Casting Your Novel

DrunkenLilacs

Growing tipsier as we speak
Registered
Reaction score
I decided that Keegan Allen and Chloe Moretz didn't fit the bill of brother and sister Charlie and Nancy, both pivotal characters in my story, so I found some people closer to how I imagine them :D

Falon, 17 - MC (Elizabeth Olsen)
Falon-1.jpg

Charlie, 18 - Male lead/love interest (Graham Phillips)
Charlie1-1.jpg

Nancy, 14 - Charlie's sister (Hailee Steinfield)
Nancy-1.jpg

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
Well, mine are only for the guys, 'cause I haven't figured out who I want for the girls yet. (Except for the hair and eye color, One has dark brown hair/light brown eyes, the other has light brown hair/ dark brown eyes. They'd have to look enough alike to be twins.)

Rafe: A younger version of Galen Gering. (He plays Rafe Hernandez on Days of Our Lives.)
Chad: Casey Deidrick. (He plays Chad Dimera on Days of Our Lives.)
Ally: No one yet.
Annie: No one yet.

chancerychislettII

Registered
Reaction score
This cast makes me want to read the book!
I decided that Keegan Allen and Chloe Moretz didn't fit the bill of brother and sister Charlie and Nancy, both pivotal characters in my story, so I found some people closer to how I imagine them :D

Maldeus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
This seems like a good way to kill time while eating Lucky Charms. Question, though, is it standard to consider whether or not the actor could actually play the role, or are we being shallow like George Lucas and casting based purely on appearance?

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.disneygeekwriter.blogspot.com
This seems like a good way to kill time while eating Lucky Charms. Question, though, is it standard to consider whether or not the actor could actually play the role, or are we being shallow like George Lucas and casting based purely on appearance?

For me it's who I want regardless if they would actually consider the role. Seriously, Ben Affleck taking on a gay, fashion designer, drag queen? I think for most of us on here it's pure super wish full-fillment.

vintagegirl

Registered
Reaction score
I go solely on appearance. Most of the people I 'cast' are models, so I'm pretty sure most of them can't actually act.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about celebrities, and my standards of attractive don't really match mainstream Caucasian standards anyway, so I usually don't do casting things.

I've found a few random pictures that I think fit the main characters of BRIGHTMAGE, though. To an extent.

Lela-336x331.jpg

It took me forever to find a girl that looks even a little bit like the MC, Memna. Even now, I'm not satisfied; her skin's not dark enough. Most of the others I've found look too mature, though.

gaku02.jpg

The love interest, Zoran! As played by Gackt. Even the hairstyle is almost perfect (just has to be longer), and the mischievous side-eye is just great.

79474841_10.jpg

Firio, the sort of antagonist, sort of love interest. He has silver hair in the story, but he's a natural redhead, so yeah, I went with what was easier to find.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
The pictures aren't working, but they're on my blog here.

This is for my WIP; Anemoi Boy

Aleksandrukas doesn't have a mother. He has a maker. He was forged out of clouds seventeen years ago by an Anemoi named Beroe. His only purpose? To win the tournament featuring the human races pitted against each other. The prize? The fastest storks the Anemoi leader can forge. They are bigger and stronger, allowing them to carry more cloud-babies down to earth for the winning Anemoi. The prize for the kids? Well, they won't be "recycled" for the magic stardust that brought them to life in the first place.

Aleksandrukas
"Alek"
Race: Indian
Anemoi: Beroe

All Alek wants is to win the tournament for his Anemoi. But when the Anemoi outcast tells him about a conspiracy involving his maker, he confronts Beroe about it. Beroe kicks him out, banishing him from his life and removes him from the tournament. Now Alek has to try to sneak back into the tournament with the help of his friends and decide whether to ruin Beroe's life by exposing the conspiracy.

I cannot find a picture for Alek! I want him to have like Josh Hutcherson's body, but Indian with short curly black hair. Anyone know any actors/models who look like that?

Actress: Michelle Trachtenberg
Minerva
"Minnie"
Race: Russian
Anemoi: Believed to be Abellona but is actually Beroe

Minnie is sweet and practical, but is distant and cold to everyone except Alek and Abellona. She worships Abellona and does anything and everything by the rules Abellona sets forth. She doesn't always approve of Alek's antics, but they're best friends. When she finds out that Beroe is actually her anemoi, not Abellona, she is devastated and quits the tournament out of spite, running away to live with Merope; the Anemoi outcast. She helps Alek sneak into the tournament.

Actress: Cleopatra Coleman
She is perfect except her hair would be Merida's hair from Brave. If Merida's hair was white.
Name is Unknown
Alek calls her "Ambrosia"

Ambrosia is the maker of the clouds. She's an artist and takes great pride in her work. Beroe sends Alek to her to try and persuade her to give up her best clouds. Over the course of these many visits they become friends. Minnie does not like her, or the amount of time Alek spends there "fooling around". Ambrosia hides her own life but she loves talking about everything and anything. She especially enjoys talking to Alek.

All the others are way harder to cast. Most of them are gender/sexless so it's going to be a morph of s male and female face. I also have a Mongolian character that I have very small hopes for finding a good picture of.

Last edited:

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
I love this thread so much. Thinking I've finally gotten to that point in my WIP where I know pretty distinctly what they look like. I don't think most of these are actors or anyone well-known... just some dudes I found on tumblr/google image search. :Shrug:

This would be Elliot Young. He's an MC, LI, and POV. His favorite color is blue because it reminds him of the sky, and when he was little his mom told him that the sky is what holds everything together.
images

This is Naruhito Hasegawa, AKA Naru. Also an MC, LI, and POV. He believes in fairies, love for all and happiness, and has faith in humanity. His favorite shirt is a rainbow v-neck that says I don't even THINK straight. Picture courtesy of one of my brothers... Pretty sure he knows this dude. Either way, this is EXACTLY what I picture Naru looking like.
309579_212153258847744_553240825_n.jpg

This is Dante, Elliot's cousin and person he lives with. He's a stripper for men and is very, very proud of his occupation. All about unity. Still has no idea what possessed his parents to name him Dante (not that he doesn't like the name. Just that this is weird for the Young family.) HAD to use Andrew Garfield for him.
images

Hippie Durrell! He's based off of someone in real life. Durrell acts the part of "Hippie" too. Naru met him on his way home in 5th grade and he's been kind of like a mentor every since. Very cool dude. If Shaun White was wearing a beanie, this would be Durrell.
images

Okay, now onto the girls. Leda Young, Elliot's long-lost sister. I've always pictured her as Hilary Duff. She has a lot of... spunk. Likes wearing short long-sleeved black dresses and heels to places like Costco and Walmart. Winning smile. :D
images

Naru's mom. Known as "Mrs. Hasegawa" throughout the book. She lives in a "psychiatric care facility" but gets better and better until she can live on her own with just a live-in aide. Very loving and supports Naru and whoever he would like to date (something the rest of their town does not.)
images

And, finally, Naru's older brother, Hideharu (as in Hee-deh-ha-roo). Naru calls him "Hide-chan" to annoy him, and they don't get along very well. Hide causes Naru a lot of stress. He's misunderstood and very jealous of Naru. I have a love-hate thing with him.
166548_169580849838969_590520803_n.jpg

Ugh, I know, the boys dominate. What can I say.

Last edited:

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the board and I apologize for being too lazy to scrawl through fifteen pages of posts, but am I the only one who uses
HTML:
http://elouai.com/candybar.php
aka Elouai dollmaker? It's a Korean gamer's site and it is goofy, but I found it gives me a good place to start from when crafting characters. As to real-life persons, I'm going to have to do some thinking on that.

BTW, sorry about the screwed-up html; I'm kind of new at this.

Delio

Registered
Reaction score
Well I've been gone for a while and my mind drifts a lot and now I have my cast all changed around. But I pretty much have a complete cast now for Lustre.

MC/Noah Estral 17 played by Dylan o' brien
dylan-obrien.jpg

I originally had Mark indelicato as the lead but as I have been writing he doesnt really fit the mold I want him to be.

MC/Love interest Martin Heoff 17 played by Nikita Gutsu
Phhc7.jpg

A model so I doubt he can act at all. Whoever would be cast though would share his looks.

MC Kahina 17 played by Karen Sheila Gillan
xonTF.jpg

Face wise she fits my Kahina perfectly but Kahina has a pixie cut.

Hyun Che 17 hopefully a unknown asian actor.

Nicolai Gervis 17 played by Cameron Monaghan
Cameron-Monaghan-Thumbnail.jpg

Andre burns 17 played by Corbin bleu
corbinbleu.jpg

Nicolai's love interest.

Bethany Skies 17 played by Elizabeth Gilles
MV5BMTM4NjAwNDcwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjkxMjc5NA@@._V1._SY314_CR15,0,214,314_.jpg

Noah's bitchy yet loyal best friend.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh I still love playing "Cast your novel" - so I'm just gonna go ahead and look for some hawt actors to pop up in the imaginary movie adaption of my WIP :)

Katie Findlay as Tony:

0104Maggie2.jpg

Douglas Booth as Wes:
712d25ce9f2329169c45f927099fa755.jpg

I basically just adore this one picture of Mike Vogel. In it he looks exactly like Wesley's older brother Trace (except he's lacking loads of tattoos):

903b94b4ba8bbf5fd392764afeb46a13.jpg

And if I could have Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Alexander Rowan (the boys' father) that would be awesome. Since I'm the casting director of my imaginary movie, it's totally happening!

3647c3b862f6b715893b6daf205f390c.jpg

I couldn't find anyone for two other characters, but then again there probably isn't an actress with rainbow colored dread locks and an actor who looks like stoner jesus...

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.disneygeekwriter.blogspot.com
Funny Thing About Memory

Darcy+Jane+Van+Owen.jpg

Liberty "Libby" Anne Van Owen: 16; MC As portrayed by Bunheads star Kaitlyn Jenkins

Ben+Van+Owen.jpg

Benjamin Ianto Van Owen “Daddy”: 46; Libby’s dad; As portrayed by Doctor Who/Torchwood star John Barrowman

Suzanne+Van+Owen.jpg

Suzanne Hilary Van Owen: 64; Libby's grandmother; as portrayed by Fatal Attraction star Glenn Close

Carl+Van+Owen.jpg

Carl Benjamin Van Owen: 65; Libby's grandfather; as portrayed by Wall Street star Michael Douglas

Stephanie+Randolph+Van+Owen.jpg

Stephanie Bettina Randolph Jones-Van Owen: 33; Libby's aunt; as portrayed by Broadway star Sierra Boggess

Edward+Randolph.jpg

California State Senator Edward Roland Randolph Jones: 35; Libby's uncle; as portrayed by True Blood star Ryan Kwanten

Claude+Benetti.jpg

Steven Jacob Tremaine: 45; adoptive father of Libby's biological siblings; as portrayed by Private Practice star Benjamin Bratt

Zelda+Benetti.jpg

Zelda Grace Tremaine: 22; Libby's sister; as portrayed by Friday Night Lights star Aimee Teegarden

Link+Benetti.jpg

Link Jeffery Tremaine: 20; Libby's brother; as portrayed by Glee star Chord Overstreet

Pitt+Benetti.jpg

Pitt Alan Tremaine: 18; Libby's brother; as portrayed by Big Daddy star Cole Sprouse

January+Temple.jpg

January "Jan" Elizabeth Temple: 33; Stephanie's best friend; as portrayed by One Tree Hill star Bethany Joy Galeotti

Ryan+Carlson.jpg

Ryan Jacob Carlson: 33; January's DLI; as portrayed by Pushing Daisies star Lee Pace

Savannah+Hinton.jpg

Savannah Dawn Hinton: 16; Libby's best friend; as portrayed by Jane by Design star Erica Dasher

Van+Tyler.jpg

Renner Eric James: 17; Savannah's DLI; as portrayed by SYTYCD star Kenny Wormald

Rawdon+Schafer.png

Rawdon "Huck" Henry Schafer: 17; Libby's DLI; as portrayed by Glee star Samuel Larson

Doug+Hinton.jpg

Doug Christian Hinton: 45; Savannah's dad; as portrayed by Arrested Development star Jason Bateman

Julianne+Hinton.jpg

Julianne Dakota Hinton: 32; Savannah's stepmother; as portrayed by Mad Men star Christina Hendricks

Marcia+Doyle+Hinton.jpg

Marcia Eden Hinton-Doyle: 45; Savannah's mom; as portrayed by Sweeney Todd star Helena Bonham Carter

Dr.+Robbie+Garrity.JPG

Dr. Roberta "Robbie" Sutton Garrity: 35; Libby's therapist; as portrayed by Bunheads star Sutton Foster

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I think the problem with my casting is, the only ones I can picture for the roll are adult (literally) actors that have been in a few movies.

The assumption is what they would look like if digitally aged backwards. Such actors as Johny Depp, Bruce Willis, Mr. T, et cetera.

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh this is fun! Loving everyone's casts so far. I actually have been using visual aids for my characters, as it seems to make them easier to write (at least for me).

My MC/protag Lily doesn't really look like anyone (actually average brown-haired, green/hazel-eyed girl will work), but if I had to cast her, I'd probably go with (also a Lily):
600full-lily-collins.jpg

Love interest, Callum:
stephen-amell.jpg

Antag, Esmond:
adam_brody_portrait_toronto_a_p.jpg

Primary antag, Simeon:
tumblr_mdqpdly3QL1r9ncflo1_500.jpg

Irsa (the friend the MC makes as the story progresses. (Hey, she was also on Arrow...))
12ec5590ac0edefa1c9297450d070d75.jpg

Iven (Irsa's twin brother. (Perferably with dyed dark hair))
lucas-till-xmen.jpg

I hate it when everyone in a YA movie/book is ridiculously good looking (cue Zoolander). But I failed! Look how perty everyone is ... :Shrug:

Last edited:

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd join in the fun of casting my book, but I don't know where to find pictures of models or anything like that. So where did you all get your photos? Is there an archive or something?

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Everyone casts such good looking people. If I were to give my casting pics for my ms, it'd be full of the quirkiest and/or most ordinary looking people in Hollywood. :eek:

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Gackt is a dude, lol.

I don't know anything about celebrities, and my standards of attractive don't really match mainstream Caucasian standards anyway, so I usually don't do casting things.

I've found a few random pictures that I think fit the main characters of BRIGHTMAGE, though. To an extent.

Lela-336x331.jpg

It took me forever to find a girl that looks even a little bit like the MC, Memna. Even now, I'm not satisfied; her skin's not dark enough. Most of the others I've found look too mature, though.

gaku02.jpg

The love interest, Zoran! As played by Gackt. Even the hairstyle is almost perfect (just has to be longer), and the mischievous side-eye is just great.

79474841_10.jpg

Firio, the sort of antagonist, sort of love interest. He has silver hair in the story, but he's a natural redhead, so yeah, I went with what was easier to find.

Hate to tell you this, but your blue eyed beauty up above is Gackt, the Visual-K rocker and is as manly as they get. I love him too, so sexy. I may have to post a video for you. Love Gackt, lol, he is hot!!

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I hope this works. Enjoy Gackt!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LXp0v93ZRTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>