L.J Smith revived

Angel_Lorena26

Registered
Reaction score
I saw in the author's personal page that their will be a fifth installment in "The Vampire Diaries" series. Now I have to go back and reread the first three because I am sketchy on what the books were about. I remember it involved a girl and two vampire brothers......but that is pretty much it. Anyways when it comes out I want to buy it. I really loved her books you would think so I pratically have all of them. I am glad she is continuing writing... the last I heard of her was when I WAS a teenger.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know she was still writing! How cool is that?!?!?!

I waited for years for her to continue her Night World series, which never got finished. For anyone who loves vampire/paranormal YA--you simply have to pick up this author. I wonder if they'll reprint all the Night World, Secret Circle, Dark Visions & Dangerous Game series too.

Thanks for the update!

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Vampire Diaries is amazing. I only just read them, but it beats Twilight imo. The second book was hot!

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I loved L.J. Smith growing up--I still reread The Forbidden Game and the Secret Circle books. I live in hope that the last Night World book will be published, but I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

I've been able to spark interest in the Vampire Diaries books from recommending them to my teen customers: they come in wanting something with vampires and romance after reading the Twilight books, and that's what I shove into their hands. :D

Amynta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
catherine-haines.com
I am so glad Night World, Secret Circle and Vampire Diaries is being reprinted, and that after ten years Strange Fate is finally coming out! Now all they need to do is reprint The Forbidden Game and my life will be complete. :)

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
The pilot of Vampire Diaries has been bought by CBS or whichever company. I'm assuming it's L.J. Smith's series. Either way - I'm looking forward to it.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
It has officially been announced now. They definitely need some hot guys to play Stefan and Damon. I wonder how much they'll change?
I haven't read either Night World or Forbidden Game, but I did read the first book in The Secret Circle which I picked up randomly in the library. Loved it. What are those two about?

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another reason to have an agent looking after your interests as a writer. SHE might not have known the difference between a publishing deal and one with a book packager, but an agent would have.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
This sucks, and no pun intended. My condolences to LJS and her fans.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The person paying calls the shots. No different than working for any other company. Its not like they cheated her, she still got paid...

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
The only silver lining I can see to this is the lesson in just one of the pitfall of publishing to young readers and potential authors who will hear about this.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The person paying calls the shots. No different than working for any other company. Its not like they cheated her, she still got paid...

Except that if she had been writing the books for Harper directly, she would have been able to have more freedom and the characters and books would have belonged to her. Technically, yes, working for a book packager is like that and so one could argue that she shouldn't complain, but it must be devastating to work so hard on something and then be told not only that your books will no longer be published, but that other people are going to take over the series and write it THEIR way. I know people say that ignorance isn't an excuse, but I can easily see how I might have gotten involved in something out of sheer naivete, and I think most people are capable of being screwed in the same manner.

This sucks. Royally. I feel terrible for her and that she was treated so poorly. At least she has other series she can continue to work on, but still. Like someone else said, at least it will hopefully stand as a lesson to other young writers out there.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I feel terrible for her and that she was treated so poorly. At least she has other series she can continue to work on, but still. Like someone else said, at least it will hopefully stand as a lesson to other young writers out there.

There are always two sides to a story...

We do not know if HC or the book packager tried to work with her and she just refused to script the book the way they wanted.

What we do know is that she has been writing this series since the 1990's and getting paid. Apparently she had no problem cashing the checks.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
wow that's interesting.

I do have to agree with Thoth here, her fans have been waiting for the culmination of the nightworld series since the 90's, with promises of release for about as long.

It aint going to happen. I say she's ridden that gravy train as long and as hard as she can, and is in all likelihood completely bored by now.

Still. A good cautionary tale, I wouldn't want my characters taken over by anyone else.