Ask Nathan Bransford! Guest agent from 02/07 - 12/09!

Status
Not open for further replies.

queen13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
not sure

I never seem to ask the right questions on these forums, but here goes. Do publishers and agents look down on stories where one perspective is in first perspective and the other person's is in third perspective? Secondly is 87,000 words too much for a first time ya author? How do publsihers feel about the excessive use of italics?

LaFemme

Hi Nathan

Do you know of a site that lists the top agents who represent either fantasy or YA novels?

If anyone else on this board does know of such a site, I would appreciate your help in this regard.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on your definition of "top agent."

However, Querytracker.net is an excellent site that shows you all agents in all genres.

It's fabulous.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread going on this, but I thought I'd ask an agent's opinion, too.

How open do you think a publisher would be to a YA novel geared toward girls with a male main character? There's still a prominent female character in it, but the POV is the guy's. Does MC gender matter at all?

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersinprogresswip.blogspot.com
Hi Nathan

Do you know of a site that lists the top agents who represent either fantasy or YA novels?

If anyone else on this board does know of such a site, I would appreciate your help in this regard.

I don't know about "top agents" but Preditors and Editors has some recommendations and indicates if the agent has made $ for writers.

KaiaSonderby

The Little Aspie That Could
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aerodaydreams.livejournal.com
I seriously hope I'm putting this in the right place. I've been looking around for a while now trying to find the answer or at least where to put the question.

Here it is: I work at a review site. Not a huge world famous one, mind you, but fairly popular and gaining. Do I include this information in a query? Is it the sort of thing agents and editors want people to be straightforward about?

I really don't want it to look like I was trying to hide something should they find out about it later.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nathan,

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In
a mystery novel I'm writing, I am inclined to write the first chapter from the POV of Character A, but the rest of the book from the POV of Character B. Maybe it will work, but I'm concerned that the switch might lead the reader to expect a multi-viewpoint book, which--except for the first chapter--it isn't.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] So
I thought I might simply call the first chapter a prologue. (The action is continuous. Such a prologue would not be a flashback or flash-forward.)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

However, I recently attended a panel discussion of editors and agents here in New York, during which one agent indicated that prologues are
old-fashioned and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that he would not want to read any mystery manuscript that included one. His attitude seemed a bit extreme to me. Are prologues really so passé?[/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT]

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dormroomdreamer.blogspot.com
Mr. Bransford

I'm a freshman in college and a Creative Writing major and am considering a double major in advertising/Public relations or just a minor in marketing. I definitely want to be a writer, but I also want to work on the other side of publishing. What does it take to become a literary agent? I know there is no set degree, but is there one or a combination that would aid me best in this career?

Also, do you have to live in NY or California? I'm from florida and I have already inquired to 3 agencies here if they take on interns and most work out of home offices so unfortunately they don't. I know the Knight Agency is based out of Georgia so I may try them.

Anyway, what will help me best to pursue this career? Will I have to spend many years in NY or California or just back and forth? I know many agencies are proving the stereotype "only agencies in NY thrive" wrong. I'm sorry for such a long question, but there really isn't much on the subject that I've come across in my research.

Thank you for your time.

Elizabeth

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Climbing over brick walls

Hello Nathan,
Well, I'll give you the long story/short. I have completed my MS and approached about a dozen agents and recieved a dozen rejects. That's okay, I know how it is for rookies. So, being science fiction, I sent the MS to the two biggest SF publishers in NY. After a year, no reply. Not surprising in this climate. I began to wonder if my novel was not as wonderful as I thought. So I put a sample out on the net and got very positive feedback from both male AND female readers. I am very cautious about approaching anyone on the web, especially when they promise me the moon. So here's the question. How in the world do I score an agent or publisher. Thank's for your time and I will appreciate any input.
Regards,
Telford

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Step 1 - write a killer query letter and post it in the Share Your Work thread here so that writers more experienced in agent-seeking can offer you guidance. Look at Queryshark.blogspot for guidance on constructing this letter. Search through the agent blogs for more advice and examples of successful queries.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
What waylander said. Unfortunately, it's not enough to write a good book. You have to be able to write a query letter that tells agents/editors why it's a good book and why it's worth their time to read it.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Although, I note you write, "I put a sample on the net." Which to me suggests that perhaps you haven't had a serious beta reader for the whole thing. If you have, well, I'll toodle off. If you have not had a disinterested person read through the whole book and give you a thorough critique, that is also a good place to start. That person may also be able to give you suggestions on how to pitch your book in a query letter.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Also, don't forget to keep writing! Even if your first book is brilliant and eventually gets published, you'll need a follow-up (preferably NOT a sequel). And if your first book does not get published, you have another basket to put those eggs in...

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Red, that is sound advice. But first I have to get the damn thing read. I would actually be happy if someone read it and put me out of my misery by telling me that it's rubbish. That at least would be input. Oh well, back to the grindstone. Cheers.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kell, and I agree. You can't sit back and let your writing muscles atrophy. I am actually half way through my next book. Cheers.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Thank's again Titan. Hey I finally stumbled into the right thread? How the hell did I do that? Cheers.

Addicted2writing

Registered
Reaction score
YA/Adult Crossovers

Mr. Bransford.

I have written a YA supernatural suspense and am starting to wonder if it has crossed over into the adult audience. The MC’s are in the senior high age bracket. I do believe that it would interest both age groups. In my query would I say it is ‘crossover’ or would this put the agents off?

You did make this comment a few years ago in this forum:

“To me the separation between YA and adult is not thematic, it has more to do with pacing. When you read a YA novel the pace tends to happen quicker, the books tend to be shorter, and things happen in a more straightforward fashion, on the surface. In an adult novel, even an adult novel about high schoolers, things unfold more slowly, there tends to be more subtlety and ambiguity. In other words, I think the YA/Adult split is more about the telling than the themes.”

I also know you are not a stickler for word count, but have suggested that 40-60K is average for YA.

This leads to my next question: My novel is just over 80k and has a very exciting fast pace on the surface (most ‘things happen in a straightforward fashion’). On the other hand, there are also a few sub-plots and twists that link up like pieces of a puzzle (subtleties and ambiguities that unfold more slowly). It is these subtleties that when put together provides the answers the reader has been asking throughout the book. So as you can see; I have a problem working out where to fit it. I still think it is crossover, but I am not the expert (wink).

Thanks in advance for your valued advice.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hi A2W. I'm obviously not Nathan, but your question gets asked a lot on this board, and the usual answer is that you should never classify a book as "crossover" or say it's for "all ages". Pick either YA or adult, or just give the genre without either, and let the agent decide.

My forever example is Twilight. SMeyer wrote it as an adult novel, but her agent sold it as YA. In the end both YA and adults clicked with the material, but it wasn't sold that way.

Addicted2writing

Registered
Reaction score
Hi A2W. I'm obviously not Nathan, but your question gets asked a lot on this board, and the usual answer is that you should never classify a book as "crossover" or say it's for "all ages". Pick either YA or adult, or just give the genre without either, and let the agent decide.

My forever example is Twilight. SMeyer wrote it as an adult novel, but her agent sold it as YA. In the end both YA and adults clicked with the material, but it wasn't sold that way.

Thanks for the advice Cyia. FYI: Steph's Twilight series is what inspired me to write in the first place (and I am approaching 40 - way too fast).

RoseMarie

Words ARE my blood...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nathan (assuming you are still checking on this)

Alright, much to my sheepishness, I cannot work a forum. I can learn how to use a brand new program on a computer within an hour but forums are evil to me lol. I'm hoping I did this right.
So my question for Nathan is this....

If someone wanted to briefly tweak the history of someone historical, is that acceptable?
For example; Queen "Bloody" Mary was really a vampire.
That's just an example and isn't true (so far that we know of lol) so would we get in trouble for writing such a thing? I'm assuming it would be alright if it was labeled fiction, but one can never be too sure.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hi RoseMarie. I'm not an agent, but what you're suggesting is called alternate history and it's quite popular. You won't get into any trouble for it, as long as you don't feature any living people who could sue you for libel.

Addicted2writing

Registered
Reaction score
Series

I know I am jumping the gun here, but I am a dreamer and now and then I do find myself wondering. If I was fortunate enough to land an agent and then be taken up by a publisher who was keen on a series (and therefore offers a 3/4/# book deal). How long is a writer usually given to complete each subsequent book in that series? Am I wrong to assume it might be about a year between books? Does the first book still get printed in the same time frame as stand-alones? Or do they hold back on the printing until they are satisfied that the next will be completed to their deadline/specifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.