Hello to everyone and thanks! -

jaysonnola

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I'm jaysonnola. I've been writing stories and poetry for as long as I've been able to read and write. I've had a few things published, but mostly academic pieces. I have a PhD in Literary Studies and have therefore spent a long time dissecting works, analyzing works, and critically reviewing them. However, I have actually always wanted to write fiction. I did get some recognition for my writing back in school though that is something that I haven't really pursued as an adult . I'm a middle-aged man who thinks that the best in life is still to come. I really believe that. Literature has always been my great love and I am always reading a couple of books concurrently. My career, rather oddly, developed in an aspect quite far removed from my training as a literary scholar and I really miss being surrounded by important conversations about stories. I believe that our stories are all that remain. My favorite genres are fiction (particularly historical fiction) and the contemporary essay. I've started a novel (again) which is moving at a snail's pace. Thanks to you all for welcoming me into your world.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy to have you join us, jaysonnola. I think you'll find plenty of serious discussion of literature and books here--and a lot of other fascinating back-and-forth about all kinds of things tangentially (or not at all!) related to it.

I'll be first to ask: What's the book you just started about?

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Reactions: DangerousBrian

DangerousBrian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, good to see you here, there's plenty to read and discuss, I've found so far. Not been here long myself. I'm at the start of a novel. I did actually write one all the way through years ago, but honestly, had no idea how to structure it back then, despite that I wrote it while on a Novel writing course. But now I'm older and wiser, and have an outline! We'll see... I hope you enjoy it here.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Wait, I was supposed to get wiser? I've been cheated!)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi jaysonnola, and welcome to AW! You’ll love it here, I’m sure :)

We’ve got everything a writer, at every stage of their writing journey, needs, both in terms of resources and community.

I’m sure you’ve already carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered but please also peruse the FAQs linked to here, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will not only help make the forums less overwhelming, but will also quickly get you up to speed on the culture and etiquette of the various spaces around AW.

There’s a lot here to discover, so take as much time as you need to explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions that aren’t answered in the above resources, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in-thread or via the private conversation option (the envelope next to the bell at the top right of page) :)

Happy writing!
Izz

Bitterboots

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Jasonnola. Great bunch of people here!

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, jaysonnola! :)

See you around the board!

Norsebard