Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell

rosebud1981

росебуд1
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody here read this? Just thought I'd ask since this is a very relevant book for any aspiring author. Less famous than 1984 and Animal Farm it shows that could Orwell could write about more than political themes.

The MC is Gordon Comstock, who probably borrows a lot from Orwell himself. He quits a good job at an advertising agency to concentrate on writing poetry and struggles throughout with society's fascination for money and the need to have a "good job". He is disillusioned with the capitalist society and seeks higher meaning, but becomes destructive to himself and his few friends.
It's about a man of principles who tries to hold on to them and then wonders if he is doing the right thing or if he should "sell out".

These must be ideas that occur to everybody who wants to pursue an artistic career but has pressure from other people (and maybe from one's self) to take a more practical job and forego their dreams.

Highly recommended :)

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I read it as an undergraduate at Rutgers. The aspidistra, apparently, was a symbol of cohesion of the middle class in England--if I remember correctly. I remember that I liked it, but it has been years. Alas, I forget most of it.

Gerry