Walden

Ren

I'm not clever enough for this...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently re-reading Walden for the first time since it was assigned to me in high school.

So far my opinion of it has not changed since then. I am finding it boring, narcissistic, and hypocritical, just as I did the first time I read through it.

I'm assuming most people were made to read this book. My question is, has anyone here read it because they wanted to? Also, does anyone have a good opinion of it, and if so where is the good stuff hiding?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I also read it as part of a high school curriculum. I couldn't tell you one thing about it -- I remember nothing, nor do I recall every actually reading it. I do remember the transcendalism projects we had to do as a result, so I must've turned the pages.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I actually found the book fascinating! I came across it as an adult, and I knew vaguely that the author was something to do with the Green movement, or had been adopted as a sort of mascot, since he was writing long before there was a Green movement.
He had some odd ideas, but the natural history, and the descriptions of the pond, were beautiful, and led me on to read more of his natural history.

Ren

I'm not clever enough for this...
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the description is beautiful, I'll agree with that. But..... he makes it seem like he really experienced Nature, and he was really not that far from town, and his "cabin" looks like a cozy little house to me. It had wall paper.

I say, if you're going to go live in the woods for two years and experience a simple life of solitude, blah blah blah etc. you might as well do it right and go out far enough that you can't walk to town or a neighbor whenever you run out of milk. And no cabin in the woods should have wallpaper. It just isn't right.

I think I'm being biased..... I try not to be, but Thoreau really strikes me as something of a wimp. He just rubs me the wrong way I guess.

lostintheweb

Registered
Reaction score
I knew vaguely that the author was something to do with the Green movement, or had been adopted as a sort of mascot, since he was writing long before there was a Green movement.

Ironically, I read a few years back that Walden Pond is now (or, at least, was then) one of the most polluted bodies of water in the State of Massachusetts.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
it can be fairly boring, i wouldnt say it's vain or narcissticic, i just think his style can turn people off, especially if theyre not as into nature as he is.

i think the passage of the two ants fighting is simply brilliant though.