• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Forge ahead with a pocket full of tools

AlexDove

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexdove.com
Whether you are a pantser or a plotter, there are a few tricks I use to kick-start the creativity. But firstly, if you are under stress (whether self-induced or not) I would recommend getting to a calm place. If that is the other room and away from the kids or something that takes longer (weeks or months) to get into the right headspace, that is of vital importance. Sometimes it takes stepping away from writing for a period of time and then coming back to it to help.

I have story cubes. They are dice with pictures on each side. I have several sets. I choose a these and roll the dice to see if an idea germinates.

Another tip is I keep a notepad close at hand (as well as my phone). I jot down ideas all the time. It may only be a single word or a sentence. It doesn’t have to be about the beginning of the book. I simply write ideas down. Then I re-read the ideas to see where it could lead.

Foolish Frost

is just an old Fool.
Registered
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in the Fate Core RPG system of Aspects.

An aspect is a sentence about the character that defines them and their place in the world, and is true.

I have a character called Marra.

Marra is a [Satyrn alchemist who owns her own shop]

We have defined her species [satyrn], her occupation [alchemist], and her place in the world [owns her own shop].

Now, we add a few more aspects:

She [embraces her satyrn heritage, though she lives in a human city.]

Her [Father does not approve of her relationship with a human.]

Marra [Has a temper, and is prone to fits of outrage and anger.]

[Kitten is Marra's spirit familiar, and watches over things for her.]

The interesting thing about aspects is that they not only define parts of a character... but give permission to engage with those themes.

"Her [Father does not approve of her relationship with a human.]" We now know this human is on the table for the character. Who is he? Why does her father disapprove? What is her relationship with her father?

As the character progresses, you can swap out aspects:

Marra finds herself in her parent's homeland, and finds out that:
Marra [loves her satyrn heritage, but it's not what she expected from being raised in a human city.]

Aspects change focus as chapters and acts move along. Characters change. When you see an aspect change, ask yourself, are you focusing on that change enough? Is it a point you need to make? What is the transition? How does she feel about it?

It's not the plot; it's about how the characters exist.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, then, you favor a bio sheet, like many others do.