How much to revise a novel before you query? (Split from: Too Attached to a Novel)

rservello

Registered
Reaction score
None of this is meant to put you off, @rservello. Writing is hard, and the publishing business is merciless - but for many of us, writing that first draft is by far the hardest part. Many people never get to the end point of that, so you're ahead of the game. You just want to give yourself every shot at success, which means knowing a lot more about how it all works.

But you're on the way and you've found yourself in a good place to pick up some excellent pointers.

Good luck with the next step. For me, that would be putting this draft aside for a couple of weeks, and then (since I think you started it three months ago?) coming back with a clearer eye. I wouldn't be getting readers involved just yet - save them for the complete, polished, proofed stage because a good reader is a terrible thing to waste. In the meantime, you could do a lot of reads and crits in SYW. It's not mandatory, but critting other people's work is a great way to learn.

Good luck with it. Writing is hard, but it's such a privilege.
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. I started something else and plan on revisiting this another month or so. Thanks!

rservello

Registered
Reaction score
None of this is meant to put you off, @rservello. Writing is hard, and the publishing business is merciless - but for many of us, writing that first draft is by far the hardest part. Many people never get to the end point of that, so you're ahead of the game. You just want to give yourself every shot at success, which means knowing a lot more about how it all works.

But you're on the way and you've found yourself in a good place to pick up some excellent pointers.

Good luck with the next step. For me, that would be putting this draft aside for a couple of weeks, and then (since I think you started it three months ago?) coming back with a clearer eye. I wouldn't be getting readers involved just yet - save them for the complete, polished, proofed stage because a good reader is a terrible thing to waste. In the meantime, you could do a lot of reads and crits in SYW. It's not mandatory, but critting other people's work is a great way to learn.

Good luck with it. Writing is hard, but it's such a privilege.
Oh and I don’t think it’s to discourage. I’m here to gain knowledge. I only ask because I want to know :)

wannawriteJr

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice and information on this thread!

@rservello advice here from a newbie who's also struggling with this stage. I wrote my query letter as a way to clarify my stories plot (which is a great help as well). I then set about editing the one-page query, and found so many edits, restructured, etc. It helped me see what edits my book probably needs, but it felt way less daunting because it was only a page I was restructuring, cutting, etc, not 100 pages.
Maybe try this and see if it helps you see what your writing pitfalls are.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice and information on this thread!

@rservello advice here from a newbie who's also struggling with this stage. I wrote my query letter as a way to clarify my stories plot (which is a great help as well). I then set about editing the one-page query, and found so many edits, restructured, etc. It helped me see what edits my book probably needs, but it felt way less daunting because it was only a page I was restructuring, cutting, etc, not 100 pages.
Maybe try this and see if it helps you see what your writing pitfalls are.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Ooh, yes, a lot of writers find it's easier to identify needed revisions by writing and workshopping/editing a query letter or synopsis. As you say, it's a lot less daunting!