Rebecca Wells and the YA-YAs!

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just ordered the first in the series, I'll tell you more about it once I recieve it and read it. I adore the movie!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
The book is way different than the movie. The first in the Series is Little Altars Everywhere. I actually read it after I read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and was glad I did. They are good books, but as Jade said, darker than the movie.
Let us know what you think when you get done with it!

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Should I read Divine before or after Little Alters...I ordered Little Alters Everywhere.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I've finished reading Little Alters Everywhere and I have to say....

The Ya Ya's and parents suck! They drink, fight, try to molest their kids...and that's just the Walkers! Vivi is a horrible mom in this book and should seriously be beat. She dislikes the idea of having her kids because they take attention away from her. She tries to feel and touch on her 12 year old son! She treats Siddalee like a rival and her mean mother Buggy is not that mean here. She is nuts, yeah, but Vivi is too! Shep is a drunk who finally decides after the kids are grown that he should stop drinking! The family is horrible and I can't wait to read the second book Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood!

I've ordered it but it takes a few weeks to get here.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Yea, Altars was a bit rough, good book, but rough. I was glad to have read Ya-Ya's first.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
I've ordered the Divine Secrets through the same vendor on Amazon and got them both used for a penny + 3.49 shipping each. The first was a beautiful book that looked brand new! I hope this one is the same.

3.50 for hardcover novels is one great find!

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my YaYa's Divine Secret book, looks brand new again! Great buy from Amazon and I began reading last night. I'm on page 77 now and will probably take all week to read since I have some things to do this week. So far, so good, a great read and much better than the Little Alters Everywhere. Funny thing is, the first LAE had no quotes around dialog, DSOTYYS does!

AmyBA

I'm a believer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amyba.com
I really liked Divine Secrets so much better than Little Altars-- maybe because I read it first? It is a bit lighter than Little Altars, and I think the story line flows better too.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Divine Secrets is just a more sympathetic book all the way around--and even in their dysfunction, I could love and empathize with the characters.

I really loved the book--but I also have a strongly southern family. The movie, I thought, was a terrible disappointment.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished it tonight, it was good! Much better than the first and had a happy ending. I loved it!