The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I read The Shadow of the Wind over a year ago it remaining in my top ten. It inspired me to write along with wanting to go to Barcelona; an all around feel good book. This novel constructs an intimacy with the characters, and provides humorous dialogue.

It is set in 1940’s Barcelona. Daniel Sempere’s dad brings him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a hidden library of discarded books. His father tells him that every new visitor selects a book, adopting and making sure it stays alive. The one Daniel chooses comes alive growing with him from adolescence to adulthood.

I recommend to anyone interested in a book about a book; a boy’s life lessons and dreams; and a boy uniting with his book’s character.

Sesselja

We're reading this for my local book-club next month. I first read it a year ago, and although I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was all there. There was something missing for me to be able to say this was a really good book. I'll be reading it again soon, to refresh my memory of it in time for the book-club meeting. I'm interested to see if my view on it will change on a second reading.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I’m posting the below because I’ve been waiting and wanting this book to be made into a movie. *Sigh* Anyways, I do like Mr. Zafon’s response in making his novel a movie.

B&N.com: There is talk of a movie based on The Shadow of the Wind: rumors about whether or not the rights are up for sale, speculation about whether it will be filmed in Hollywood or in Spain, and questions as to whether you, being both an author and screenwriter, would allow others to write the screenplay. What's your view? What would your choice be?

CRZ: Since I have some experience in this area, I am especially cautious regarding the possibility of a film adaptation. If it is to happen, it will be because I feel the right elements are brought together and I'm persuaded that the adventure is worth a try. But at any rate this is not a priority for me at all. I think it is good that novels stay novels, and that there's no need at all for everything to become a movie, a TV show, a video game, a kiddie meal, or a licensed toy of the month. Nothing can tell a story, convey a world, and render characters with the intensity, depth, and magic that literature allows. The Shadow of the Wind will be always first and foremost a book, and proudly so.

Here is a celebrity discussion regarding The Shadow of the Wind. The discussion is dated 2005, but it’s nice to see celebrities reading and discussing books.

P.S. Mud, I'm waiting for you to finish and discuss. :D

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I loved this book too.
I suspect I'd avoid a movie made from it. I usually find movies from books I love so disappointing.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I loved this book too.
I suspect I'd avoid a movie made from it. I usually find movies from books I love so disappointing.
I normally do too. This is one of my top favorites and I would like to see it played out on the big screen. I've had the scenes in my mind, what the Cemetery of Forgotten Books will look like, a rainy Barcelona, the mysterious Julian Carax and Fermin, one of the funniest characters I've read. I'll have to re-read this one to get me back to writing. :D

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I'm over 3/4 of the way done and, unless he does something crazy with the ending, it will likely go down as one of my favorite books. I'm going to be studying abroad next spring and during my time off I'd like to catch a train to Barcelona - mostly because of this book.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely one of my favourite books!

Has anyone read The Angel's Game? Does it compare at all to TSOTW?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this for the first time at Chapters a couple weeks ago, and it looked amazing.

I've been on an enforced book moratorium since hubby and I are living on one income. I'm hoping I might find it used somewhere. But if everyone loves it this much, it won't happen! I'll have to wait until I get a job. Good to know it's as good as it looked.

Combine history and mystery and I'm there. Always. Plus, between Gaudi architecture and stuffing myself on tapas, I already want to go to Spain.

rosiroo

Chasing the flow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am currently reading "The Angels Game", by the same author- and that is wonderful. Shadow of the Wind is looking at me from a few feet away, and I intend to get stuck into that asap.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed Shadow of the Wind. It was wonderful in all the important ways. Sadly, The Angel's Game did not live up to my expectations, which were very high, but I'll read whatever else this author publishes.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
So I finished The Shadow of the Wind and personally, for me, the ending was a bit of a let-down. Still a wonderful book though. And I finished reading Angel's Game a few days ago - I think overall, maybe I like it a little more than The Shadow of the Wind, actually. What really tips it for me is that I felt the ending to Angel's Game was very fitting - a combination of sad, hopeful, beautiful, etc, whereas the ending to The Shadow of the Wind felt like a bit of a cop-out to me. My only issue with Angel's Game, really, was that...

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
AC is never really explained. I'm thinking maybe he might've been the devil but I don't like to be forced into guessing. I feel like Zafon really should've addressed that.

Last edited:

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I actually found a copy at Value Village for around 3 bucks. I was thrilled! Just finished it a week or two ago. I thought it was amazing.

I don't know if it was the writing alone, or if the translation helped a hundredfold, but the language was superlative.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Digging up this old thread, I was in a bookshop the other day and picked it up by chance, I was immediately hooked in the beginning but as I skimmed through it I found the violence scenes a little gratuitous.

Heartily recommended? Should I buy it?

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
heartily recommended. the violence never felt gratuitous to me, and the violent scenes are only a very small part of the book anyway. And, don't take this the wrong way, but why in the world would you skim? Doesn't that ruin it for you?

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
heartily recommended. the violence never felt gratuitous to me, and the violent scenes are only a very small part of the book anyway. And, don't take this the wrong way, but why in the world would you skim? Doesn't that ruin it for you?

I was in the bookshop, after reading the first chapter I just chose different chapters to see how the rest of the book was. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Digging up this old thread, I was in a bookshop the other day and picked it up by chance, I was immediately hooked in the beginning but as I skimmed through it I found the violence scenes a little gratuitous.

Heartily recommended? Should I buy it?

Highly recommended, echoes of Dickens for me.