OctNoWriMo 2014!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do any writing yesterday, but today was fairly productive. Met one of my goals for the month - hooray for me!

Current WIP word count: 80,361 out of 90,000
Books read: 2 out of 4
Blog posts: 2 out of 2 (COMPLETED)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Go go go everyone!

Apart from the read-n-quote this morning, and attending class, I haven't done anything much. Oh, but I did talk to my tutor and I now have 1 of 3 referees for my resume, when I finish this semester and start looking for work. As I haven't worked during this degree, I'm relying on academic references.

I'll have to try getting the other 2 on Wednesday.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Goal updates:

1 -- Decided to change one of my POV from 1st person present to 3rd person past. OMG. Not fun. First 13,000 words updated thus far. I'm working mostly on grammar changes, but I ended up having to complete scrap and rewrite a scene tonight so that it fits the book better.

2 -- Wrote three reviews by hand. Published one of them to Goodreads. The other two still working on.

3 -- I can't settle down one concrete idea for Nano. I'm not even sure I want to do Nano, since it's essential that I finish revisions. Then again, maybe taking a break from revisions might grant me less bias revising.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Written - well, scrawled - the first pen and paper draft of the synopsis for the 22k word story. Comes to around a thousand words, which is what I aimed at.

Meanwhile lots of outlining for the NaNo novel over the weekend.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I'm jealous of those planning for NaNo. It just doesn't fit into my schedule this year. :cry:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
*crawls pathetically into thread*

• Finish editing the current MS
  • Complete ComiCon costumes Welp, I wasn't naked any of the days?
  • Write two blog posts looking ahead to ComiCon total fail.
  • Find betas, and send MS out to them
  • Hold regional Nanowrimo planning events
  • Plan my Nano novel
  • Make Nanowrimo gift bags/info packets
  • Read books for nano-research
Time to shift gears from NY Comicon to Nano. I need to get my edits done before new-nano starts. So hectic. Hi folks, I missed you all!

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm done revisions on the first 25% of my novel. I asked my husband, who doesn't read much, to check out a random revised page in my book. Just tell me what he thinks. He says "there's an extra 'the' here". Damn. First page he looks at and he finds a typo.

Looks like there's going to be another round of revisions after this one. /sigh.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I listened to last week's missed lecture for sociology, and managed to get some great notes on how to proceed with my literature review, beyond the whole "read, read, read" aspect. Unfortunately, I was heading in *slightly* the wrong direction. Ack! So I looked over some class handouts, figured out some new ideas to think about, and then found 2 readings to add to my list, which will hopefully bring my lengthy discussion of women's rights in contemporary Australia back into line with what we've actually been discussing in class. (It's a sociology of law topic, so women's rights is a valid research topic - but we haven't touched on a whole lot of this stuff, and now I have 2 readings that will hopefully underpin my write-up with references to a critical theorist we HAVE discussed in class...)

Anyway, I now have 2 extra readings. So I'm sitting at 12 done, 9 to go. Still over halfway, but erk... More reading on the horizon. However, it was worth it, because I'm now feeling a lot more confident about this assignment. Even though I'm less confident about my time management skills... :tongue

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
An update for my goals for this month.

Finish the first draft of WIP2 chapter book.
Edit WIP1 chapter book.
Edit WIP2 chapter book.
Answer interview questions for the book tour for "Drowning in Fear".
Set up the guest posts for the book tour for "Drowning in Fear".
Answer interview questions for the book tour for "The Soul Thief".
Set up guest posts for the book tour for "The Soul Thief".
Edit the first book in the Allegro Academy trilogy (I doubt I'll make it to the end, but I want to get through the first five chapters at least).
Finish writing the first draft of Ghostslayer OR Demonic Pact (two WIPs)
Set up all reviews on my book review blog for the month October (I have a calendar and schedule, and I still need to read a few)
Finish edits for two clients (paranormal romance and middle grade fantasy). One client edit done: still working on the MG Fantasy
Write at least two blog posts a week.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just did 1 of the 2 extra readings I found last night. OMG, such crappy writing! It was a real struggle to actually figure out what the author was saying. Anyway, that's done now at least.

13 readings done, 8 to go.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Again, didn't get much written yesterday but today wasn't bad. My problem is that I know there are things earlier in the MS that I want to change, and I'm having to fight the urge to go back and change them instead of moving forward. I'm spending far too much time re-reading earlier chapters instead of writing. FORWARD YOU FOOL, FORWARD!

Current WIP word count: 81,131 out of 90,000

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Been too busy to do any writing and it's stressing me out. Also, I need to find another alpha. My current alpha is fabulous, but it's just one person. I'd like to have to have more opinions.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Novella synopsis edited. Now awaiting beta to come back about that story, so it's on the backburner, while I concentrate on NaNoWriMo planning.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I'm so giddy right now! I've FINALLY figured out a solid plot for this story that I've been having such a hard time with. And it's such a simple solution too! AND it provides a twist AND climax. It's just checking off all the boxes! happy happy

Of course, I don't have time to work on it now, but at least now I can make good strides since I finally have a solid direction to take the story.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I'm so giddy right now! I've FINALLY figured out a solid plot for this story that I've been having such a hard time with. And it's such a simple solution too! AND it provides a twist AND climax. It's just checking off all the boxes! happy happy

Of course, I don't have time to work on it now, but at least now I can make good strides since I finally have a solid direction to take the story.

Breakthrough! Congratulations!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I'm so giddy right now! I've FINALLY figured out a solid plot for this story that I've been having such a hard time with.

:hooray:

I'm done with my revision on paper. That's exciting. I still have one scene to write, but I'm hoping to have all the changes applied by the end of today. I have surprise travel for work, so things are a smidge chaotic... :crazy:

ETA - all changes applied! wheee. Means one scene to write and I'm ready to send this puppy to beta! ... oh gosh, that's scary.

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca

Yay! :partyguy: That is always a fun moment :)

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I've just hit the 100 page, 30,000 word mark on my WIP :D

Well chuffed and on schedule to hit 40,000 by the end of October!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In between making tomato sauce, turkey stock and dehydrating tomatoes today, I somehow managed to write nearly 1k words. And having written them, I'm pretty sure the whole mess needs to go later in the book. Like five or six scenes later. ARRRRR...

Current WIP word count: 82,064 out of 90,000

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just read about 45-50 pages for Life Writing for next week. I was intending to do some more of my literature review readings, but I just could not work up the enthusiasm, so I compromised. Might try to get 1 lit review reading done in a moment, though. I'm falling behind again on that score, so yeah, need to do it even if I really don't feel like it.

ETA: 20 pager read-n-quoted for the literature review. So about 70 pages for the day, and that's all I'm doing. I still have to wash a gazillion dishes, and I'd like to have that done before dinner, and after dinner is relaxation time (or else I'd go completely bonkers).

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everybody for joining in my moment of happiness. :D Now I just need a job for my MCs to do. I tried writing around it, but I think it needs something more concrete. I would think something like marketing, but I have absolutely no idea what goes on in that. And I can't use my own because it requires a license, but one of the characters is just starting out. Hmmm....

Last edited: