Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
A social networking/marketing professional on my committee helped make my blog pretty for the price of making her dinner. She said wordpress is the easiest for blogging.

A blog suits my talkative, oversharing nature well. I am still trying to find a niche. I wish I were more informative in my posts. Maybe I should work on that. You know, when I am less distracted.

I get stuck at all word counts and just wish I could write a long, rambling tale. I will finish up a third revision of a middle grade story tonight. It is about 25,000 words. That seems slight. I think I have the story down, now I need to slow. it. down.

Lucky that it is summer. I tend to read/study children's literature during the summer.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I try to blog twice a week, although sometimes I can't think of anything to say and have to force it. Wordpress has been wonderful. I tried Blogspot once and didn't like it that much.

My writing goal for the day is to finish the chapter I'm working on and write a new one. That's about 3500 words. I've been too busy to write the last few days so I've made no progress.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
The only reason I am w/blogspot was I used it to journal during my time studying abroad so I already had an account there. Since it was mostly family reading that blog (lol there were a lot of shout outs to, like..."Happy anniversary Mom&Dad" :roll:) I decided to create a new blog on Blogspot, and I already knew how to use the website. :Shrug:

Also :hi: Looks can be deceiving today..:tongue It's sunny outside but 70 degrees(brrr in my opinion).

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I signed up with blogspot only because it was the first one I remembered when I decided to blog.

Some parts of it are frustrating (why is it so hard to follow someone!), but I like it overall.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Smiley. :D

Also, I'm going to write how I usually write and see if I can hit 20K by the time I go to bed on Sunday. I think I can do that. :D

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Some parts of it are frustrating (why is it so hard to follow someone!), but I like it overall.

Grrrrrrr! I know! I hate having to search for the button. Then, when I do follow someone, I never get alerts that let me know when they post, so what's the point in following? Wordpress sends me an email and all the blogs I follow are listed on a tidy little menu for me. I can't figure that out in blogspot.

I PASSED EVERYTHING!!!!

Yay lisa!!!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Lisa!!!!!!!! Now enjoy your break!

Smiley, I hear a lot of people say they love word press, but i'm like you and already so used to blogspot that i can't be bothered to change. it's too hard for me to learn new tech stuff ;)

JB, i checked out your blog. looks good so far. was trying to read the post you had and was like WTH is this? So, umm...WTH was that? LOL

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I knew how long I had until I got to the exciting bit. I don't because I don't know how long each chapter or individual scene is going to be.

Also, I hate having my period.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
JB, i checked out your blog. looks good so far. was trying to read the post you had and was like WTH is this? So, umm...WTH was that? LOL

It's a very strange take on lorem ipsum. :) Lorem gypsum? (Like the salt because it has food? I like puns!)

I, too, use blogger mainly because I discovered many agencies and other writers were on blogger. So that way when I leave a comment on a blog, it's easy for the person to click on my picture and track back to my blog if they liked my comment.

Of course, it's been a nightmare getting some parts of blogger customized. I build websites on Wordpress, and I've been annoyed at some of the stuff I've had to hand-code on blogger. (Especially since I know just enough about web design to get myself in trouble, but not enough to get myself out.)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, okay. Never heard of that before. All I know is I started going cross-eyes while reading it. I was trying so hard to make sense of it and was like, am I a moron? Is this English? And then I was like, no. No way this is supposed to actually make sense. LOL I is not dumb. ;)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Heehee, glad you guys like the ipsum :ROFL:

OK, got the comments section looking decent, and worked a bit on sidebars. Next up is whipping up some social networking buttons (facebook, twitter, rss, etc.), but that will have to wait, because we're goin' to the bounce house today!!!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I suck at blogging. I'll be good for a few months, then months will go by with nothing (like right now).

The choir thing went so well, guys!

Really big pluses: It seems like an energetic and friendly group; they gave me a mini-audition to figure out what I sing (it's barbershop, so they put me in Lead, which is probably perfect for me as it's the high middle (I'm a second soprano)--the last choir I tried to join assigned parts based on...senoirity. No no no no no. This was very refreshing after that); they let me sing with them(!), and since Lead sings melody and I had music in front of me, it was easy to pick up the songs (one was a Beach Boys medley, so really I already knew it); it's more of a show choir than I'm used to, which is Glee-like :D; I get to go to five rehearsals before they even ask if I actually want to join so I can get a feel for them.

Some concerns I have: there are dues, and I'm not sure I can justify them (it's about the same as my gym membership); I'm not sure barbershop is the best for me; I'm checking them out at an awkward time because they're not rehearsing again for three weeks; even within the big organization the choir belongs to, this one is not the best in Columbus (one that wasn't rehearsing today came in 4th in the organization's international competition).

Re: barbershop. I love male barbershop quartets, and what I've heard of female barbershop choirs (uh, yesterday) sounds great, but something about female barbershop quartets sounds off to me, and I wonder if I'll pick up on the same things over time when I get more used to listening to all four parts in the choir (as I eventually do). But, also, the whole point of me finding a choir was realizing that my voice is best when I'm doing classical singing (echoed a little by the girl who did my audition and complimented me on my voice's color :D, then said I'd have to pull it back a little), so perhaps I should go to the more classical choir I know about. They don't rehearse until September, which is too far outside of when my five rehearsals would be with the barbershop choir. Of course, they all meet on the same day at the same time, lol.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm still around. Just been super busy. I'll try and post when time allows!

Mellymel! Your list of words to not use is EXTREMELY useful. Wish I could paste it onto my lap-top!

I've been intimidated to begin my blog. I'm still trying to get my feet under me before I rush into something embarrassing.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I think my charger is broken or something. Put it on my lap - my laptop charges. Take it, no charging.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible for parts of laptop chargers to become loose or something? It's working at the moment, but the bit that connects to the laptop needs a bit of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.