Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Well, last night was a night of little sleep--and for good reason.

The neighbor house (a duplex) across the street caught fire about 3:30 this morning. Nine fire trucks showed up with sirens blaring and lights blazing. One side of the duplex is rented by an older gentleman who keeps to himself, the other by an older invalid woman and her daughter (early 20's) who takes care of her. The daughter will often stop and chat and play with the dogs. So there was much watching to make certain there were no stretchers being carried out of the house, y'know?

Turns out the fire was in the shared basement storage area. Thoughts are that it was electrical in origin and the wall separating the houses is pretty much gone because the fire got into it. No lives were harmed, but the basement is pretty much gutted. They're still waiting to see if the support beams of the house (wooden) were compromised or not. If these folks have to move out, it's going to be a royal PITA since it's a HUD rental and they don't have much to live on, so I doubt they have any renter's insurance to cover such costs.

Having been through a house fire myself (1996), I can emphasize greatly with what they're going through. Not fun, but certainly does put lots of things into perspective, y'know?

Oh no! There was an apartment fire in our area last night as well. Apparently the fire department didn't get the hot spots put out when they came out so the fire started up again and burned down the whole unit of 8 apartments. :( What was crazy was that in the middle of the night DF woke up smelling something but I didn't, when we saw the news this morning we figured it had to be that he was smelling.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a little freaky. We went out to dinner and stopped at the office supply store, and by the time we got back, the kitchen had caught fire. I put it like this, "The smoke was pouring out and the firemen were pouring in." It was very surreal, to be driving down the street and see the commotion, then suddenly realize it was MY house they were at, y'know?

Never found a place to put that into a story, but it's something that sticks in the memory.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing well, but it's 6am and it's already like 90 degrees. Ugh. Summer is here.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck for your son, Myrea.

I'm good too, expect having selection test on next Tuesday, for library studies.
(That and struggling with pollen allergy, bleh)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allergies have been bad this year already. Combine it with a spring cold and you get a particular form of nasty way to spend few days off.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Did you have fun, Myrealana?

I'll be con-hungover this Sunday. Just hoping my costume's dress actually shows the hell up today. Amazon said "delivered" on Saturday but it certainly wasn't delivered anywhere on my property. :(

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My dress showed up! Now just to wait on the shoes and stockings, which should arrive today. And hope the shoes fit because I have, like, three days to break them in for a day of con-walking.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Had a really good time. Next year, I'm bringing the kid and doing a costume.

Though, in spite of not having a costume, we did draw a few photo ops. My husband and I wore matching T-shirts that say "Never been kissed by Captain Jack Harkness." People would see one, chuckle, then see the other one, and laugh out loud.

Next year, I'm thinking a Green Lantern inspired 50's style dress, because he wants to be Steam Lantern.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Haha, nice on the shirts and next year's Lanterns!

Kids' costumes are always the best part of a con to me. There's nothing like a little munchkin in a geeky costume. Last year at this one this weekend, there was a teeny tiny Thor beside us when a Loki walked by. The kid yelled, "LOKI!" and took off after him. The Loki totally played it up too and went running, just a little ways, not so far that Thor's dad couldn't keep up.

Year before that, this happened at a friend's booth. She'd hidden behind her daddy when Darth Revan showed up, but while we were talking to him and getting pictures, I noticed a green glow toddle out from behind the booth. Bravely bonked him right on the head.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

afirewrk_zps0c3be7e0.png

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
I wish rain and thunder would come. Here's warm again. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.