Snow Crash

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. All I can say is, "Wow!" (Okay, I lied, there's quite a bit more to follow).

For those of you who've never heard of it, Snow Crash is a science fiction novel, smartly written and dazzling in its concise complexity, that belongs to an increasingly popular subcategory of SF called "cyberpunk."

What does this mean?

Think The Matrix. Only better. Faster. Smarter. Meaner.

Snow Crash is set in a near-future world and centers around the story of a hacker, Hiro Protagonist, and a 15-year-old street thrasher named Y.T. Hiro is also a pizza delivery boy for the Mafia and the greatest sword-fighter in the world.

Basically, nothing is missing from this book. From the opening high-speed pizza delivery to the adrenaline-pumping climax involving what seems like the entire citizenry of the lower West Coast, the book's energy does not abate.

I've never read anything so amazingly well-paced, and so complex yet easy to get into.

Basically, what I'm saying it this: all you AWers need to read this book.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Yes. Yes.

I cosign on all of what the OP said. That book was awesome.

Every little thing that happened was signifigant, everything came together in the end. It was one of those books that something happens (and it was cool!) but you're left wondering why it was important. Then you get to the end and you're like, that's why!

Diamond Age by him was very good too.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's post-cyberpunk. But I was blown away by it to. If you're not hooked after the first two pages, you and I don't have much in common. How could you not love a beginning like that?

Virtually everything else Stephenson has done is fantastic. And Snow Crash was my entry point into his catalogue

pickman

Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Snow Crash this week, and I agree with The Grift - the opening is brilliant. I'm only about six chapters in, but the fast pace of the opening really hooked me. I'm looking forward to reading more.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah! I just finished. There is much to learn from Neal. The world he creates is amazing, and the characters are more like friends. I'm sad to part with them. The words he chooses are almost overwhelming. I was in love after about the third page of Cryptonomicon.

Neal is in serious contention for my favorite author. Okay, nope, it's settled. He is.

Nicole

SirBiatch

Registered
Reaction score
this book sucked. I tried to get into it, but it was simply too dull and not enough action.

I think I got to page 100 and stopped. by then, if nothing interesting is going on, I usually call it a day.

The Matrix > Snow Crash by a mile