• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #31 - Beta Project 2014

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: "untitled"
Manuscript Genre: Historical Spy Thriller
Manuscript Word Count: 71,000 out of 90,000
Is your manuscript finished?: No

Hook:

Spring 1945 - Hitler is on the brink of defeat when his general in charge of secret projects, Hans Kammler, produces a weapon that will allow the Nazis to turn the tide of the war and possibly change the face of history. The Allies know there is only one operative in the world that has the skills needed to go into Hitler’s backyard and either steal this weapon or destroy it. “Wild” Bill Donovan, head of the Office of Strategic Services, must turn to Jake Doyle. Donovan and Winston Churchill are worried it might be too soon for their best agent, having just lost his wife and best friend, but there is no other choice. Doyle has to fight not only Hitler’s elite military units and a deranged killer from his past, but also forces inside the US government that want to see him fail and they all want Jake dead.

First 750 words:

He had always considered himself unlucky in love. Two days ago Josh met the most amazing lover he had ever known. But now, as his luck would have it, he realized he was about to die a horrible death.

Forty-eight hours earlier, with both apprehension and excitement, United States Navy Lieutenant Joshua Thompson had settled his tall, slender frame into his seat aboard the C-54 Skymaster. The four engine transport aircraft would be making another routine flight out of Bolling Army Airfield, but for Josh it was the beginning of a new chapter in his life. For two years he had enjoyed a wartime assignment at the Pentagon, allowing him to live at his parents house in Bowie, Maryland while fighting Hitler. But now that the war seemed to be coming to an end, England would be his last chance to get anywhere close to the action and it was thrilling.

Josh buckled his seatbelt, careful not to crease his freshly pressed dress blue uniform pants. When he looked up the most beautiful, tall blonde boarded the plane. Josh could hardly believe his luck when they ended up sitting next to each other. Chatting nonstop during the trip from Washington D.C. to London, he discovered they had much in common. They were both from Maryland, 24 years old and both making their first trip over the Pond. It was 16 hours with a fuel stop in Gander, Newfoundland, yet the time seemed to fly by.

Josh felt the spark between them and was thrilled his offer for dinner in London was accepted. After an expensive meal and two bottles of wine they stumbled their way back to Josh’s hotel for the most amazing night of love making. The sex was a little on the rough side, but Josh enjoyed every minute of it. He did not normally move this fast in a relationship, but somehow this just felt so right.

After breakfast they agreed to visit the English countryside. At his new friend’s suggestion Josh rented out a secluded farm cottage on a large estate outside the city where nobody would bother them. He had flown out early to tour London before starting his assignment as a crypto-analyst at the highly classified code breaking station at Bletchley Park. Josh did not have to report in for three more days, but now he was going to spend the weekend in bed. He could always take the 50 mile train ride into London to do his sight seeing later in the spring. He had time.

They stepped inside their small cottage a few miles outside of Bletchley and Josh could not believe what was going through his mind. Could I be falling in love so soon? He set the cottage key down on the small, dusty kitchen table. His face was beaming when he turned to his new lover, only to find himself staring down the barrel of a Colt M1911 pistol. The smile and the blood immediately drained from his face.

“What the hell is that, Dan?” Josh’s voice cracked.

“My name isn’t Dan.” The man motioned his weapon towards one of the wooden chairs at the small kitchen table. “Sit,” he commanded.

Josh froze. He could not believe what was happening. It did not make any sense. Dan, or whatever his name was, just pointed again to the chair, “Sit.”

Josh inched toward the chair with his hands up in front of him. His bottom lip started to quiver. When he was seated his beautiful lover worked with great speed and competency in tying Josh’s arms and legs to the chair with some rope that seemed to appear from nowhere.

“What do you want?” he managed between sobs.

He received no reply other than watching in horror as “Dan” pulled out a large knife from an ankle sheath and proceeded to cut off Josh’s right pinkie finger. He let out a hellish shriek that filled the small cottage. Josh turned his head so that he would not have to see the blood pumping out of his hand.

“Stop! Please stop!” No answer.

Tears obscured his vision as his mind raced trying to process what was happening. Maybe someone heard me scream. Maybe some will come help. But then he remembered Dan’s earlier suggestion to get a secluded cottage so they would not be disturbed. It was at that horrible moment that Lt Josh Thompson came to the realization that he was about to die.

What do you look for in a beta?:

It will be a few months before I finish my manuscript and the entire thing is ready to get beta-read. Perhaps there are betas willing to read small chunks of my writing. To be honest, I'm sure I will need help with just about every aspect of my writing. So I'm more than willing to accept criticism/suggestions from the largest view down to the smallest syntax.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hook:

Spring 1945 - Hitler is on the brink of defeat when his general in charge of secret projects, Hans Kammler, produces a weapon that will allow the Nazis to turn the tide of the war and possibly change the face of history. The Allies know there is only one operative in the world that has the skills needed to go into Hitler’s backyard and either steal this weapon or destroy it. “Wild” Bill Donovan, head of the Office of Strategic Services, must turn to Jake Doyle. Donovan and Winston Churchill are worried it might be too soon for their best agent, having just lost his wife and best friend, but there is no other choice. Doyle has to fight not only Hitler’s elite military units and a deranged killer from his past, but also forces inside the US government that want to see him fail. and they all want Jake dead.

First 750 words:

He had always considered himself unlucky in love. Two days ago Josh met the most amazing lover he had ever known. But now, as his luck would have it, he realized he was about to die a horrible death. (Great hook!)

Forty-eight hours earlier, with both apprehension and excitement, United States Navy Lieutenant Joshua Thompson had settled his tall, slender frame into his seat aboard the C-54 Skymaster. The four engine transport aircraft would be making another routine flight out of Bolling Army Airfield, but for Josh it was the beginning of a new chapter in his life. For two years he had enjoyed a wartime assignment at the Pentagon, allowing him to live at his parents house in Bowie, Maryland while fighting Hitler. But now that the war seemed to be coming to an end, England would be his last chance to get anywhere close to the action, and it was thrilling.

Josh buckled his seatbelt, careful not to crease his freshly pressed dress blue uniform pants. When he looked up, the most beautiful, tall blonde boarded the plane. Josh could hardly believe his luck when they ended up sitting next to each other. Chatting nonstop during the trip from Washington D.C. to London, he discovered they had much in common. They were both from Maryland, both 24 years old, and both making their first trip over the Pond. It was 16 hours with a fuel stop in Gander, Newfoundland, yet the time seemed to fly by.

Josh felt the spark between them and was thrilled his offer for dinner in London was accepted. After an expensive meal and two bottles of wine, they stumbled their way back to Josh’s hotel for the most amazing night of love-making. The sex was a little on the rough side, but Josh enjoyed every minute of it. He did not normally move this fast in a relationship, but somehow this just felt so right. ("somehow" "just" and "so" are all filler words; don't use more than one or, at the very most, two at a time)

After breakfast they agreed to visit the English countryside. At his new friend’s suggestion, (new friend sounds like an understatement) Josh rented out a secluded farm cottage on a large estate outside the city where nobody would bother them. He had flown out early to tour London before starting his assignment as a crypto-analyst at the highly classified code breaking station at Bletchley Park. Josh did not have to report in for three more days, but now he was going to spend the weekend in bed. He could always take the 50 mile train ride into London to do his sight seeing later in the spring. He had time.

They stepped inside their small cottage a few miles outside of Bletchley, and Josh could not believe what was going through his mind. Could I be falling in love so soon? He set the cottage key down on the small, dusty kitchen table. His face was beaming when he turned to his new lover, only to find himself staring down the barrel of a Colt M1911 pistol. The smile and the blood immediately drained from his face.

“What the hell is that, Dan?” Josh’s voice cracked. (I'm totally cool with gay characters, but it would have been great if, when you'd mentioned a "beautiful, tall blonde," you'd have thrown in the word "man." People tend to assume heterosexuality unless otherwise specified, and "beautiful" is a word that tends to be associated with women more often than men. Therefore, the reader has probably spent all this time picturing a woman, and when you get to the name "Dan" here, they're so busy trying to go back and reformulate their idea of what they've read so far that they aren't even shocked by Dan's holding a gun to Josh's head.)

“My name isn’t Dan.” The man motioned his weapon towards one of the wooden chairs at the small kitchen table. “Sit,” he commanded.

Josh froze. He could not believe what was happening. It did not make any sense. Dan, or whatever his name was, just pointed again to the chair, . “Sit.”

Josh inched toward the chair with his hands up in front of him. His bottom lip started to quiver. When he was seated, his beautiful lover worked with great speed and competency in tying Josh’s arms and legs to the chair with some rope that seemed to appear from nowhere.

“What do you want?” he managed between sobs.

He received no reply other than watching in horror as “Dan” pulled out a large knife from an ankle sheath and proceeded to cut off Josh’s right pinkie finger. He let out a hellish shriek that filled the small cottage. Josh turned his head so that he would not have to see the blood pumping out of his hand.

“Stop! Please stop!” No answer.

Tears obscured his vision as his mind raced, trying to process what was happening. Maybe someone heard me scream. Maybe some will come help. (If you're going to switch to first person POV for internal thoughts, you should italicize them or something to mark them. Alternatively, you could put them in third, like the rest of the text, and just leave them unitalicized as indirect discourse)But then he remembered Dan’s earlier suggestion to get a secluded cottage so they would not be disturbed. It was at that horrible moment that Lt. Josh Thompson came to the realization that he was about to die.

--

I really enjoyed this piece so far. The biggest problem I had with it while reading was that issue of having to readjust my mental image when I found out the blonde was Dan rather than Danielle.

I also think that this scene would be a lot better served to be shown rather than told. The writing style you use when depicting it hints that this stuff is unimportant beginning stuff, but it's filled with tension and emotion and intrigue. Maybe it's not as important in the grand scheme of things (you would know that better than I do since I haven't seen your novel or its outline) but from where I'm standing, it demands showing.

What this means is that you should pick pieces of this two day span of time to fully immerse yourself in. You can still summarize parts, such as the entirety of the in-flight conversation or the sex scene, but take other parts and put them in scene. Absolutely everything about going to the cottage should be in scene (as in, more physical detail of the setting, some dialogue before entering, etc.) but you should also give us in-scene interactions of the couple before that moment. For example, maybe you could show us Josh getting on the plane, sitting down, watching Dan, and striking up conversation all in scene, and then when conversation is clearly going well, you could use summary to "fast-forward" through the flight and resulting date, and then open up into scene again en route to the cottage.

Anyway, you drew me in pretty effectively with this one. Good job!

--

I would be willing to beta this. If you want me to wait until you're finished drafting, that's fine. If you have stuff you want to show me now, that's fine, too. Whatever works for you. I will warn you, though, that I've never been into history, so I'm not going to be a good resource for the fact-checking side of things.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: "untitled"
Manuscript Genre: Historical Spy Thriller
Manuscript Word Count: 71,000 out of 90,000
Is your manuscript finished?: No

Hook:

Red colored stuff is explained a few paragraphs down.

Spring 1945 - Hitler is on the brink of defeat when his general in charge of secret projects, Hans Kammler, produces a weapon that will allow the Nazis to turn the tide of the war and possibly change the face of history. The Allies know there is only one operative in the world that has the skills needed to go into Hitler’s backyard and either steal this weapon or destroy it. “Wild” Bill Donovan And I thought that was the agent at first..., head of the Office of Strategic Services, must turn to Jake Doyle. Donovan and Winston Churchill are worried it might be too soon for their best agent to rejoin the fight, having just lost his wife and best friend, but there is no other choice. Doyle has to fight not only Hitler’s elite military units and a deranged killer from his past, but also forces inside the US government that want to see him fail This almost calls for a sentence break, but not quite... and yet, it needs something. Perhaps a sentence AND a line break. and they all want Jake dead.

In general, the hook is very strong. I was actually quite pleased with it - clearly states the world stakes and such. But it doesn't tell me much about Jake; leading me to assume the novel is either in omni, or more about Wild Bill than it is about Jake... but the content of the hook tells me otherwise. Tell me more about Jake and his trials and tribulations, and I'll be a happy camper.

First 750 words:

He had always considered himself unlucky in love. Two days ago Josh met the most amazing lover he had ever known. But now, as his luck would have it, he realized he was about to die a horrible death. Consider starting the first sentence with Josh's name, then swap the next one with "he".

Forty-eight hours earlier, with both apprehension and excitement, United States Navy Lieutenant Joshua Thompson had settled his tall, slender frame into his seat aboard the C-54 Skymaster. The four engine transport aircraft would be making another routine flight out of Bolling Army Airfield, but for Josh it was the beginning of a new chapter in his life. For two years he had enjoyed a wartime assignment at the Pentagon, allowing him to live at his parents house in Bowie, Maryland while fighting Hitler. But now that the war seemed to be coming to an end, England would be his last chance to get anywhere close to the action. It and it was thrilling.

Josh buckled his seatbelt Sorry, I'm not entirely with you on the flashback yet. The transition paragraph above was all still in the present, reflecting backwards. But now we're actually back in time (no more "had"s in play). Smooth out the adjustment a little in the paragraph above, but of course, if you do that, you'll be into flashback territory... a cautious way to open a novel., careful not to crease his freshly pressed dress blue uniform pants. When he looked up, (comma) the most beautiful, (and take out this comma) tall blonde boarded the plane. Josh could hardly believe his luck when they ended up sitting next to each other. Chatting nonstop during the trip from Washington D.C. to London, he discovered they had much in common. They were both from Maryland, 24 years old and both making their first trip over the Pond. It was 16 hours with a fuel stop in Gander, Newfoundland, yet the time seemed to fly by. I forgot to mention, for your hook and for this paragraph, be wary of cliches. I've counted five so far. Six, if you count the tall blonde. Not a good idea in an opening excerpt. If it helps, I'll color them in... say.. red. Okay, I'll be gentle now. There's more than six. Just think of other ways you can phrase these things to be less expected; less common. Less cliche.

Josh felt the spark between them and was thrilled his offer for dinner in London was accepted. After an expensive meal and two bottles of wine, (comma) they stumbled their way back to Josh’s hotel for the most amazing night of love making. The sex was a little on the rough side, but Josh enjoyed every minute of it. He did not normally move this fast in a relationship, but somehow this just felt so right. Sorry, couldn't help flagging another one! All of this, so far, all of it, is telling. Give me showing.. show me these things. I realize you are probably trying to get somewhere else with the story, and I hope you do, quickly, but you're losing me here by recounting past events with no intrigue yet, except the vague possibility of him dying a horrible death soon. But I want to get back to that part.

After breakfast they agreed to visit the English countryside. At his new friend’s Which friend? The lover? suggestion Josh rented out a secluded farm cottage on a large estate outside the city where nobody would bother them. He had flown out early to tour London before starting his assignment as a crypto-analyst at the highly classified code breaking station at Bletchley Park. Josh did not have to report in for three more days, but now he was going to spend the weekend in bed. He could always take the 50 mile train ride into London to do his sight seeing later in the spring. He had time.

They stepped inside You just went from broad strokes overviews to a very specific moment in time. That's okay, just ground me a little more, like "That morning, as he stepped inside.." their small cottage a few miles outside of Bletchley and Josh could not believe what was going through his mind. Could I be falling in love so soon? He set the cottage key down on the small, dusty kitchen table. His face was beaming when he turned to his new lover, only to find himself staring down the barrel of a Colt M1911 pistol. The smile and the blood immediately drained from his face.

“What the hell is that, Dan?” Josh’s voice cracked. Ha, nice one. I just assumed blond woman. You might want to clarify that sooner, just so I don't feel confused and wonder who the hell Dan is here. It made me think a third person had crept up on them, and I had to do a little backtracking and rechecking of the earlier paragraph to reach the conclusion that Dan is the lover.

Josh froze. He could not believe what was happening. It did not make any sense. Dan, or whatever his name was, just pointed again to the chair, “Sit.”

Josh inched toward the chair with his hands up in front of him. His bottom lip started to quiver Awww. That's something a cute kid does, or a teen. I'm having a hard time seeing this in a grown man though. . When he was seated, (comma) his beautiful lover worked with great speed and competency totying Josh’s arms and legs to the chair with some rope that seemed to appear from nowhere.

“What do you want?” Joshmanaged between sobs. And now I'm really not feeling pity for Josh - he cried too easily.

He received no reply other than watching in horror as “Dan” pulled out a large knife from an ankle sheath and proceeded to cut off Josh’s right pinkie finger. You don't just watch in horror as this happens.. you scream bloody murder. Which he does, in the next sentence, but you need to put the pinkie cutting and the screaming together. He let out a hellish shriek that filled the small cottage. Josh turned his head so that he would not have to see the blood pumping out of his hand.

“Stop! Please stop!” Line break these puppies.No answer.

Tears obscured his vision as his mind raced trying to process what was happening. Maybe someone heard me scream. Maybe some will come help. But then he remembered Dan’s earlier suggestion to get a secluded cottage so they would not be disturbed. It was at that horrible moment that Lt Josh Thompson came to the realization that he was about to die. And now you tied it back to the first paragraph.

You know how I said earlier that it was all telling? There's a distance involved when you start with a moment of doom, then show me how you got there. This would pull me in much stronger if you started in the moment, like, "Josh watched as the blood dripped from his missing finger and collected in a pool on the floor. The knife would be back in moments. How did he let this happen?" - does that make sense? Instead of telling me he's going to die, show me. Then I'll be more likely to accept a flashback. :) The same principle applies throughout - show me show me. You don't have to walk us through every moment of them meeting, or the aircraft, or the dinner. You can slip that in, like, "As Josh entered the isolated cottage, he wondered if the sex was going to be as fantastic tonight as it had been in the hotel in London."

I know I broke out my claws here, but I truly mean you the best. You'll get this feedback from others and from agents, and better you hear it here in a supportive environment where the claws are gentle and well-meaning. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Okay, before we get going I should mention that I have never read a historical spy thriller (I’ve read historicals and spy thrillers but have never seen the two combined) and the concept is foreign to me. That being said I am very interested in the work.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I should also mention this is only the third critique I have ever done so any advice I may or may not give should be taken with a grain of salt. If I’m helpful then great, take my advice. If not, I apologize and don’t take my advice. That being said, I will do my best to help you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How I work is like this, I copy and pasted the first 750 words and whenever I feel I can offer my input I’ll chime in in between paragraphs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He had always considered himself unlucky in love. Two days ago Josh met the most amazing lover he had ever known. But now, as his luck would have it, he realized he was about to die a horrible death.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I like this. It’s a strong, intriguing start. Something every thriller needs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Forty-eight hours earlier, with both apprehension and excitement, United States Navy Lieutenant Joshua Thompson had settled his tall, slender frame into his seat aboard the C-54 Skymaster. The four engine transport aircraft would be making another routine flight out of Bolling Army Airfield, but for Josh it was the beginning of a new chapter in his life. For two years he had enjoyed a wartime assignment at the Pentagon, allowing him to live at his parents house in Bowie, Maryland while fighting Hitler. But now that the war seemed to be coming to an end, England would be his last chance to get anywhere close to the action and it was thrilling.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not much I can add to this paragraph outside of parents’ needing an apostrophe.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Josh buckled his seatbelt, careful not to crease his freshly pressed dress blue uniform pants. When he looked up the most beautiful, tall blonde boarded the plane. Josh could hardly believe his luck when they ended up sitting next to each other. Chatting nonstop during the trip from Washington D.C. to London, he discovered they had much in common. They were both from Maryland, 24 years old and both making their first trip over the Pond. It was 16 hours with a fuel stop in Gander, Newfoundland, yet the time seemed to fly by.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Josh felt the spark between them and was thrilled his offer for dinner in London was accepted. After an expensive meal and two bottles of wine they stumbled their way back to Josh’s hotel for the most amazing night of love making. The sex was a little on the rough side, but Josh enjoyed every minute of it. He did not normally move this fast in a relationship, but somehow this just felt so right.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After breakfast they agreed to visit the English countryside. At his new friend’s suggestion Josh rented out a secluded farm cottage on a large estate outside the city where nobody would bother them. He had flown out early to tour London before starting his assignment as a crypto-analyst at the highly classified code breaking station at Bletchley Park. Josh did not have to report in for three more days, but now he was going to spend the weekend in bed. He could always take the 50 mile train ride into London to do his sight seeing later in the spring. He had time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not much to add, but sightseeing is one word.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They stepped inside their small cottage a few miles outside of Bletchley and Josh could not believe what was going through his mind. Could I be falling in love so soon? He set the cottage key down on the small, dusty kitchen table. His face was beaming when he turned to his new lover, only to find himself staring down the barrel of a Colt M1911 pistol. The smile and the blood immediately drained from his face.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“What the hell is that, Dan?” Josh’s voice cracked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“My name isn’t Dan.” The man motioned his weapon towards one of the wooden chairs at the small kitchen table. “Sit,” he commanded.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Josh froze. He could not believe what was happening. It did not make any sense. Dan, or whatever his name was, just pointed again to the chair, “Sit.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Josh inched toward the chair with his hands up in front of him. His bottom lip started to quiver. When he was seated his beautiful lover worked with great speed and competency in tying Josh’s arms and legs to the chair with some rope that seemed to appear from nowhere.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“What do you want?” he managed between sobs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m not loving the absence of dialogue tags.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He received no reply other than watching in horror as “Dan” pulled out a large knife from an ankle sheath and proceeded to cut off Josh’s right pinkie finger. He let out a hellish shriek that filled the small cottage. Josh turned his head so that he would not have to see the blood pumping out of his hand.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Stop! Please stop!” No answer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tears obscured his vision as his mind raced trying to process what was happening. Maybe someone heard me scream. Maybe some will come help. But then he remembered Dan’s earlier suggestion to get a secluded cottage so they would not be disturbed. It was at that horrible moment that Lt Josh Thompson came to the realization that he was about to die.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m kind of confused about what happened to the girl. One moment she was there, the next she’s gone? Is that what’s going on?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IN CLOSING[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Outside of the dialogue tags there is not a lot that is bothering me about the work. I’m sorry that I don’t have much to add, but I really liked it. I’d definitely buy a copy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Something I can add that perhaps may not be mentioned by the other critters is your MC’s name, Jake Doyle is also the name of the main character in the popular Canadian television series, ‘Republic Of Doyle’. I thought I should let you know that if you didn’t already.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Best wishes to you and Untitled.[/FONT]

Flounder32

Pilot,Writer,Renaissance Man,Idiot
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much to those who critiqued my work. I am absolutely going to take your suggestions to heart and rewrite this. It's so hard to see what you are doing wrong in your own writing, and this will definitely help me get on the correct path.

I will try and make the changes soon and repost this excerpt. Thanks y'all!