Duma Key by Stephen King

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading this last night. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while because I was so horribly disappointed by Lisey's Story (I didn't get through the first chapter and I've never done that with an SK book), I've been afraid to start Duma Key.

I'm about 75 pages in (of 607...it's a pretty thick book!) and so far so good.

Has anyone else read this one? Liked it? Hated it?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
It's on the shelf, next in line. And you hair has gotten longer! Kristie, not, um, Dale. :D

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
[Itty bitty spoilers]

I wasn't absolutely crazy about the earlier parts of Lisey's Story, but I thought the imagery at the end (the thing he saw in the glass) was some of the best he's ever put together.

I'm having a hard time getting into Duma Key. I hate to say it, but it feels pretty clumsy to me. I get it that he's trying to clue us in that something big is going to happen later with lines like "I remember most of my time at Duma Key a lot more clearly than I'd like" but I'd very much like something at least medium sized to happen now. This is the first King novel I've ever been bored by.

The first chapter was great, but everything from the time he got down to Florida leaves me going "Cripes, get ON with it, will ya?"

playrightftw

Registered
Reaction score
I have it on my shelf. Guess this reminds me that I need to start reading it. I will keep you posted on my thoughts.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read it and I liked it. Though I admit to skimming the "How to Draw A Picture" vignettes unless they seemed interesting. *blush*

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
let me preface this by saying I adore him and criticizing him hurts me. Just cuts me to the quick.

that being said. and beware itty spoiler--

sadly, the ending, the whole can the hero save the day thing scenes, ohhhhh Mr. King. why. just WHY. WHY that puppet thing. where did your cojones go, that's all I ask.

*sniff*

I felt a smidge let down, that's all.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Did that one on Audible.com.

I enjoyed it much more than Lisey, not as much as some others.

Really good characterization in Duma, IMO.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through and so far, I'm really enjoying it. It feels like very classic Stephen King...it reminds me of Bag of Bones in a way. I love the characters.

When I'm finished, I think I'll try reading Lisey's Story again...but, good God, could the beginning be any worse?

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm finished, I think I'll try reading Lisey's Story again...but, good God, could the beginning be any worse?

No. Really tough book.

Someone told me this weekend that she thought Bag of Bones was the best King novel. It's one I've never read. Gonna have to try it when I get a chance to get back to my parents' and search for it on the shelves.

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at Chapter six now. Enjoying it, waiting to meet the Bride of the Godfather again. :D

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
I started Duma Key a couple of months ago and I didn't like it, quit after about seventy pages. I didn't like the main character, he wasn't very likable or interesting and I don't feel like King had a good grasp of him. Also, I gotta question the idea of writing a book that centers around painting. I think King's best period was from Carrie through about Christine and Cujo (I think that was when he was hooked on alcohol and drugs, interesting). I loved those books. I thought The Green Mile was great, too. I'm afraid that accident may have taken something out of him. I didn't like The Cell and I didn't finish From a Buick 8, which seemed to be designed to be suspense-free.

rainboy

Registered
Reaction score
Duma Key was a sleeping pill for me. I never quite finished it.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
I liked it--I thought that you could really tell that King pulled his personal recovery process of the hit and run into the pages because the MC's pain (physical and mental) was very real. The one thing that felt a little hokey was the 'sudden *spoiler* talent of ventriloquism and the resulting doll speaking thing. That was a bit deus machina.

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
It's about a man who gets run over by a crane and moves to the Florida Keys and paints.

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it's really making me want to draw.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The one thing that felt a little hokey was the 'sudden *spoiler* talent of ventriloquism and the resulting doll speaking thing. That was a bit deus machina.

The doll thing did come across as a little bit hokey. If he would have mentioned Jack's "talent" a little earlier, it would have flown better. He foreshadowed the doll talking so why not the ventriloquism? But the book worked for me. I loved it. It did remind me of Bag of Bones though for some reason. I can't put my finger on why though...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we should put a spoiler warning on this????

Or is it just assumed that these discussions will probably contain spoilers?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry...I read the same spoiler before I got to that part and it didn't ruin anything for me. You'll be fine. :D

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
I've had dreams about this book, even though I haven't read it and don't think I will until paperback, if then.
Weird, huh?