Gardeners of AW, unite

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Hip. You need a greenhouse.

Unfortunately we're in a rental now, but we're saving for a place of our own (I used to have one).

When we do, a potting shed is tops on my list of things I want (one with a Solatube or something in the top to let in lots of Alberta sunshine). This may have to come after the Viking/Thermador range that I'll need for the kitchen makeover that will also need to happen

:)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Blacbird, do you start any plants indoors?

Almost every year, but I have limited space resources for doing so.

And two young Siamese cats who just love to nibble tender green leafy things.

Today it's a trifle warmer, and sunny, and I'm going to go out on my front steps, which are framed in a warm bubble of sunlight, and start a few things in small pots. Probably some cabbages, broccoli, bok choi and herbs.

caw

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took the peppers outside to water them, along with the rosemarry which will stay out. I also planted more spinach and put in a row of peas (8')

I covered that and the not yet sprouted lettuce with plastic to warm things up.

Those beds didnt need much prep work, but I also started prepping my 10x4 which is a mess and has a lot of grass invading. I'll put edging in soon.

And now I wait...

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I always have trouble when I try to grow things indoors. -_- If it's not fungus gnats, it's mold, and if it's not mold, it's spider mites, and if it's none of them it's because I've sprayed the plants with rancid-smelling neem oil that puts everyone in the house off their appetites. Like rotten fish plus oranges. I guess I recommend it for gardeners trying to diet, lol.

Oh, and red okra? RED OKRA? Has anyone heard of such a thing?
I saw them in a catalogue, along with some near-white ones. Supposedly they taste the same as green. Me, I want cow horn ones because supposedly they have fewer problems with woody fibers forming in the pods, but I've never seen those seeds around here.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Whoo Hoo

Just found out our Library is starting a seed library. It's a really neat concept, the Library has a bunch of seeds (re-purposing the card catalog) and anyone can come in and "borrow" seeds.
At the end of the growing season, each person is to bring in seeds from that year's crop to refurbish the supply.

I think I'll check it out this week and see what I can round out! Also I'll be dropping some seeds off that I somehow got a ton of (mostly flowers)

FUN!

Oh and PS. to deter cats from your plants sprinkle cinnamon in the top of the dirt. It will also help with mildew and maybe insects.

weavergirl

Registered
Reaction score
Fenika, I'll let you know when the seeds are ready. It will be a couple of weeks, the pods are just starting to dry. There will be plenty to share.

Thinking good growing thoughts to everyone starting their spring gardens!

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad we brought in the pots and covered the flowers last night. It's snowing right now.

Now to find a place where the plants will be safe from kids and still get what little sun we'll have today.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished planting the first rows of spinache, radishes and beets. Oh, and my taters went in.

In previous years I'd been able to do this a month earlier, but we've had a crazy cold spell that only ended a few days ago.

Did anyone else experience strange weather anomalies?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fenika, I'll let you know when the seeds are ready. It will be a couple of weeks, the pods are just starting to dry. There will be plenty to share.

Thinking good growing thoughts to everyone starting their spring gardens!

Kewlies. :)

I've just finished planting the first rows of spinache, radishes and beets. Oh, and my taters went in.

In previous years I'd been able to do this a month earlier, but we've had a crazy cold spell that only ended a few days ago.

Large temp swings here. But everything is turning green so hopefully no hard frosts.

I am very happy with my simple hoop house so far. I need to get the celeriac planted asap though. They'll need a low hoop house for a few weeks. And I still need to plant the rest of the peas.

quietglow

chocolate. stat.
Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed this sub-forum. Yay, other gardeners!

I just walked over to my plot at lunch and saw that all our radishes (6 varieties. We loves the radishes) are coming up. No peas yet, but they're on their way I'm sure. Everything in the (now uncovered) hoop house is thriving -- probably ready for salad harvesting.

I also know who to come to for beta-readers: I'm working on the second draft of a novel about a woman trying to save her community garden. It's a retelling of a Grimm's tale and sorta magical realism-ish.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score

We had several major thaws followed by several MASSIVE snowstorms, a little later than usual. REALLY hoping this last one was pretty much it for the year. I'm losing my freaking mind wanting to dig!

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Just harvested the first radishes :) Container-grown inside our cabin. If I could stop nibbling on the spinach and arugula, we might actually be able to eat salad...

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
So after spending most of last week inside, the sweet peas are sprouting and there's a little tiny something coming up on the bell peppers. The cheery tomato was looking a little iffy, but I think it's coming back too. Also, I was given another tomato plant as a gift, so now I've got to buy another pot. We'll have lots of cherry tomatoes.

And of course, there might be snow tonight and tomorrow. Go figure.

quietglow

chocolate. stat.
Registered
Reaction score
I had my first harvest of the year yesterday: a nice salad of various greens from the hoop house. The wild arugula was soooo bitter. Yum!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed the first tiny buds on the tomatoes yesterday. We've had coolish nights and mild, sunny days for the past two weeks and I'm hoping this year's tomato yield is better quality than last year's. Hot temps came too early last year and, while the tomatoes were gorgeous, the skins were very, very tough. :( I'm keeping my fingers crossed. All in all, tomatoes, green peppers, parsley, and squash are going great. Cukes are lagging but may yet surprise me.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Hrmmm, one of my tulips came up a funny color - red and yellow streaks. That bulb bed has been in place since 2009 so it's marginally possible that it could be a baby from the first year which is now blooming for the first time. Or it could be one of the dreaded tulip mosaic viruses. But if so, where did it come from? I didn't plant any tulip or lily bulbs last fall (only irises), the only thing I've planted this spring has been seeds and sea holly, I have never ordered any heirloom bulbs that carry the virus, and I have never seen viral streaking in my garden. And it's the only one; usually viral infections hit a whole bed or at least several of the tulips in that bed.

Edit to add pictures:
http://home.comcast.net/~wickeddelight/streakytulip1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~wickeddelight/streakytulip2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~wickeddelight/streakytulip3.jpg

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It snowed, just a little, at my house overnight. Today, temp in mid-30s, 40MPH winds howling from the north. I managed to plant some swiss chard seeds in starter pots. Still 18 inches of snow in my yard, raised beds invisible yet in the garden.

caw

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And in contrast- Lettuce, spinach, snap peas, and brocolli all coming in strong. I still need to get the celeriac started.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the most GORGEOUS old cast iron stove with a little door in the front, and the top is off. We have one antique store here with all kinds of old rusted crap outside that looks great for flea market-type gardens. It's going to make a GLORIOUS planter for something to trail out of the top.

Almost got a female hernia getting it in and out of the trunk, but it was totally worth it. :D

And last week I finished creating my teapot windchime. I saw one at the gift store when we were at Butchart Gardens last year. $200 they wanted for the thing. I said "I was an art major. I can DO this."

It's one of those old silver teapots with the feet. So I found an old beaten up one at Value Village for $10, took fishing line, and from each foot, strung matching beads and an old fork (25 cents for each fork at the thrift store, plus Michael's for the beads), a doo-dad to hang from the bottom center (also Michael's), and a kick-butt knob from Anthropologie for the top ornament. Now I just need to get some miniature chain and hang the thing.

I bought a gorgeous set of outdoor pillows at JYSK last year. One set is striped, with dark teal, white, periwinkle blue, and chocolate brown, and the other has a geometric blob variation of that. So I picked the beads and knob to match that color scheme.

Plus I used spray plastic primer and painted all our unmatched hand-me-down garden furniture to match. And our garage has windows that face into the garden, so I took two of the pillows, ripped off the material, and hung it in the windows.

It's going to look FABULOUS. We had our first REALLY pretty day here yesterday. But it's supposed to rain all weekend. Grrr....

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
That wind chime sounds awesome Hip. :)

I've got flowers on my tomato and I found a better place to put all my pots where they will get more light in the morning. The old spot has a tree hanging over it and once that thing finally leafs it will be pretty shady. Also, I'm glad I planted pansies in my flower bed. Foot of snow? No big deal, they bounce back like champs. :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have flowers AND baby peppers on my peppers (which are 3-5 feet tall, being the perennial ones I brought in last year). I can safely put them out next weekend (above 55 lows) without them being upset. I'll still give them a big hoop house though. I have no idea how I'll get these babies into the ground. They have over 2' deep soil.

Everything else is looking good. I need straw mulch- the soil dries so quickly. I am rethinking my garden plans since I might be moving for a new job soon. The peppers should still go in the soil to save on watering needs (and I'll abandon them here).

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
And last week I finished creating my teapot windchime. I saw one at the gift store when we were at Butchart Gardens last year. $200 they wanted for the thing. I said "I was an art major. I can DO this."

It's one of those old silver teapots with the feet. So I found an old beaten up one at Value Village for $10, took fishing line, and from each foot, strung matching beads and an old fork (25 cents for each fork at the thrift store, plus Michael's for the beads), a doo-dad to hang from the bottom center (also Michael's), and a kick-butt knob from Anthropologie for the top ornament. Now I just need to get some miniature chain and hang the thing.

Inquiring scavengers would LOVE to see your teapot chimes, I have a bunch of old silverplate coffee pots in the attic I could do this with, and then hang on my large front porch. :D

I could use some feedback for an outdoor wreath, using salvaged materials if anyone has some ideas.

ION hubs finished filling three raised vegetable beds with soil... if you are interested you can see his adventure here on my house blog http://www.survivalkitchen.blogspot.com/ Normally I would help him but I'm having heart issues at the present and until the doctor gets them sorted out I'm ordered to take it easy... that and I have a solo show I'm hangin tomorrow at a local coffee shop, of which I'm wayyyyyy behind on...

I'd rather be writing, no I'd rather be gardening, no I'd rather be dyeing fabric! :e2brows:

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I have flowers AND baby peppers on my peppers (which are 3-5 feet tall, being the perennial ones I brought in last year). I can safely put them out next weekend (above 55 lows) without them being upset. I'll still give them a big hoop house though. I have no idea how I'll get these babies into the ground. They have over 2' deep soil.

Everything else is looking good. I need straw mulch- the soil dries so quickly. I am rethinking my garden plans since I might be moving for a new job soon. The peppers should still go in the soil to save on watering needs (and I'll abandon them here).

will you trim the root ball before you plunk them into the ground?

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
It snowed, just a little, at my house overnight. Today, temp in mid-30s, 40MPH winds howling from the north. I managed to plant some swiss chard seeds in starter pots. Still 18 inches of snow in my yard, raised beds invisible yet in the garden.

Got about 8"-10" of snow in the last two days, more on the way tomorrow :cry:Which bumps up what's still on the ground to well over 2'...