Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yes. The citywide tornado sirens went off about quarter to one o'clock, local time, and kept going for about forty minutes.

We spent the time in the basement.

All we got was rain, torrential rain, black-and-green skies, and hours of severe winds. The winds have kept gusting, although it's much clearer now. We even had sun for a bit.

I hear they had to clear Soldier Field during the (American) football game, but that the game went on after the storm passed.

The National Weather Service says ten tornadoes touched down in Illinois, including some in the south suburbs of Chicago.

Indiana and Kentucky have also been clobbered by the same system.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I talked to friends in Urbana, Illinois. They had terrible winds but the worst part of the storms went around them. Their daughter in Indianna is okay but said she had complete strangers seeking shelter in her house during the worst of the storm. They are trying to get in touch with a grandson in Washington, Illinois. Does anyone know anything about Pekin or Washington? s6

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only that they got hit hard, Shakeysix. The pictures from Washington are showing massive destruction.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
The same front is supposed to hit western PA between 9 and 10, though somewhat diminished in strength. We're on a high wind advisory until tomorrow morning.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have been out all day. Only heard about it when I turned on the TV. I saw Urbana all marked up and called. My friends are in their eighties and do not watch television. I have since seen the pictures and wow-- I am hoping that Calvin checks in soon. Grandma and Grandpa are worried for good reason--s6

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Calvin checked in. He was at his grandfather's farm this afternoon so missed the tornado. He works downtown and doesn't know if there was damage to his workplace. His school in Peoria seems to be okay. Glad he thought to check in. His grandparents are too old to worry like that. Prayers for everyone's families--s6

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this must be affecting lots of folks. This report says the storm surge expected is the largest in thirty years: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25228654

Thinking of my friends over there, you all be safe and stay dry!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
We're ok. The East Coast has been through this before as it's flat land. And the flood defences are pretty good now. Some people have been evacuated but there's a lot of grumping about the storm being hyped and 'I've seen worse. When I was a kid......' and 'Back in my day we wouldn't leave the house til it was up to our necks! Don't know you're born these days....' :D

As for the West Coast, it is also used to high tides. So nothing special.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The midwest here in the US is having a lot of snow and ice, with many without power.

Thanks for your stormie central, Stormie. Lots of snow and freezing temperatures this morning in Oregon. It's still coming down. Could be a white Christmas.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're ok. The East Coast has been through this before as it's flat land. And the flood defences are pretty good now. Some people have been evacuated but there's a lot of grumping about the storm being hyped and 'I've seen worse. When I was a kid......' and 'Back in my day we wouldn't leave the house til it was up to our necks! Don't know you're born these days....' :D

As for the West Coast, it is also used to high tides. So nothing special.

That's the spirit. Churchill would be proud :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks for checking in, Miranda. Glad it's not too terrible.

Snow here in Oregon. But no wind, thank God!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah good. Glad to hear Priene is ok.

To everyone who is not in Britain, we don't really have the mad extremes of weather that other people get. Thank the gods we don't get tornados like the US or hurricanes like the Philippines. We don't get earthquakes like Japan or monsoon rain like India or ice storms like Alaska and Siberia.

So when our media says 'it's the worse storm ever!' it is, for us. But it's nothing even close to Katrina or Sandy.

Thank you for all the good wishes though.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the most tornado-prone area in the world. And today everyone is stuck home due to a ice storm.

But I still love it here. :)

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Doesn't Singapore like have no natural disasters at all?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Miranda, I was reading that there were hundred mile an hour winds with gusts up to 140, which is hurricane strength, hence my concern.... But very glad you are okay. I know how weather people like to overdramatize too. Hard to know what's of real issue when they do that!

:)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yes welll.... they said it was up to 140.....

It was falling trees that killed the three people that died. And flood water that caused most of the damage. But yeah, the media do love to act like it's the end of the world! But you only have to look at Tacloban to know how lucky we are for living in a temperate zone.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's a hugely long line of storms going across the US today and headed toward the East Coast. It's just gone over Nashville, and is expected here (Atlanta/North Georgia) early morning before sunrise. The area is under a Flood Watch and forecasts are for storms, "some could be severe," but I noticed Birmingham is under a tornado watch. After the initial storms it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/21/us/winter-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t3