Blizzard announces they have a "diversity tool," and, wow! It sucks!

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
[Link to their blog explaining it]

So, as part of everyone being mad at them, Activision-Blizz announced that they have made an internal tool to aid them in their quest to make their characters "more diverse" and to get rid of "tokenism." And some brilliant (most likely cishet) guy (there's no way it wasn't a guy) said "hey, what if we put it all as numbers? And made it into a graph?

Now, I love data and graphs, I am an idiot, but I would do something like "what % of characters are gay? what % are trans?" But this absolute braingenius decided that, no, that wasn't granular enough. They need to have dropdowns of a bunch of different options AND assign them a value from 1-10.

One of the examples they show is Ana, an Egyptian woman whose a healer and the mom of another one of the characters. You can see that, as an Egyptian and an Arab, her culture and race are a 7. She is straight, therefore, a 0. A woman is 5 out of 10 on the gender identity scale.

Which made me go: wait, this is real? This wasn't the onion? This is fucking real? And then go: THis could have just been a spreadhseet. They spent all this time + engineering resources to make this fucking stupid tool WHEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN A SPREADSHEET. Which I did. [Here is my trans gay werewolf MC, who is only 38% diverse], and here is my [intentionally shitty white fuckboy character].

As I made it, I really had to think about the data and the values. Like this is made for an American game studio, which is, presumably, full of white people, along with certain Asian countries (India, China, Korea, Japan), like most places in tech. So an Arab character would be diverse...but what if this were a Saudi Arabian game studio? Everyone there would probably be Arab, and most of their characters would probably be Arab. Plus, Overwatch (the game where Ana is from) has robots. And a hamster. Where do they fit? All of these characters are essentially "able bodied," even if they don't have their natal arms/legs/etc, since they have super prosthetics and can wall climb and rocket jump around the map just like everyone else....so are they really even "disabled"? What would a 10 on cognitive ability be, a total dumbass? The only dumb character they have is Junkrat, and he's more "crazy guy but in a comedic way," not necessarily low IQ. And on and on and on.

Also what if your work has non-humans, like LOTR? What if there's no humans like Redwall or Zootopia? What would a robots gender even be? Who gets to determine the "facial beauty" of a character? One man's scrunkly is another man's sexual awakening to a new fetish (looking at you, every monster movie ever).

So yeah, Activ/Blizz is Absolutely Fucking Stupid, once again, and they're attempting to increase diversity but going about it in a way that is even more offensive than just not doing anything at all. But straight people having a value of 0 is probably the funniest thing I've seen all year, maybe all century.

(also if you want the Excel file lmk and I'll send it to you. I tried to make it as culturally neutral as possible but also inclusive of non-human characters, because I'm a furry. Also some of the values are really shitposty so I'm not gonna post it where anyone can see it lol)

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Activision is trying to get some points and going about it in a strange way. I remember how people laughed at them when they announced that Chromie was trans.

I play WoW, 90% Horde, so I'm not very familiar with the human side of things – I don't have one human character – but do I think the customizations are getting better and better. I hope they'll introduce more body modifications, so for example I can have a one-hand orc because he/she is from the Shattered Hand clan.

Also, I really appreciate it that now warlocks can have an incubus too, not only a succubus.

:troll

Reactions: Elenitsa

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I haven't played wow in awhile, so I never heard that Chromie was trans. I just read her Wikipedia page and I think that was a really cool story :) Wow has a bajillion characters and magic is used so much, so of course there'd be trans ones.

Also I just looked and, for Overwatch, there's Tracer is a lesbian and Soldier 76 did a "oh I dated a guy in the past" Avengers Endgame thing but otherwise...I don't think there's anything else? Canon-wise? Putting diverse people in COD games is way more of a "risk," though, considering that's the bread and butter for Activision (something like 1/3 of all their programemrs are working on some sort of COD) and how it's such a "mainstream" game. And you know how gamers are.

ETA: [lol the Buddhist monk robot has a higher "race" value than the black Brazillian]

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
I knew Tracer was a lesbian, but Soldier 76 is a nice surprise – he's my fav Overwatch character :)

I don't know the details of Chromie's story, because I'm not much into dragon lore, but I've heard it's good.

There are some LGBT characters in WoW lore, most of them added in the later expansions – Legion and up, and on the Alliance side, so I'm not familiar with them yet. My Alliance characters are still babies.

:troll

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
More reasons why I'm glad I don't play WoW anymore...
I played back in the early days of WoW, back when they still had a don't ask, don't tell policy re sexual orientation. There was a big fight over whether guilds could advertise as LGBTQ+ friendly or not, and if so did this mean guilds should also be allowed to advertise as LGBTQ+ unfriendly. Because, yeah, every prosocial position has to be fair and balanced with the antisocial/discriminatory option, right?

Sounds like they still have no clue at all. I play ESO now, now WoW. They're far from perfect with representation, but at least they have same gender couple npcs in the game and they let players marry their character to any other they want. No characters who aren't either male or female, though.

Here's a thought, game designers. Don't get silly with math and algorithms. Allow players to do what they want with their characters' gender and race etc., and present a range of npcs in the game that is comparable to the variations seen in real life. Make the npcs people first and foremost, people who simply are who they are.

ESO is better than WoW was re armor design (I hated how WoW made such radically different versions of male and female armor. ESO armor is closer for male and female versions, though ESO still has the little boobie plates on female characters armor, which is unrealistic and silly).

Would like to see games allowing for more variations in body type too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elenitsa