Any Other Superhero Fiction Writers Out There?

Sunstreaker84

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on the first of a series of superhero novels. I guess you could call them Urban Fantasy in a pinch; but I like to call a spade a spade - if it wears spandex, shoots laser beams from its eyes, and has a cackling villain, then it's superheroes!

Generally, I don't see a lot of pieces in this genre and was wondering if anyone else has tackled the long-form superhero story.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
There've been threads like this recently, and turns out, there's a handful of us. :) Superhero fiction is gaining writers and readers for sure. Amazon has many; if you can find one or two, it'll take you to the rest. I've got a series of novels planned myself, but I've only completed a short story in the universe. The world keeps growing though, and I love how it keeps expanding.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 10k from the end of a superhero novel myself - standalone though, I seem to have a terminal inability to think in either short stories or arching plots. :D

I've also dabbled a bit in collaborating with web comic artists, though none of those have lasted too long as we were both invariably more engaged with our solo projects.

It's a great genre isn't it? Even within the tropes there's so much room for creativity and adventure and fun. <3

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Also points down at the sig.

I think of my stories as Superheroes for Adults. No fancy costumes. Certainly no f******g CAPES!

When one of my MCs investigates the lair of a drug gang she jogs by wearing a bright blue running outfit. Or staggers then slumps nearby in month-old ragged clothing clutching a bottle of whiskey in a brown paper bag. Hiding in plain sight.

The exception is one book where she impersonates a mythological figure. This includes the Cat Lady, whose only clothing are tiger stripes all over. Or the Death Lady, who has the grey skin of a corpse, pointed ears, and eyes which glow red.

Another exception is coming soon, what I call Wonder Woman rethought (as opposed to reboot). In it WW’s background is SFnal, not fantastic. (No Greek gods.) To avoid copyright issues, I’m calling her The Star Woman.

front-cover-text-266x400.jpg

psyche24

Registered
Reaction score
I think mine will fall this category but without capes.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm not as averse to writing super hero fiction as I used to be. Having to work out of associating them with the comics code authority issue.

Though generally my magic system and superheroes are incompatible with each other for the most part. (Reliance on the unknown, the sense of vulnerability you would get in horror fiction.)

tricksterpython

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually going to be writing a superhero story next. I'm currently in the middle of a novel, but have had the superhero one on the back burner since last November, when it (barely) failed to lure me away from my Nano novel. Lol.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a superhero novel and am in the process of plotting out two more. Mine have costumes and names, the works. I've found superheroes to be a tough sell in YA, but that's not stopping me from finishing the trilogy.

MkMoore

Treasure-hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lessthanheroic.net
I'm planning a superpower story that I'm writing as a web serial. I decided I wanted to illustrate it, so book publishing isn't really an option. I've been putting it off because I'm still a little embarrassed about my artwork.

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
My MC perceives himself as some kind of a superhero, so… I try my best to accommodate him. :)

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I've debated writing a superhero story before. Even the female equivalent known in Japan as the Magic Girl genre (like Sailor Moon, but less cheesy).

I seem to have this tiny problem when wanting to write about it though... I'm not comfortable, or good at, changing the way OUR world works or anything. It's kind of odd.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
The Galatic Seven are superheros for the most part. They don't have superpowers, but they are very much in the mold. I have had readers say I should be writing comic books or even a graphic novel. One owned a comic book store in California. I guess that is a good sign. Besides, how could the a group called The Galactic Seven be anything but superheros?

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to write a superhero short story, but I've been struggling with the vast breadth of the genre.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I have a superhero novel and am in the process of plotting out two more. ... I've found superheroes to be a tough sell in YA, but that's not stopping me from finishing the trilogy.

Maybe just because you haven't tried to sell your trilogy yet. Perhaps your books will be the start of a trend.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
OH MY GOSHHHHH I get so excited when I find other people writing superhero stories!

I'm editing a project now called I AM THE JACKAL, about a teenager who takes a super serum to fake having powers so he can get into the Hero Core, a league of superheroes that knows who attempted to murder his dad. He's trying to find the suspect before the suspect can try again and finish the job, but then he finds out the Core have their own plans, the super serum turns out to be addictive, and things kind of fall apart.

I've actually heard YA supers are coming back, though not so much in spandex (disappointing) and more with a lot of seers/psychic characters. Still, it's a start!

Of course, that doesn't mean write to trends, but it's encouraging.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there is Brandon Sanderson's Steelheart, though it's more of a supervillain novel. It's an interesting take on the superhero genre, and I really enjoyed it. I think it's technically listed as YA, but the main character is 18 (upper end of YA), and it didn't really feel YA to me.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
Is Steelheart the one about the guy who people have never seen him bleed? I've heard of that one before, been meaning to read it. : )

MkMoore

Treasure-hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lessthanheroic.net
Yeah, Steelheart was a great read. I also just read "Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman. It was also good in a very different way.

So, other superpower writers: I've been debating something. I've got an ensemble cast of teens with abilities. I'm trying to decide whether I want to make them the only superpowered people (I have a few ideas as to reason), or to make it kind of a general trend, like mutants in x-men. I think I can make either work, but I'm not sure what direction to go. What do you guys think?

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Soon I Will Be Invincible now! I really like the voice of Dr. Impossible, though there is a tonnnn of backstory. Although that's kind of the point, I suppose.

It depends (I know, so helpful) on what conflicts you want them to face in the book. If supers are already relatively common, there will probably be a government precedent as to how they're handled, especially when it comes to superhero antics that could cause property damage.

But if you have them as the only supers in the world (except for probably the villain) it's also more likely that the govt and people will be very afraid of them and try to lock them up if they do anything too reckless. Or alternatively, they could hail them as heroes for stopping the big bad guys that no one else could take down. It could kind of go either way, depending on how destructive they are.

What are your reasons for wanting to make them the only supers?

Also, Superhero Nation is an awesome site that's all about writing superhero/action fiction, so throwing that out there.