• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need someone interested in theology for memoir dealing with Evangelical Christianity

Pragmatic Idealist

Registered
Reaction score
Grew up in Reform Judaism, at 17 formulated a pragmatic and radical empiricist world view, spent twenty years in evangelical (Biblical literalist) churches participating in everything including playing music, Bible studies, retreats, etcetera without ever becoming a member. Became close friends with several pastors and many committed "conservative" Christians.

I was already a history nut and made a specialty of western religious history while sorting through the mass of contradictions I observed. I have made various attempts to put my reasoning and conclusions in writing. This has previously been a pretty dry exercise and my current plan is to write this as a memoir with the dry stuff as a reference section at the back.

It doesn't matter what religious orientation my potential partner has, only that the person has curiosity about the Bible and all the belief systems it has sparked and is willing to discuss with an open mind, as will I. Interest in the work of William James would be a big plus.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My advice, as always, is to edit your post to add in a:
1. Link to your opening pages in Share Your Work, so folks can get an idea of your writing style/voice/level of craft as well as the subject material.
2. Link to one or more recent critiques you've written in SYW, so folks can get an idea of your critting style (in case this has the potential to be a partnership rather than a one-way relationship).

Pragmatic Idealist

Registered
Reaction score
My advice, as always, is to edit your post to add in a:
1. Link to your opening pages in Share Your Work, so folks can get an idea of your writing style/voice/level of craft as well as the subject material.
2. Link to one or more recent critiques you've written in SYW, so folks can get an idea of your critting style (in case this has the potential to be a partnership rather than a one-way relationship).
I'll get on that. Just got past fifty posts so happened to post this before putting anything in Share Your Work.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add a suggestion you narrow your focus.

This sounds like rich memoir material:
Grew up in Reform Judaism, at 17 formulated a pragmatic and radical empiricist world view, spent twenty years in evangelical (Biblical literalist) churches participating in everything including playing music, Bible studies, retreats, etcetera without ever becoming a member.
Not sure where to put "without ever becoming a member" as opposed to people who were caught up in religious cults and got out, but no matter.

However this sounds more like a person who wants to debate or chat about religious beliefs than it sounds like someone who is looking for a beta reader for a memoir:
... I have made various attempts to put my reasoning and conclusions in writing. This has previously been a pretty dry exercise and my current plan is to write this as a memoir with the dry stuff as a reference section at the back.

It doesn't matter what religious orientation my potential partner has, only that the person has curiosity about the Bible and all the belief systems it has sparked and is willing to discuss with an open mind, as will I.
Typically a beta reader is there to critique writing style and communication, more than content per se.

-

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Pragmatic Idealist

Registered
Reaction score
I'll add a suggestion you narrow your focus.

This sounds like rich memoir material:

Not sure where to put "without ever becoming a member" as opposed to people who were caught up in religious cults and got out, but no matter.

However this sounds more like a person who wants to debate or chat about religious beliefs than it sounds like someone who is looking for a beta reader for a memoir:

Typically a beta reader is there to critique writing style and communication, more than content.

-
I'm looking for someone who will challenge my reasoning as well as the quality my writing. Debating and chatting might be part of achieving that goal.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That’ll prolly be moved to the right SYW section soon, so check the link after it is

Reactions: MaeZe

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who will challenge my reasoning ....
Have you sought out critiques before looking for a beta reader? I'm in no way an expert here, I have an opinion I have developed over the years and it is limited by my limited experience. My opinion of critiquing a non-fiction piece is one stays away from getting into a debate on the content.

For example if I were critiquing a non-fiction paper on the current Republican Party I would avoid injecting my opinion on the political content. That makes it tricky because I'm very politically opinionated. I wouldn't be good at critiquing such a paper.

If that is the kind of critique partner you are looking for I suggest you get that part of your memoir resolved for the most part outside of looking for writing critique.

Maybe you have which brings me to my next, again unqualified, comment. Are you looking for critique or for a beta reader?

A critique partner is one who helps you improve your narrative and story. They are looking at developmental issues, be they craft related or story related. They will often see the manuscript while it is being written or edited and still a long way off from being publishable. Because critique partners are often looking at manuscripts that have a long way to go through the developmental editing process, they are also known as alpha readers.

The best critique partners are other writers—more specifically, writers you trust. If something is lacking within a given passage, experienced writers (and developmental editors) should be able to tell you what is not working, why it's not working, and how you could potentially improve on the situation. But exactly how to fix identified issues is entirely up to you. While a critique might have identified a problem within the story or narrative, the diagnosis of the problem may be faulty. Only you as the writer can make that judgment.

A beta reader, on the other hand, often comes in at a point when the manuscript is written and edited to the best of your ability. You need another set of eyes to help you see where certain elements of your story didn't translate to the page the way you thought it would. As such, a beta reader is often one who is reading the manuscript as a whole, providing reader feedback. If something doesn't make sense, or doesn't work for them, they should be highlighting it, but they may not be able to articulate why it didn't work.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, let me pour another cup of coffee before diving in.

PragmaticIdealist, you've shared your background and outlook but not made it clear, at least to me, what you want. It sounds like the memoir is not yet written, so we can rule out beta reader.

Are you hoping to connect with a critique partner who is also writing something about their Christian faith, spiritual world view, Bible interpretation, or philosophy in the hope of exchanging portions of manuscripts for critique?

If that's not it, I'm uncertain we're going to be able to help you. I interpret your post as seeking someone who has both the experience and education to challenge what you write, which is going to take a very specific and somewhat narrow area of expertise, without you doing the same for them. In essence, it seems you're seeking free developmental edits.

I was glad to see you posted a portion for critique and linked to it, because I suspect that's going to be the best place here at AW where you might find a fellow writer who shares your interests.

Pragmatic Idealist

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification of terms. I am indeed looking for a critique partner at this time.