Who's in Love With Laurie King?

civilian chic

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MightyPenEditing.com
I always love to read a writer who defies genre. They prove it can be done. I just started The Bee Keeper's Apprentice and am totally in love ... it's about this young girl who hangs out with Sherlock Holmes, writing about him, Watson and Doyle ("who didn't paint a very realistic picture of the man")... Oh my God. I love it.

Keeping Watch is also terrific, and utterly dissimilar.

It seems like it would be hard NOT to get pidgin-holed... or to play toward the idea that that's a good thing, series or no. Italio Calvino is another writer who has been successful at jumping genres (If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, eh? Eh?)

My library only has one Laurie King book, so I make them do the inter-library-loan thing and take satisfaction in making a pain-in-the-arse point.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have and I love her books.
Folly is excellent if you haven't read it yet.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hmm....that's hard to say overall. In the books with the Sherlock theme, I'd say yes. They do all have the same tone.

In the others, I think it's there but you have to look for it or be very familiar with her style. (Or at least have read a couple of her books back to back - you notice it more that way)

I'm always checking our shelves to see if there's something new up there. Sometimes there is - if someone else hasn't beaten me to it - again.

civilian chic

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MightyPenEditing.com
I'm reading Folly now. (It keeps me up at night and gives me bad dreams) ... and I do see King having a particular style... She refuses to hurry, I think. Her writing is thoughtful, and where convention would have her using a little more brevity, she doesn't.

I didn't know there were more than one Sherlock Holmes-themed book... yea!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you liked it. :D For me, it was one of those books that made me sorry it ended. I wanted to keep reading it.