• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dorchester Publishing / Leisure Books

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
And here is an update on Dorchester: Chris Keeslar is out, leaving Dorchester with only 5 people on staff, and the trade paperback line looks to be in serious trouble.

Heather Josepowitz, who was the only Trues editor left after the last downsizing, is also out. Hannah Wolfson (Dorchester's marketing and publicity coordinator) and Samantha Hazell (Dorchester's contracts and rights assistant) are now editing the Trues. :Wha:

So, with Chris Keeslar and Heather Josepowitz both gone, Dorchester no longer has an editorial department.

Last edited:

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They are still apparently "operating" in some way. Seems they still want income, they just don't have any editors or pay people. Non-payment reports now coming in from the "Dorchester Media" Trues freelancers as well.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
They are still apparently "operating" in some way. Seems they still want income, they just don't have any editors or pay people. Non-payment reports now coming in from the "Dorchester Media" Trues freelancers as well.

I'm one of the Trues freelancers, not a Dorchester book author. Sorry for confusion.

On the Trues authors loop, they were actively soliciting stories last week. Today, they said Dorchester was in the process of moving to a new office and that the phones should be back up and running next week.

ETA: Agent Kristin Nelson isn't buying it: http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2012/03/we-are-so-dense-about-technology-that.html

Last edited:

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Years ago I almost sent one of my novels to Dorchester. Soooooooo very glad that I dodged that bullet.
I'm sending mojo in great interwebs waves to those writers that need their rights reverted! Good luck and I'm totally pulling for you all!

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Posted 2 hours ago on Facebook:

Authors, agents, and fans:
Dorchester Publishing and Dorchester Media just moved to our new Park Avenue offices.

Currently, our phones are in the process of being switched over to our new location and will be reinstated shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience during this transition. Stay tuned for more info.
Half an hour ago it was followed by:

Authors, agents, and fans,
While we are waiting for our phones service to resume, please feel free to contact us via . Stay tuned for more info.[/QUOTE]

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Update: the magazine division (Dorchester Media) was sold, not the book division. Yet.

When I spoke with Burton Weston earlier this afternoon, he confirmed for me that only the Dorchester Media division was auctioned today. The Dorchester Publishing division was not, although he does expect it to be at a later date.

Let me bullet-point that for you: Dorchester still plans to auction the rights to books they do not legally own the rights to.

http://www.briankeene.com/?p=10828

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Well isn't that clever. Foreclose on your own company for a loan, seize all the assets (which includes works of authorship, copyrights) and sell them. Owner gets all the $$$.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Well isn't that clever. Foreclose on your own company for a loan, seize all the assets (which includes works of authorship whose rights are in dispute, copyrights) and sell them. Owner gets all the $$$.

Fixed it for ya.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the foreclosure is quick, as it seems to be, he could sell the book rights before the dispute is appreciated by all involved.

peakbloom

Registered
Reaction score
Ooops! Dorchester Publishing did it again

Starting Feb. 28 I wrote the New York Times, The National Enquirer, The Wall Street Journal, People Magazine and the CBS TV affiliate in NYC. And 60 Minutes. And many other media outlets. I was attempting to get the media to pressure Dorchester before they did this. No one responded.

Today when Brian Keene warned us via Twitter that this was coming down the pike I again emailed the NY Times. Its offices are very close to Madison Ave. I asked why a company basically foreclosing on itself was not national news. Even before this happened--I asked all the media outlets why it was not national news that the USA's oldest indepenent mass market book publisher was committing fraud. No response. I also asked why the 250,000 or so subscribers to True Story and True Confessions magazines that were defrauded were not mentioned in the national news. Some of the USA's longest-running magazines.

I was considering contacting the Justic Dept., the Dept. of Labor, the NY AG and the FBI.

Today they apparently auctioned off the magazine division. We know for a fact they owe me and Bubastates money. We know of others also--but most are not as "mouthy and sassy" about it. LOL! Technically they auctioned off stolen goods.

Since I am still owed for three stories--I suppose I can go after the new owners and insist they do nothing with their stolen goods. And I can also turn those stories into novels now.

And what is the media and law enforcement going to do to stop Dorchester Publishing from auctioning off the book division? We also know for a fact they owe authors money and have no right to auction off stolen goods.

And yes--today we still were being told a move to Park Avenue was happening.

And yes--a Dorchester employee was still on the writing loop asking for stories (more stolen goods) and presenting a deadline schedule for the next year.

As Brian Keene suggested--we need to remember these people's names and make sure we never deal with a company again where any of these people are working. I will do that--but I would prefer a jail sentence for them. This is fraud--plain and simple.

I am almost certain that Dorchester's owner, John Backe, has it all legally tied up where his own holding company can foreclose on himself so to speak. Again--this may be legal, but it's immoral and I want to know why the media is not digging into this. If they don't--it will probably happen again

Just for kicks--go to Twitter (I just learned how to Twitter yesterday in honor of Dorchester) and type in Dorchester. You'll see just a handful of tweets. I'm asking writers to flood Twitter with tweets about this. It mught be a good way to get the attention of media and consumers--who can still unwittingly by Dorchester books in stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
And just think of how recently people who claimed to be sharp and knowledgeable enough about the industry to work as literary agents were assuring us that Dorchester was the best place to submit because their move to digital was so smart and forward-thinking. :rolleyes: