The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

SlowRain

Registered
Reaction score
The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (8/10)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140131558/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

This is a collection of three loosely connected novellas, ostensibly set in the mystery genre. However, I think hard-core mystery readers will find them a little too introspective and metaphysical for their tastes; it will probably be more appreciated by readers of literary fiction.

City of Glass is about an author–who writes mystery novels under a pseudonym–who receives a wrong number asking for a private detective. Pretending to be the private detective, he takes on the case that ultimately takes a bizarre twist as it addresses the very nature and essence of language, humanity, and identity.

Ghosts is a story about a private investigator, Blue, who is hired by Mr. White to report on the activities of Black, a writer. The case takes on a bizarre twist as it stretches out over a year, and tears Blue's life apart, never to be the same.

The Locked Room is about a struggling writer who is approached by the widow of his childhood friend–whom he greatly admired and was jealous of–to help publish some books and poems that were written before the friend's disappearance. The missing husband's writing is brilliant and his widow is beautiful; these two things combine to, firstly, change the direction of the narrator's personal and professional life, and, secondly, to launch him on a quest to emulate and destroy the life of his missing friend, who may not be dead after all.

If these descriptions sound weird, it's only the tip of the iceberg. Auster raises more questions than he answers, and covers a wide range of topics that will leave your head spinning. In the end, because of the loose interconnection, these stories really mess with your head, but they are entertaining. This is one book that will definitely benefit from a second reading. Also, the reason why I'm posting this on Absolutewrite.com is because writers and the craft of writing both play an important role and are extensively discussed. I highly recommend this book to the struggling writer, just so that you know someone else out there understands you.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
City of Glass is a masterpiece. One of the strangest, most haunting "detective" stories ever written.

(By the way, City of Glass shows up in my novel; my main character is reading it for one of her classes. My agent didn't know of the book and thought I should cut it, but I didn't. Couldn't. :))

NatJM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foodforyourmindblog.com
Paul Auster

Paul Auster has been my favourite writer for many years and I am currently rediscovering his work, by re-reading all of his novels and catching up with his most recent ones.

Does anyone else like him too?

His books were one of the reasons I wanted to visit New York, and when I finally did so last year, I visited various areas of Brooklyn, in an enchanted haze. My favourite area was Park Slope, and in fact, my partner and I liked it so much that we considered moving there, but getting a Visa would have been too complicated (we are british/french) so we gave up. Anyway, imagine my great pleasure when I recently picked a copy of "The Brooklyn Follies", with most of the story set in Park Slope!

As I enjoy his books so much, and as New York is part of the attraction for me, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other New York writers I might like.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I like Auster so much I used his "City of Glass" as a trope in my novel.

I recommend his nonfiction Hand to Mouth if you haven't read it.

Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn is an Austersque, New York novel that you might enjoy. Also, if you've never seen Auster's film Smoke, I recommend that as well.

Liska

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizoksbooks.blogspot.com
I second Will's recommendation of Motherless Brooklyn. I've given it many times as a gift, and each recipient enjoyed it.

Paul Auster's wife, Siri Hustvedt, is also an excellent writer. I enjoyed her The Blindfold and The Enchantment of Lily Dahl very much.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of Paul Auster, and just happen to share the same birthday. After having visited Brooklyn (I'm European) when my son lived there for 6 months, loving it, I enjoyed The Brooklyn Follies . I also found Timbuktu and Travels in the Scriptorum very original.