Susan Cooper Anybody?

enchantedfire5

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.guardianoftheseventhrealm.com
Has anyone in here ever read Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising?" I know it's not hardcore fantasy but those books were some of the best books I've read. They were just fast paced and exciting for me, especialy the title book "The Dark is Rising." "Greenwitch" was a little boring though, but nonetheless it was a great series.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I've read and enjoyed them since I was a preteen. Very good. My favorite is "The Grey King."

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
loved them as a kid and have re-read them and still love them as an adult. she's written a book about her own experiences and ideas about writing for kids-- think it might be called "dreams and wishes"-- which i enjoyed too.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I read those when I was in... sixth grade? Loved them. It's been so long I can't even remember what they were about, though.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Read them as a kid, still occasionally re-read them now. I loved The Dark is Rising and Silver on the Tree best, I think.

Can't wait for the movie to come out!

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Can't wait for the movie to come out!

I'm a huge fan of Cooper's Dark Is Rising books. With that said, I think it's only fair to mention the movie's director has made sweeping changes to the story and characters, and it doesn't sound good. To the point that I'm considering sitting outside the theater with my book and a sign that says, "Save your money - buy the book instead."

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, damn. What kind of changes? I noticed the preview looked a bit...off, but I never put much stock in previews (plus I was waiting for HP5 to start, so I wasn't paying much attention).

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Oh, damn. What kind of changes? I noticed the preview looked a bit...off, but I never put much stock in previews (plus I was waiting for HP5 to start, so I wasn't paying much attention).

The family's American, instead of British.
The parents are career-oriented to the point of almost ignoring their kids.
Will's 13 (remember the book began on his 11th birthday)
Will fights with his brothers.
Max (the older brother in art school, who was a minor character in the book) is Will's best friend and role model.
Speaking of Max, he's pierced and tattooed and very defiant of the father.
Merriman, who was described as tall, gaunt and sharp-nosed, is being played by Ian MacShane. (I love the actor, but he is not Merriman.)
The Arthurian themes are all but wiped out.

Here's a better breakdown of most of the changes: http://community.livejournal.com/authorblog/5880.html

It breaks my heart, since I've loved the books for over twenty years.

Just Mike

A trifle upsetting, isn't he
Registered
Reaction score
It breaks my heart, since I've loved the books for over twenty years.

I have a cold lump in my chest as well. Given that they paid a lot of money to option the book, why would they change so much? I understand the director's impulse to "own" the film, but good gravy this is beyond the pale!

To address the OP, The Dark is Rising played a fair role in my youthfull decision to become a writer. I happen to agree with you that Greenwitch played a bit slow, but was a worthwhile read in its time as a part of the overall series.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Great book series! Only three changes have been made in the movie, that is, the main character's age, the main character's nationality, and everything else in the story. That the author seems to have approved of these changes, gives me a sick feeling. I smell sellout here. :mad:

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Oh - that is heartbreaking. What were they thinking?

I'm not sure I could watch that without getting seriously POd.

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
Wow. A lot of those changes I could tolerate, but I simply don't see how they can leave out all the Arthurian stuff (which is HUGE).

Ian McKellan would do a good Merriman, except that he already played Gandalf.

If there has to be a love interest, it really should be Jane (keeping things all in the family, so to speak), although I think she really would have been Bran's love interest, not Will's.

enchantedfire5

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.guardianoftheseventhrealm.com
Wow, I didn't know they were making a movie! And they've taken away the Arthurian theme? That was the most facsinating part in "The Dark is Rising" when the flood uncovered the ship.

And it's called "The Seeker?" What the hell!!

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
Those books have been some of my favorites ever since I first read them. I'm a bit worried about the changes as well; the ones mentioned sound potentially okay; I'm worried they're going to change the character of Will though. For me, the heart of those stories has always been Will's balance between having the wisdom of an Old One and being an ordinary kid; I'm afraid they're going to change that part to make him more of a Harry-Potter-ish character. (Not that I have anything against Harry Potter, but that's not who Will is supposed to be.)

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the Dark is Rising and still do. For the longest time I didn't realize she'd written anything else, then found The Boggart, which I hated. This summer I read The King of Shadows which I thoroughly enjoyed. Began Seaward, but haven't gotten into it yet.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Oh no!

An American director ruining another set of good British books? I shouldn't be surprised, Disney ruined Winnie the Pooh the same way.

Wasn't the first book 'Over Sea, Under Stone' then 'The Dark is Rising,' 'Greenwitch' and the 'Silver on the Tree'?

If you like Susan Cooper you might like Alan Garner's 'Weirdstone of Brisingham' and 'Elidor' or 'Earthfast' by William Mayne.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
pdr - The Grey King comes between Greenwitch and Silver on the Tree (I thought Bran was a wonderful character too - and the scene where the dog was pinned to the floor by magic was the one that really stuck in my memory).
Ian Richardson would have made a superb Merriman, if he'd lived.
And Christopher Eccleston is the Dark Rider.

I found it a bit hard to get into Seaward, too, but there are some interesting ideas in there.

thursdayb

Bitten with the writing bug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thursdaybram.com
I almost cried when I saw the preview -- it's so horribly different. It seems that the director had some issues with some of the more religious-y stuff in the book and after that had been excised, everything else was entirely fair game.

On the other hand, the preview did inspire me to a) re-read _The Dark is Rising_, b) look up Susan Cooper and find a bunch of adult fiction of her's that I never heard of, and c) swear not to waste my hard earned money on a crappy movie.

thursdayb

Bitten with the writing bug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thursdaybram.com
These are at least some of her adult titles: _Mandrake_, _Dawn of Fear_, _Seaward_, _The Boggart_, _King of Shadows_ and _Green Boy_.