How big are your journal submission batches?

ScottyWriter

Registered
Reaction score
How many journals do you submit to simultaneously (presuming they're okay with simultaneous submissions)?

I've made a list from duotrope and, after rejecting various mags for being about a particular, incompatible theme, I've placed into 3 goals- A, B and C. A is print publication and a couple of online journals I otherwise really like the look of, B is the decent sounding online journals and C are the rest and I might not send to these at all.

I have approx. 40 in my A category. How many would do you recommend I send out in one sitting/over a few days?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How many journals do you submit to simultaneously (presuming they're okay with simultaneous submissions)?

I've made a list from duotrope and, after rejecting various mags for being about a particular, incompatible theme, I've placed into 3 goals- A, B and C. A is print publication and a couple of online journals I otherwise really like the look of, B is the decent sounding online journals and C are the rest and I might not send to these at all.

I have approx. 40 in my A category. How many would do you recommend I send out in one sitting/over a few days?
Kinda depends on their average response time?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I will tell you what I do, but I will not call it a recommendation, because it isn’t optimized or carefully thought out or anything. It’s just what I do. I start submitting at the top of my list (whatever list) and stop when I get tired of doing it. That usually means four or five submissions. Then, as the rejections trickle in, I do one (or sometimes two) new submissions for each rejection, so that I always have at least 4-6 pending at any given time.

Here is a recommendation: Just go start submitting. It’s really easy to overthink the process. There is no right or optimal way; it all depends on more factors than you can possibly account for in your process. The only guarantee is that if you don’t submit, you’re guaranteed never to get accepted.

:e2coffee:

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
5-6 in lit fic. 1 at a time in the genres, cuz there just aren't that many worth getting into. I like "one in, one out" as well, but in these days of no response at all, that's hard to do. Three months and no response, send four more: reasonable substitute.