Critique Circle #3 (Pacific Time Zone - Australia, New Zealand, Asia Pacific) - Thu 7 APR 9:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Not Sara--no one's taking her away from the European Crits.

Eh. Sara takes part in all the crits. I think she must bless each one in order to ensure its success.

Also, it should be noted that if someone wants to join in that is in Europe - our time zone doesn't work too bad with yours. 8pm here means 9am where you are. So you're welcome if you feel the need for more than one crit circle.

I'd like to add to this. Although we have gotten in the habit of naming the crit circles after geographic regions in order to identify who they may be most convenient for, you do not have to live in those regions in order to participate. If, for example, you live in North America and work a midnight shift, one of the other two crit circles might function better for your "evening" hours.

Also, just because a crit circle already exists for one geographic region does not mean you cannot start another. For example, the North American circle meets in the evening hours, but what if you are a stay-at-home mother who has more free time during the day than in the evening? There might be others in a similar situation. All you have to do is contact a mod before creating your own crit circle in order to ensure proper coordination.

I know return you to your newly formed Australian/New Zealand/Asia Pacific crit circle.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Birol's making a good point. The crit circles are all about time zones, and not geographical areas. For that we have countries, and visas, and passports. Sometimes even wars.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
:D Glad to hear it. I just realised that what with some states following daylight savings and some not, we've got a greater range of timezones than I first thought. How late can everyone possibly go on a Friday night? How early can you all start?

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
Where are most participants located?

Given the habit some have for going out on Friday evenings, does Friday remain the best option?

You might well find that with the significant time differences between NZ and WA it's not going to be practical.

Just some questions for you.;)

Last edited:

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
I'm retired, so I can usually make my day time free of commitments.

On any day M-F, between 5pm-6pm I have commitments -- that's 3-4 for QLD, VIC and NSW not considering DST changes. Weekends are problematic for me.

I'm normally up to around midnight, so lateness isn't a problem for me. I reckon most of you easterners will be in bed by then. :) I feel I can make comments like that because prior to being headhunted to come to WA, I'd lived in QLD, NSW, ACT and VIC.

I'm sure we can work something out. :hooray:

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay. Here's my thoughts. Working from point 0

VIC/NSW = 0 time
qld = -1 (although in winter it would also = 0 )
SA = -0.5
WA = -3 (although in winter it would = -2)

No NZ'ers as of yet.

So, my thinking is that if we start at 9:30 pm NSW/Vic time, that would suit the most people. Therefore, that would mean:

NSW/VIC = 9:30
QLD = 8:30
SA = 9:00
WA = 6:30

All in pm of course.

Does that suit most of you?

Last edited:

EssieRatcliff

will finish this story, honest.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nekoroji.blogspot.com
Sounds interesting. I'd love to take part but my timetable's so erratic I don't know if I could. Oh well, I can always observe from a distance...

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Sian did you get my email?

I sent it a while ago but it was from my phone so maybe it didn't go through.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, good point. I probably should confirm that I got everyone's email. Off to do it now.

If any of you have trouble getting into the crit circle chat room (not the AW one, you want the one with the password) give me a bell, and I'll see if I can talk you through it.

EssieRatcliff - we're going at 8:30 EST (so the time in Queensland atm) on Friday the 14th of January, if that helps. I'm currently running through the basic guidelines with everyone, and am only drawing out of the hat who gets critiqued this month by the end of the week. So there's still time to jump in.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
You can add me, but I'll confess I'm confused lol about how all this works...I don't have anything I want critted but would be happy to play and am usually home Friday evenings if that is still the day, but as we are so close to Santa comming, yo, next, no the next Friday I won't be able to play...will anyone LOL

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is that an evil grin. You Ozzies...no bashing, ok. ;)

That is not an evil grin. I'm just happy that we are finally international within the afore mentioned time zones (no offence Sara and Deb :p )

well, there may be a tiny mention about sheep and breeding practises

No ill intentions. Honest :) :e2flowers

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I would totally be interested in participating! I'm in Perth so GMT +8

I work full time and only get home at about 5:30 pm WST, and have to go to bed around 9:30 WST - well, I only go to bed then so I can read for an hour before sleep :p Obviously weekends I am available anytime, theoretically. ;)

And when we say no more than 5,000 words, I assume we'd be submitting say, a chapter or 2 from a novel, for critiquing? Whatever amounted to not more than 5k, that is. I assume this because of the forum we're in, but never can be too careful. LOL.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
That is not an evil grin. I'm just happy that we are finally international within the afore mentioned time zones (no offence Sara and Deb :p )

well, there may be a tiny mention about sheep and breeding practises

No ill intentions. Honest :) :e2flowers

Lol, no offense taken.
I sent my email back to you. I hope you got it.
Usually really good w/time zones, here, not so much.
Sian, I really need to catch you in chat one day. Not sure I'm picking the correct time zone on my laptop.
(I've got one set at Sydney which is GMT +10hours.)

Status
Not open for further replies.