Meg Cabot discussion...

Jordygirl

Nothing doing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redthebook.blogspot.com
I'm curious as to what other people think of Meg Cabot's books. I know she's known as the "queen" of YA, but is that just because she's written so many books? Am I the only person who thinks she's overrated? And, if you do like her... why?

And will anyone even click on ths post...
I guess I'll see, huh?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I'm curious as to what other people think of Meg Cabot's books. I know she's known as the "queen" of YA, but is that just because she's written so many books? Am I the only person who thinks she's overrated? And, if you do like her... why?

And will anyone even click on ths post...
I guess I'll see, huh?

I read Size 12 is Not Fat (Excellent title! <G>) and enjoyed it.

Meg spoke at the RWA National conference last year, and she was a very entertaining speaker -- very amusing. Made me totally want to come home and read one of her books -- and I did.

But, would I say she's "all that," head-and-shoulders above all other YA authors? No, I probably wouldn't, and I'm not saying that to insult Meg. It's just that I've read a lot of terrific YA stuff.

It just shows you that there really IS an element of luck in hitting it big in this business. I was recently reading an article that referenced a book, I think it was called Prep. Many editors passed on the book, saying "The Prep school book has already been done." For whatever reason, THIS Prep school book caught lightning in a bottle, and took off, making it really big. <shrug>

You never can tell who or what will be the next big thing. I'm sure there were numerous other boy-wizard books before Harry Potter -- but it was Harry Potter that hit it.

Susan G.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I love Meg Cabot. I love the concepts of her books and the fun YA voice. I can't really explain it more than that... I also think she's popular because she has so many books, and there's a Meg Cabot book for everyone. (Okay, not really for everyone, but most girls have had at least one Meg Cabot novel peak their interest.)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yes, there were a hundred boy wizard books before HP. Diane Duane's Young Wizard's series is one...she's written tons of books, and not many know about her.

Jane Yolen's Wizard Hall series was before HP, and yet several people claimed she stole the idea from JKR.

While I adore Harry, I know it's not an original idea by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Miss Meg, I love the original Princess Diaries, and I want to read her Avalon High books (the next is coming out as manga only, which could be interesting.)

And if you've ever read her blog, she really acts like the kids she writes for - but not in a bad way, I mean young and full of energy.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
And if you've ever read her blog, she really acts like the kids she writes for - but not in a bad way, I mean young and full of energy.

Exactly. And funny! :) Like I said, that's what sold me to go and read Size 12. :)

(Besides, who can resist that title? <G> Not me!)

Susan G.

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
Okay, I just started The Boy Next Door. I'm about 30 pages in and the MC is bowing out of every invitation with the excuse that she has to walk her sick neighbor's dog. I want to scream at her, "They have dogwalkers in NYC! Get one... or at least tell my why you're not." Please tell me it gets better?