The Giver

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard of this book by Lois Lowry and have read a small bit about it. I'd like to ask a question of anyone who's read it: What age is it appropriate for? I saw The Giver has been criticized for being inappropriate for children despite having won the Newbery Honour. My son is 10. Is he ready?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I just heard of this book by Lois Lowry and have read a small bit about it. I'd like to ask a question of anyone who's read it: What age is it appropriate for? I saw The Giver has been criticized for being inappropriate for children despite having won the Newbery Honour. My son is 10. Is he ready?

The themes presented in The Giver are better appreciated by older kids, IMHO. In the school district here, they teach it in 6th grade, and I think that's too young. I really think, given the issues/themes/social commentary, it's better suited for like, freshman.

It's a FABULOUS book, though. Absolutely outstanding. Very thought provoking.

But not one I'd recommend for a 10-year-old. I'd recommend it for all adults, though. :)

Susan G.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I read it when I was fourteen, and felt I was much too old and I'd spoiled it by waiting so long.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say ten is fine. There's nothing inappropriate or traumatizing that I could recall. However, a ten-year-old may not be able to grasp the meaning of the novel; then again, maybe they would. It really depends on the child.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I asked my daughter, 19 now, and she said she read it at age ten (4th grade,) and again in 7th-both as assignments. She then chose to read it again as a high school junior. She said it was appropriate at all three ages and each time she got something different from it.
My other four kids have all read it around 10-12 and it's popping up for them in their middle and high school years.
We all love it, at every age here, and we have a couple of copies floating around.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Caro, it's a pretty quick read-you're probably the best judge of whether it's appropriate for your child. And I bet you'll like it :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Caro, it's a pretty quick read-you're probably the best judge of whether it's appropriate for your child. And I bet you'll like it :)
Since it comes so highly recommended, I'll definitely get hold of a copy and read it myself. That way I'll know whether I can give it to my son to read.

Thank you to all!!

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say ten is fine. There's nothing inappropriate or traumatizing that I could recall. However, a ten-year-old may not be able to grasp the meaning of the novel; then again, maybe they would. It really depends on the child.

Some ten-year-olds probably wouldn't mind it. Great book, but traumatizing enough I wouldn't let my elderly mother read it.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
The Giver by Lois Lowry

I bought the book after seeing that it was a Newbery Medal winner, an award which I had great respect for. I just read the book yesterday, and I have to say it didn't disappoint me. No, that's way understated. Almost from the moment Jonas became the Receiver, I was crying every page. Beautifully crafted, with a deep message. And the ending was awesome too.

I've read some criticisms that the book's symbolism is too heavy-handed, but I didn't feel that. It had just enough emotional power, just the right story, just the right plot. At first, the first impression I got after reviewing the novel was that it was a Christian allegory, but now that I think back I think the symbolism was more Buddhist than anything else.

Anyways, I think everyone should read it. It is certainly a great ride for children and adults alike.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the book after seeing that it was a Newbery Medal winner, an award which I had great respect for. I just read the book yesterday, and I have to say it didn't disappoint me. No, that's way understated. Almost from the moment Jonas became the Receiver, I was crying every page. Beautifully crafted, with a deep message. And the ending was awesome too.

I've read some criticisms that the book's symbolism is too heavy-handed, but I didn't feel that. It had just enough emotional power, just the right story, just the right plot. At first, the first impression I got after reviewing the novel was that it was a Christian allegory, but now that I think back I think the symbolism was more Buddhist than anything else.

Anyways, I think everyone should read it. It is certainly a great ride for children and adults alike.

Oh my GOOOOOOOODDDDDDD! I haven't thought about the Giver in so long. Easily one of the best books I've ever read. Ever. Expertly crafted, and unique. And disturbing. Really introduced me to ideas I'd never thought about before, like the value of uniqueness and the pain of human experience, which, in turn, makes us human.

Rep for bringing this up. Wow, what a nostalgia trip...

LAWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely one of my favorites. A beautiful book that needs to be on everyone's bookshelf.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
Umm...

I liked the story, but I was unsatisfied with too many things in it, including the ending that didn't seem to fit. *hiding from tomatoes*

I know many love the book, but I thought it was just "okay". Interesting, quick read, but not something I loved.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
I loved this book! Of all the literature I had to read in my various English classes, only a handful really stood out, The Giver among them.

I think I was in middle school when I read it. It was powerful and disturbing even then; I'm not sure what my reaction would be to it now...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I read it as an adult. I slipped easily into its world and it gripped me completely. It's one of the handful of books I've stayed up till the middle of the night to finish.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the story, but I was unsatisfied with too many things in it, including the ending that didn't seem to fit. *hiding from tomatoes*

I know many love the book, but I thought it was just "okay". Interesting, quick read, but not something I loved.

Shun the non-believer! Shun the non-believer!

Last edited:

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
The Giver was a great book! I read it for the first time back in 6th grade. I may have to go back and give it another read one of these days, because I'm sure there is a lot I missed the first time I read it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I read it for the first time last year and thought it was wonderful. I gave it to my son to read and he loved it. It'll be my daughter's turn to read it (and love it) by next year. Even my husband, who's not a reader, finished it and thought it was great.

busy91

Registered
Reaction score
Website
busy91.blogspot.com
I read this for the first time last November. I was pleasently surprised at how much I enjoyed it as I am not into dystopian novels. It was an interesting but quick read.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Amazing, amazing book.

I'm not sure how much kids get from it, but I read it as an adult and was blown away by it. So much to think about there!

Susan G.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it as well. Read it somewhere around sixth grade iirc, and it was one of the few books that I literally couldn't put down. Very powerful stuff.

Brenduh

Registered
Reaction score
Be sure and read Gathering Blue and then The Messenger. The former is very good and the later, while not the best book I've read, brings it all together... sort of...

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
I remember someone going on about this book and i thought: 'what could be so great about it?'
And then i read it for my 8th grade english class. i finished the book that very night.
loved it! still one of my favorites. and whenever i see it in a library or book store - cannot help but read the section where he gets his assignment.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
The Giver is wonderful classic children's literature that can also be enjoyed by adults. The themes are thought-provoking and uncomfortable and beautiful - the hallmark of a great story. I am glad that it is read in so many middle grade classrooms and rather irritated that it has been banned in others. The Giver is on the ALA Top 100 Challenged Books list (boo hiss!). Read a banned book everyone! It's the best way to feel criminal . . . :D

Chauchat Butterfly

~*~root beer floatz~*~
Registered
Reaction score
I read this book back in the fifth grade and had to write an extra chapter that resolved the cliffhanger ending and, if I'm recalling correctly, it wound up being pretty damn good.

Edit: After more than a year of casual browsing I've finally reached post #100 ~*wootles*~

Last edited: