Outlander series, Diana Gabaldon

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
Anyone else love this series as much as I do? I haven't finished it yet... I'm on Drums of Autumn and enjoying it... If others have at least read Outlander, we can start there with the discussion. When I was reading that book, I was so engrossed in it--the love story is great, but also quite different than your average romance. I mean, Jamie beat Claire at one point after they're married (!), but somehow it works, right? As the reader, I didn't end up hating Jamie for it and tossing the book aside. Throughout the first book and the following ones I've read so far, the imperfections of Claire and Jamie's relationship only serve to make their bond more real.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I love Jamie and Claire ::;sigh:::

I read an interesting interview with Gabaldon at one point, and she commented that American readers seemed to really be fans of Jamie, but the British readers kept asking why Claire didn't just go back to that nice Roger of hers.

Other than the superbly Scottish hotness that is Jamie Fraser, my favorite character is actually Lord John. I love how his life is so intertwined with Jamie and Claire's.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I love Jamie and Claire ::;sigh:::

I read an interesting interview with Gabaldon at one point, and she commented that American readers seemed to really be fans of Jamie, but the British readers kept asking why Claire didn't just go back to that nice Roger of hers.

Other than the superbly Scottish hotness that is Jamie Fraser, my favorite character is actually Lord John. I love how his life is so intertwined with Jamie and Claire's.

Roger becomes Claire's son-in-law (whoops, big spoiler)....FRANK is the husband she left when she went through the stones.

I adore the Outlander series; it's one of my favorite series of books. At the moment - in addition to other novels (I read more than one at once) I am re-reading "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" for about the third time hoping that DG finishes the next novel soon!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm anxiously awaiting her next book. I believe she'll do two more of Jamie and Claire!!!!

The audio tapes are good while waiting. ;)

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Frank! I meant Frank... why on earth was I thinking Roger?

I liked A Breath of Snow and Ashes, although it never failes to amaze me how you can read one of her books, be 173 pages into it, and then realize you're still on the first day of the story.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
I also am a major fan of these books.

I didn't really see that scene as one in which Jamie beat his wife. I saw it as an illustration, not just of each character, but of the differences in their background and a further explanation of the setting and how each character fit in. So many time travel novels forget that a modern day person would have very different sensibilities about different cultural mores of the time. It's easy in hindsight to say something is wrong. It's different to live it. Had Gabaldon not included the scene afterward where Jamie and Claire are walking together the next day, I can see how it would go badly in a reader's perception of him as a character, but his character is contained very nicely in his reaction to Claire's modern day reaction. I thought it was pure genius.

I've really liked the books, but she seems to be wrapping up storylines (i.e. secondary characters) in some of her later books. I hope she doesn't wrap up too many loose ends until she is absolutely done with her story.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I <3 Jamie.

I read the first books in highschool. Totally in love with that man.

And you know what made the beating scene ok? Later when he finds out the truth of why she left he was sorry for it and cried becuase he understood what she was doing. Man I wish I could get a man like Jamie. . .

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
*Sigh* I just love these books. Jamie is totally swoon worthy.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
It's the Gone With the Wind of our time, folks. ;) When they finally make the movie, we'll be sitting around like women did over who was going to play 'Rhett' and who was going to play 'Scarlet' - and gods help 'em if they choose the wrong players! :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Sigh* I just love these books. Jamie is totally swoon worthy.
Yeah! And I thought red-heads were not my type--hah, proved me wrong. Jamie, whoa, indeed, and who would play his part I often wonder!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I read Outlander but discovered it was NMS. Too much romance for me. But better written than some.