Critique Circle #1 (North American-centric; 9PM Central; Last Monday of the Month)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with 2 critiques per month, each with their own seperate group. Of course, the groups would be alternated each time.

But for now, one per month, till I (and many beginners like me) get a chance to a better grip of this whole critique thing.

P.S I'm assuming those who can't make it for this first meeting (namely, myself) would still send the critiques to the author through you, right?

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be very interested as I have both an epic dark fantasy but am also starting a chic-lit so a few occasional raps on the knuckles would come in handy. Also, I'm central time, evenings would work best, the later, the better. Haven't entered the 'chat section', might need directions how to get there. Use crayons and several pretty-pretty colors.
Sharing of my email is kosher------but-----will this 'forum' be password protected so our posted work/commentary doesn't show up on search engines like other areas of AW?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
There will be no forum; everything will be done in chat or by e-mail.

Fuller crits will be e-mailed from you to the author; not through me -- you will be sending your crits directly to the author after the chat if needed.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
To those wanting to know where the chat room is, there is a bolded link under the PayPal icon at the top of every page here that says Visit the AW chat room! Click on it.

It's been a long time since I've been in there, but I'm pretty sure the bouncer at the door let's anyone through provided you follow the directions.

You might also want to check out the Helpful chat tips linked below the chat room entry.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
To answer your question Birol I'd prefer to keep it to one crit per session, at least until I know how much I can reasonably contribute.

I'd say with 30 pages being done, only 1-2 a month would be good to me to allow good time for doing the critiques.

As a secondary note, in addition to remarks made in the chats, will we be sending fuller crits back to you to go to the author?

I think to start we should do one crit per session. As we figure out who everyone is in the group and talk a bit about our work and where we're at, sub-groups may become apparent and make it easier to set up smaller circles that we could then break up into 30-minute sessions each month (or something like that).

Ditto to much of the above quotes.
30 pages to crit, plus most of us pursuring our own writing, one crit at a time should be the max in order for the victim author to receive thorough opinions/suggestions/commentary.

Okay, clicked on the Chat Room and it wants password & name of chat room I desire to enter...help?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
regarding critting per chat- How exactly does that work? i did this once before (not here) and it turned into - let's rip Shea's work apart- fest, instead of lets crit Shea's work-- so do people take turns? Does the author get to respond to questions? (without being defensive of course)
Or are you going to post rules and such closer to the date?

Last edited:

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to much of the above quotes.
30 pages to crit, plus most of us pursuring our own writing, one crit at a time should be the max in order for the victim author to receive thorough opinions/suggestions/commentary.

Okay, clicked on the Chat Room and it wants password & name of chat room I desire to enter...help?
I just used the same password I use to log in to AW and the chatroom is already selected for you as absolute write. :)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
regarding critting per chat- How exactly does that work? i did this once before (not here) and it turned into - let's rip Shea's work apart- fest, instead of lets crit Shea's work-- so do people take turns? Does the author get to respond to questions? (without being defensive of course)
Or are you going to post rules and such closer to the date?

Yes, I'm going to post some guidelines. I've just got to get them typed up. I'll be in there moderating the discussion, too.

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
i got through the password part ok, but the chat room that comes up just keeps saying "loading" and never loads. i might try it out on my laptop. it's much faster than this old dino.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
I'd like to be in, but as I live in Ireland I guess my European time doesn't suit Americans :(
Unless you want to create something for both sides of the world :D

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I know the time I selected doesn't suit everyone. It doesn't even suit all North Americans. No time selected would. That's just an impossibility.

Because of other commitments, I must maintain a US-centric schedule. However, I will not be insulted at all if you formed your own crit circle to accommodate others in your area. In fact, I encourage you to do so.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Guidelines

Hello, my favorite Critters. I hope you’re all ready for next week, that’s when our first meeting is to be held.

I know there have been lots of questions, so let me do my best to address them at this time. I will also post this in the AW Crit Circle thread in the Novel forum.

CRITICISMS

First, I know there have been some criticism of the decisions I’ve made. This is to be expected. I’m not going to address each of the ones I’ve heard individually, but know I have given considerable thought and have a reason for everything decided. The one criticism I will address directly is the matter of time: Throughout my adult life I’ve been responsible for setting meeting times for individuals scattered across a variety of time zones. One thing I’ve learned is that there is no one time that ever works for everyone. When the group is scattered across the globe, there isn’t even a decent compromise. What I’ve done in this case is select a time that worked well for the majority of individuals who gave me their availability. I know it would be nice if I would take the responsibility of setting up multiple crit circles at various times, but I cannot do so. I have responsibilities outside of AW that require me to keep my waking/sleep cycles to a US-centric timetable and my schedule is such that, at this time, I can only commit to one crit circle a month.

If you are available to organize a crit circle at a different time, please feel free to do so. I will not be insulted but pleased that you care so much about the AW community that you are willing to step up to the plate and take some responsibility for it.

WHEN & WHERE

That said, there is the important question of when and where we will be meeting.

When: The last Monday of each month at 7:00pm Pacific/8:00pm Mountain/9:00pm Central/10:00pm Eastern (I believe this is 3:00am Monday night/Tuesday morning GMT.)
January Meeting: Monday, January 25th at 9:00pm Central
Where: Jed (JVC) has offered to set up a private chat room just for the critique circle. It will be reachable through the AW link or through an IRC. Instructions and password will follow. *nudges JVC* (Please, everyone remember to thank him.)

HOW

Many of the questions I’ve received have centered around how this process is going to work. This is how I see things playing out:

• The author(s) who is being critiqued will send me their pages at least one week before our meeting. In turn, I will forward them on to the group. (This keeps everyone from having to keep track of everyone’s e-mail addresses.)
  • Everyone who is not the author will read the pages and prepare comments, questions, etc. prior to the group meeting. (NOTE: It is very important to the success of the crit circle that everyone come to the meeting prepared for discussion.)
  • Should anyone want to socialize, show up early and do so before the meeting is scheduled to begin.
  • The crit circle will begin right on time.
  • At the beginning of the crit circle, we will go around and everyone will give their comments, etc. During this time, the author will sit quietly and listen, with the exception of an occasional question for clarity. (We’ll do this for about 1.0 to 1.5 hours, depending.)
  • For the next (last?) 30 minutes, the critters will be quiet while the author takes the opportunity to asks questions and seek clarification.
  • We’ll provide the author’s e-mail address so comments can be e-mailed directly to the author for further review and consideration.
  • Afterwards, we can hang out and have some general discussion on writing, life, etc., should anyone want to do so.

Keep in mind, my plans are almost always changed for me, so there is some flexibility in this. We’ll figure out what works for us, as a group, as we go along.

MORE THOUGHTS

I know this e-mail is already long and a lot to absorb, but I would like to add that I fully expect this crit circle to be somewhat fluid. Most of you have professed that you’ve never done anything like this before. I expect that through this experience you will learn what works for you and what doesn’t. You will meet other writers whose styles and personalities are similar to your own and whose skills are complementary to yours. I expect that, over time, you will break into smaller groups as you grow as writers. This will not be an insult to me; I will be happy to see you do so. When the time comes, I ask only one thing: Let me know so I can remove your name from the group mailing.

This is also why the group must continue to be open to new members, so they will have the opportunity to have the same benefits as you.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know and I will address them as I am able.

Dave Willhoite

Registered
Reaction score
Birol,

Thanks for doing this. It's a fine thing.

I, however, can't play for the same reasons that you eloquently expressed here.

For me, that's four in the morning on a work night. I don't know if there is enough interest for an alternate crit circle oriented on the other side of the planet or if a mod could be found.

Thanks again.

Dave

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to add my thanks for setting this up as well, Birol. It is a huge undertaking on your part, and I appreciate the time put into this. I used to be very active in an online review group, but my own time constraints made it impossible to keep up with it- Once a month is something that is very do-able. I am looking forward to getting shred..uh- critiqued next week;)

I know the value of a fresh pair of eyes on a MS, different minds pick up on different aspects of the same story-and just so everyone knows- I have rhino-hide- take off the gloves and let me have it- but please ignore the obvious typos- I apologize for not editing it better before i sent it in.

I am exited about participating in this group!

Ann (sheadakota)

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Jed is working on setting up a private chat room for the crit circle I'll be leading. When I'm not using it, anyone else is welcome to use it for their own crit circles. Be silly to have a whole chat room sit empty most of the month. Just reserve your time on the main calendar.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Great. Thanks a mil. Let's see if we have any takers during EU time.
As a military wife who spent the past decade in Europe--and is crossing fingers that being sent back is a go--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised over how many people are in the European time zone and would LOVE something like this to be put together.

I know, from my own experience, while I was just beginning my day and enjoying a fabulous sunrise in Scotland...my fellow writer's here at AW were calling it a night.

And then there are the participants from 'down undah', they too on a different time zone than N.America. So, with that said, I think, Laura, that you might have a splendid turn out, should you choose to create a European Time Zone Crit Circle...I would definitely put on my best hat, brew tea, pop into the nearest bakery for delectibles my hips are STILL paying for & join in, so don't be shy--offer, and they will come.

karey

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this post finds everyone in our new fangled group well and...WRITING LIKE MAD HATTERS!!

Okay. 'Nuff of the brown nosing. Down to business.

Set up:
I'm writing two books consecutively. The big name authors do it, why not moi, right?
*pauses to give QW time to recover from hysterical giggling*
Actually, one book is a sequal (dark fantasy romance/epic) and the 2nd is something I've been jotting down notes for a year now, honing the idea, characters...and finally giving in and writing it because it no longer simmered...it had begun to boil over.
It's chic-lit...something I've never attempted before because I'm that paranormal/fantasy buff...without the glitter ;D

Question: when we DO submit, will everyone groan if I submit opening chapter of one genre...then later, when I'm up for submitting again, opening chapter of the other?
Reason: I KNOW I'm the ONLY writer that has at LEAST 25 different opening chapters to my first book (published) because I'm POSITIVE my HOOK isn't HOOKING...wait...I think that has one of those double meanings...so not my intent.
*another pause...waits for QW...*

Anyhoo, the fantasy romance is the one I feel like I know what I'm doing...so that means it's the one I'll never see published and the chic-lit, the one I'm 'learning' will be the one turned into a movie.
It could happen.

*passes QW tissues*

Status
Not open for further replies.