The Overlook by Michael Connelly

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Another in the series of books featuring grizzled homicide detective Harry Bosch. In this one he's investigating the shooting death of an individual who handled radioactive material for the treatment of cancerous tumors. When it's discovered that the quantity he had with him at the time of his death is missing the homicide investigation takes on a homeland security dimension.

I found this to be an easy read, as all the other Bosch books have been. I like Connelly's direct style, with very little fluff. Though the resolution was a bit predictable for me, I thought the book was quite entertaining.

Anyone else read this one? How do you feel it compares to the others in the series?

Fox The Cave

I get cancer. I kill Jack.
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read The Closers so far, but I liked it and want to get the whole series from the beginning. The Black Echo comes first, no?

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read The Closers so far, but I liked it and want to get the whole series from the beginning. The Black Echo comes first, no?

Yes, that's the first one. I haven't read that one either but it's on my list. I liked The Closers quite a bit and Concrete Blond was also quite good. :)

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I liked THE OVERLOOK, but felt it was a bit more...thin than some of the other Bosch books.

I believe Connelly published this one in installments in The New York Times Magazine, and it reads like a serial novel. You can almost tell where Connelly went in and patched in backstory and detail to pump up the serial-length piece to novel length. Because of that, there are some really flat and ham-handed scenes.

Yet, like most everything Connelly does, the plot sings and Bosch is Bosch. He's the best in the business.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I have the Overlook, but haven't read it- next on my list.

My favorite Connelly book by far is The Last Coyote- I love the symbolism between the lone Coyote and Bosh's feelings of isolation and lonliness.

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If only I could create a character with the depth of Harry Bosch! Connelly is always good.