Heads Up to Subbers, Especially SFF

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this will mean, but it can't be good, particularly given the hit already happening bc of Twitter imploding:
Amazon ending Kindle Subscription program

The pool of pro-paying markets is already small, and from what I'm seeing on Twitter, several of them (Uncanny, for one) weren't even invited to switch to the Kindle Unlimited thing.

• Sad
Reactions: Izz and Woollybear

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Wow what the fuck.

Amazon, like many other companies, are hurting right now because of people spending less money. Which means that they want to 1: increase/maintain revenue wherever possible and 2: cut costs. I can see how turning off the servers for the sub program will save costs...but that is really gonna diminish their revenue. Or do they project so many people are going to drop their subs that this makes sense?

I'm struggling to come up with a business case for this besides "I am Amazon and I am evil."

Reactions: ap123 and dickson

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm struggling to come up with a business case for this besides "I am Amazon and I am evil."

My suspicion is Amazon's margins on KU are huge, and their margins on subs are not.

The business case, whether we can see it or not (and a lot of their algorithms are proprietary), is always going to be "moar money for Amazon."

Reactions: ap123

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Separately, I'm hearing a rumor or two that they (Amazon) have started asking indie authors to archive old or under-performing books. I don't understand the rationale, but it might fit with the idea of managing the merchandise for better margins.

I'm thinking of going wide, which means another learning curve.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Separately, I'm hearing a rumor or two that they (Amazon) have started asking indie authors to archive old or under-performing books. I don't understand the rationale, but it might fit with the idea of managing the merchandise for better margins.

This seems weird, since it costs them nothing but disk space.

That said, one of the books on Amazon I read recently said fully 1/3 of self-published books sell zero copies. Maybe 1/3 of their inventory would be enough to save them some money on storage?

Reactions: Woollybear

ChaseJxyz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz

To my understanding, Direct2Digital is a very good service for getting your self-published works onto all the markets. I haven't used it myself, but the people I've talked to there were very nice lol.

This seems weird, since it costs them nothing but disk space.

That said, one of the books on Amazon I read recently said fully 1/3 of self-published books sell zero copies. Maybe 1/3 of their inventory would be enough to save them some money on storage?

Kinda getting Twitter vibes, where they're making all sorts of ridiculous cuts to "save money." But by making authors take books down, that costs Amazon nothing but the time it takes to push that alert/email. If they run a report/take books down without the author's permission, that'll cause them Problems, which costs time/money.

"Renting" out dis space via AWS makes them money, even if the company isn't using that space. But a book that no one is buying isn't making anyone any money.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The archive thing could be harmless. It could be a way for prolific authors to organize their shelves. It strikes me as weird, though, that they'd reach out to suggest it to authors.

The OP issue is more troubling. If I were a SFF subber to mags, I'd be angry. I'm a little peeved anyway.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score

I can see a book that has sold zero copies (seen in responses) being considered under-performing.

If they are selling copies of their ebooks, how many is too few to be worth keeping in stock? How much does disk space cost on the scale Amazon uses a month for books that have seen sales in the past and might continue to see sales in the future?

Would that simply mean such self-publishing authors of ebooks would move to blogs, Patreon, or similar sites and email a file link for their ebooks to download to moble or desk/laptop book readers?

Or shifting over to Google Books, unless Google institutes similar policy changes.

I did not get that ezines were being affected by this in the original post. Losing electronic magazines does sound like a siginificant blow to publishing at the short story level. This is just Amazon/Amazon Kindle, correct? With Google Books unaffected for the time being.

The smaller the server farm owner, the more disk space does cost per month, but it does tend to be trivial for text files. I can see electronic magazines needing to consider if they have enough subscriptions to justify server farm costs for maintaining back issues and access while putting new issues up.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if we should split the thread. Mods?
I think Amazon provides an archiving button as a means for authors to organize their shelves. They claim it does not impact visibility. What was/is odd, to these fellow indie authors, was receiving a mail that suggested they do this with some of their titles. I mentioned it because both items came to my awareness at the same time and both feel truly capitalistic on the part of Amazon.

But definitely worse (than the minor issue of author bookshelves) is to have magazines like Clarke's World and Uncanny have subscription programs taken away by Amazon. This limits the pool of paying markets we can subscribe to. To those writers who rely on those markets, it's infuriating.

Apologies to aps for the derail.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Would that simply mean such self-publishing authors of ebooks would move to blogs, Patreon, or similar sites and email a file link for their ebooks to download to moble or desk/laptop book readers?

Or shifting over to Google Books, unless Google institutes similar policy changes.

That would kill eBooks. People buy from Amazon because that's the default on their Kindle device. There are absolutely ways to get a MOBI from a Patreon or itch.io onto a Kindle, and YOU might be able to do it, but do you think grandma can? The more friction you make in the purchasing process, the more places people will bounce and not buy anything.

Also asked my friend who is one of those furries that serves as the backbone of the internet about this. Storage is super cheap, like 1 c/GB, and an eBook is maybe 2 MB, so storing ~500 books is costing them 1 cent. Getting 1 million books deleted will save them $20/month. Or they could just....have not as good snacks in the snack closet. Get rid of the free dry cleaning. There are way easier things they could be doing to save money that ALSO does not decrease their revenue.

Reactions: lizmonster

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
But definitely worse (than the minor issue of author bookshelves) is to have magazines like Clarke's World and Uncanny have subscription programs taken away by Amazon. This limits the pool of paying markets we can subscribe to. To those writers who rely on those markets, it's infuriating.

Apologies to aps for the derail.
Infuriating, exhausting, and a healthy dose of where/how should I pivot? :cry: The bigger markets (like Asimov's) that have regular readers beyond subbers get a significant portion of their income from those subscriptions--it's what allows them to be bigger and well-paying markets.

• Hug