• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dee Mura Literary / Dee Mura Enterprises Inc.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think one so new to the boards wouldn't wish to tear down those of us who've put a lot of effort into building rapports and educating ourselves in the ways of the literary world. But maybe that's just me.

Sean Corey

Registered
Reaction score
hold the phone little missy

I'd think one so new to the boards wouldn't wish to tear down those of us who've put a lot of effort into building rapports and educating ourselves in the ways of the literary world. But maybe that's just me.

Minutia,

I have sent out maybe 20 querys. So far I have only tried to get the attention of the top agencies, Donald Maass ...etc.

Out of those attempts I have not heard from 5 or 6. Big whoop. I have turned down one contract offer. Another agent is reviewing a requested ten page overview of my story "The Pilot". He responded to my query in three days. Now I have to scramble to get my 335 page 73.000 word manu back to my editors for a quick final and on to Ms. Mura.

Bottom line. Its the story. If you had worked for a Colombian cartel and risked your damn lives flying and smuggling like I did maybe ..just maybe you would have something to write about.

Sorry I just got around to your little world. I didn't have any use for whiners until this morning.

Sean

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
A quick search on Publisher's Marketplace reveals no sales listed for 'Dee Mura'.

Not everyone reports to Publisher's Marketplace, of course, so there is that to consider as well.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Minutia,

I have sent out maybe 20 querys. So far I have only tried to get the attention of the top agencies, Donald Maass ...etc.

Out of those attempts I have not heard from 5 or 6. Big whoop. I have turned down one contract offer. Another agent is reviewing a requested ten page overview of my story "The Pilot". He responded to my query in three days. Now I have to scramble to get my 335 page 73.000 word manu back to my editors for a quick final and on to Ms. Mura.

Bottom line. Its the story. If you had worked for a Colombian cartel and risked your damn lives flying and smuggling like I did maybe ..just maybe you would have something to write about.

Sorry I just got around to your little world. I didn't have any use for whiners until this morning.

Sean

Fascinating. And charming to boot!

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
If you had worked for a Colombian cartel and risked your damn lives flying and smuggling like I did maybe ..just maybe you would have something to write about.

Sean

Wow. I'm all tingly. :D

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
So far I have only tried to get the attention of the top agencies, Donald Maass ...etc.

How have you gone about doing this, if you don't mind my asking.

Do you address Mr. Maass et al with "Whatup?"

Just curious.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
Minutia,

Sean

So that's what's wrong with my manuscript. I clearly haven't *lived* and therefore can't write worth a damn. It suddenly becomes clearer.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Minutia,

Sean

And to this I'll simply say: Humility and attitude go incredibly far in one's successes.

Best of luck to you, Sean.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
And to this I'll simply say: Humility and attitude go incredibly far in one's successes.

Best of luck to you, Sean.

Did I stumble into a joke here? Is this for real?

Someone came here looking for help & it turned to this??

You are nicer than I Janna. The word I'm thinking of does rhyme with luck though...

*goes back to little world to find happy place again*

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I sent Dee Mura a query in 1999--she got back to me fairly quickly and requested a full. She phoned me a while later to talk about the full. She passed, but I appreciated the call.

Sean Corey

Registered
Reaction score
How have you gone about doing this, if you don't mind my asking.

Do you address Mr. Maass et al with "Whatup?"

Just curious.

Not at all.

No, I did not address Donald with whatup. I chose the agent in his office that I thought best represented the field I write in. That would be memoirs/true crime.

My editors have written professionally for many years and were very helpful in how to go about writing a query and whom to present it to.

It didn't hurt that one of my team has a neice working for Maass.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score

robheart

Registered
Reaction score
Dee Mura

I have recent experience with Dee Mura, and she has been prompt in her communications and very kind. I'm sorry that the internet is full of complaints about her organization in the past, because my recent experience with her has been very positive.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I'm crazy late to this condo, but I just got a full mss. request, and have been finding a lot of these type threads...and fyi their site is still under construction.

longshanks

Registered
Reaction score
Dee Mura

I got a request as well. It didn't go through, they got back to me the next day. Eight or nine weeks later nothing and they didn't answer my email. Are they stealing, crazy or playing. What's the point of all this if they'r enot int he agenting business. it reminds me of that crazy guy in chicago who pretends to be an agent and doles out bad advice. Please let me know if you've heard antying from these folks.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request as well. It didn't go through, they got back to me the next day. Eight or nine weeks later nothing and they didn't answer my email. Are they stealing, crazy or playing. What's the point of all this if they'r enot int he agenting business. it reminds me of that crazy guy in chicago who pretends to be an agent and doles out bad advice. Please let me know if you've heard antying from these folks.

Hi Longshanks, I have some bad news. I'm a fanatical researcher, and have pulled a lot of info on Dee Mura...ALLL THE SAME INFO FOR YEARS AND YEARS! Going through past Writer's Market books, they have the same caption about how many books/scripts they've sold that past year...25 and 40 I believe. Also, I got a request for a full from a...Kaylee Davis who I can't find any information pertaining to her working with the agency, besides emails. So, I checked her out on Facebook...and she just graduated with a Bachelors in English...this year. Maybe an intern?

BUT, anyway, I had a publisher interested and emailed them about representation...no response, after having requested a full. It's GOOD though, because then I thought to email my current agent, who happily stepped in and has done a great job so far!

XDOIN

Registered
Reaction score
Info & Question re Dee Mura

I am new to Absolute Writer Water Cooler and new at searching for a literary agent, but I have some info on Mura and also a question. Info (1): Mura's entry in the 2012 Guide to Literary Agents indicated that they only respond to queries if interested. Info (2): Mura responded to my query letter within three days or so, saying they were curious to learn more and could I send them my manuscript under the undestanding that they wanted a "6-8 week exculsive reading" on it. Question: If I send them my manuscript, does this mean I cannot respond to any other agent until I hear back from Mura -- even though I have included sample chapters with queries to some other agents??? I'm not sure what to do here.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I am new to Absolute Writer Water Cooler and new at searching for a literary agent, but I have some info on Mura and also a question. Info (1): Mura's entry in the 2012 Guide to Literary Agents indicated that they only respond to queries if interested. Info (2): Mura responded to my query letter within three days or so, saying they were curious to learn more and could I send them my manuscript under the undestanding that they wanted a "6-8 week exculsive reading" on it. Question: If I send them my manuscript, does this mean I cannot respond to any other agent until I hear back from Mura -- even though I have included sample chapters with queries to some other agents??? I'm not sure what to do here.

If she requests an exclusive and it's already out, you should inform her of this. But, after the time period elapse start sending out ASAP, because they are EXTREMELY SLOW. Just an FYI, after extensive research the "reader" that contacted me and requested the full was a recent college graduate with a Bachelors in English, meaning she was 22, not a knock, just facts. I had a publisher offer, before acquiring my agent, and brought the contract to Dee Mura since they said they would "most likely" offer a contract. No response . I think that's a huge indicator that they did not respond, even though I did all the legwork. Beware.

dwriter68

Registered
Reaction score
Got a request for a full about four weeks ago. I'll let you know if they ever get back to me...

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
They kind of have a website now: http://deemuraliterary.com/
All it has is a big notice "My staff and I appreciate your patience while we work on our new website" and a paragraph about submissions.

I'm still going to pass on them though.

There's another thread somewhere here about the website...it's been "under construction" for several years...if not more.