Full Manuscript Request - Do I alert other agents?

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
After getting a dozens of rejections for the past months and only one partial request, I finally now have a full request.

Two of the agents whom I've not heard back from asked they be notified if another agent requests a full: I have notified them.

The agent who requested a partial also asked to be notified of a full request in her website instructions. Since she's already got a partial, do I still notify her, or does that usually only apply to unreplied queries?

A handful of agents only request notifications on offers, so naturally I will not notify them of the full request.

For all the other agents who have yet to reply, do I notify them? They give no guidance on the matter.

Appreciate any thoughts in advance!

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
If they specify that they want to be notified if another agent requests a full, then I'd let them know. Same for the agent with a partial. I wouldn't notify any agent who doesn't have specific guidance; honestly, I think I've only ever seen "let me know if you get an offer" in the instructions before, and that seems to be the general expectation.

Congrats on the new full request!

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
"let me know if you get an offer" ... seems to be the general expectation.

That makes sense but very few agents say it outright. I'm up to 3 fulls and 2 partials outstanding. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but if I get an offer, what do I do for the agents that have yet to respond? I'm assuming some are silent passes. Should I only notify the agents that I consider "dream" agents and withdraw all other queries? Or notify only those who specifically requested it?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That makes sense but very few agents say it outright. I'm up to 3 fulls and 2 partials outstanding. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but if I get an offer, what do I do for the agents that have yet to respond? I'm assuming some are silent passes. Should I only notify the agents that I consider "dream" agents and withdraw all other queries? Or notify only those who specifically requested it?

AFAIK the general expectation is to notify agents who have the full, and give them a timeframe to respond.

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
They might be silent passes, but they might also just be overloaded agents who have a big to-do list of submissions. If that's the case, and you're interested in them as a potential agent still, letting them know there's an offer on your desk could be the nudge to move your query up to the top of the pile. Or, it could shake out a not-so-silent pass.

If you've since decided you don't necessarily want someone as an agent that you submitted to, withdrawing seems like the polite thing to do.