Cutesie-wootsie, overused, and/or trendy expressions I'd like to kill with fire

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that when you take two babies and smack their heads together - kind of like a fist bump?

No, it's not, and please stand by as Children Services will be visiting you shortly...

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"Awesome."

"Awesome" is one of my all-time favorite words. It's also the basis for several other amazing words: awesomely, awesomeesque,
awesomeology (the scientific study of all things awesome), and awesomeosity, just to name a few.

Whenever someone criticizes the misuse or overuse of the word awesome, I politely remind them of Aristotle's timeless maxim: "Everything is awesome; everything is cool when you're part of a team".

:Lecture:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
When someone refers to Target -- one of my all-time favorite stores, by the way -- as "Tar-zhay", saying it in a faux French accent.

I usually get annoyed whenever someone says Tar-zhay, but lately I've become resigned to it. I just grin and bear it, and silently tell myself, "C'est la vie".
We use it as a joke among my husband and brothers-in-law. My husband shops at "KMartha," one BIL shops at "Tar-zhay," and the other at "JC Penn-ay." This has been going on for years. A close relative always looked down on "those stores" and only shopped at Neiman-Marcus and the like, so they came up with that. At least they thought they were being original!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Sick of and guilty of at the same time:

"Awesome."

(Bill Engvall does a greart stand up about this.)
Our company president is a recent transplant from the UK. He goes on about the difference between "American awesome" - which is it's pretty OK and "UK awesome" which is that's the absolutely best.

But they have the same problem with "brilliant." UK Brilliant is more like Congratulations, you didn't choke on your own tongue and American brilliant is Wow! You're an actual genius.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I sometimes wish I were British so I could roll off an ironic "brilliant" (meaning "congrats, you didn't choke on your own tongue") with just the right dry touch. I sincerely think only the British can carry that one off properly.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
We use it as a joke among my husband and brothers-in-law. My husband shops at "KMartha," one BIL shops at "Tar-zhay," and the other at "JC Penn-ay." This has been going on for years. A close relative always looked down on "those stores" and only shopped at Neiman-Marcus and the like, so they came up with that. At least they thought they were being original!

When I was in college almost every one of my classmates called the nearby fast-food restaurants by a "fancy" name. McDonald's was "Mickey D's", Burger King was "The B.K. Lounge", Jack-in-the-Box was "Jacques' Bistro", and so on. (I would post the "rolling eyes" emoticon, :)rolleyes:) but I used to do it too!)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this thread has been dead for a while. I can't help it. I must complain.

"bod." As in bikini bod, office bod, or dad bod. Really? It's too much trouble to tack on that extra letter?

Thank you. I feel better.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
cray, i'm afraid you aren't allowed in this thread.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
but i was just about to list my top life hacks for everyone.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I am totes going to report you.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm totes sorry, cray, but you've just been reported for something in this thread which I'm not sure what it is but it must be important because two of those female types did it and one of them was crying which I'm pretty sure means she's serious although you never know with them for sure and I'm not sure if it means an insurrection or anything but just to be sure I thought it was better to stop this right here in case it escalated into something that didn't involve brassieres or anything because even though we hate each other we are both bros *fist bump* even though like we can't ever agree on anything because

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
That's telling him, Haggis.

He has to go away and stay out of this thread forever and ever and ever and never mention life hacks again.

Right?

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I hate baby bump too, and I usually gag when I stumble across ads or websites that adorably refer to non-specific babies as "Baby," as if the word were a proper noun, instead of "the baby," or "your baby," or simply in a collective sense (babies).

As in, "This helps keeps Baby's bottom dry."

I really loathe the word "incentivize," though. That one seems to be going away, Thank God.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New cliché-ish phrases drive me up the wall. Most recently, "You're good to go." What if I want to stay?

Last edited:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Working for a huge multinational corporation has driven me to the point of forming a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the English Language.

I give you:

Utilize (means use)
Timeline (means time)
Lifecycle (means time)
Deliverables (means jobs)
Bestshore (noun - means abroad)
Bestshore (verb - means make people redundant)
Resources (means people, but in a dehumanized sort of way)
Leverage (means share, and the person saying it is an idiot)
Leveraged (means the person saying it is an idiot, and has no understanding of English grammar at all)
Leveraged Resources (means I'm really starting to hate you now)
Behaviours (means someone did an HR course)
Actualize (I really don’t think this one means anything at all)

I have a headache now…

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Anything that is supposed to end in 'ly' (making it an adverb, unless my English teach lied to me) used without the ending. (leaving it an adjective)

They played awesome

Last edited:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bye, Felicia

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
There is one phrase that has been multiplying like rabbits with calculators at my workplace place lately: "bad boy". As in-- "Do have the so and so file? Put that bad boy on my desk." "I bought a quadruple deep fried lard burger with bacon and extra cheese, but I'm saving that bad boy for after lunch."
It just grates on me. That and the woman who keeps using the phrase "awesome sauce". :Headbang: