Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh. Didn't know I had to do anything for a book release, other than throw a party;)

Guess I'll ask about when I actually get a book release date.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I assumed there were some things that she was under the gun for. I was just trying to help :/

Oh I know, I'm just saying, some things cannot be changed - I'm finding that out myself as I go.

And then when the promotional stuff isn't there until later -- it's like 'ah, what do I do now?'. :Wha:

:D

I'm trying to be prepared for the changes that come my way - and doing a bunch of research on this stuff. ;)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
It's fun to know what happens :) It makes me more excited for when I'm finally there.

Today I pulled out my first novel. I finished it in May and pretty much decided to trunk it. But it's not as bad as I thought. I think I might try to save it. It'll be a lot of work, but it might be worth it :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I know! I'm trying to calm myself down. It's just a pre-release, which means it's limited to my publisher's site, but still....

I freelance for an epublisher, and I line-edited one of your novels! It's a small world. :D

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Man. I disappear for five days and all kinds of HEY breaks loose around here.

Congrats ladies on all the great news ('cept for you, Smiley, with the stomach flu! But, trust me, good news awaits you soon. I can just feel it coming from a long line of fortune-tellers).

E-publishing? The wave of the future. Unless you're a best-selling author, it's REALLY hard to break into it right now. I know some of y'all have done it. More power to you. But, I think on-line pubbing is the paperback market of yesteryear.

Having said that, being published with an e-publisher takes a lot of self-promotion as well. I know, right? SELF-EFFIN'-PROMOTION is the only thing I hate more than revisions. I'd love to turn it all over to some hapless "intern" or something so I could create, create, CREATE (that's why we all got into it, yeah?). Sadly, it's not gonna' happen.

Erotica? Where the money is? I'd do it. But, everyone knows sex is illegal (and EVIL) in Kansas. And you're supposed to write about what you know.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Kansas, how have you been? How is TEX going?

:ROFL: at all your comments ;)

I would love for good news to come at me. Maybe for my revisions to finish themselves, an agent to rep me, and OH!! To get a job! I would love a job. (My life is filed under "Recent college graduate, the economy is suckage")

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley!

Hang in there!

Here's the deal. I started writing at, what? The age of 49! I'm a'gonna' get published in January.

You're a recent college grad. Damn, girl, you've got time. You're gonna' do it. You know it, I know it, the board knows it.

You've the drive. What all us writers need. So. Until you get pubbed (just around the corner, I think), hone those skills! Strive to learn and improve. I know I need to. I'm constantly envious of other writers. And I'm never going to stop trying to improve, because it's impossible not to.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I freelance for an epublisher, and I line-edited one of your novels! It's a small world. :D

Okay, now that's just cool :) Hopefully it wasn't too too bad. I love Amy though :)

And thank you P. Dragon. The way TEB works is that there's the pre-release (on Monday) which they handle for the most part, then the general release (amazon, b&n etc) next month that I really have to worry about.

Still, there were things I had to update before Monday. Things like making a Yahoo group, sending revisions to my TEB profile to the head of marketing and such like that. On Monday, I'll have to update my site and my blog to reflect the early release.

Small things, but still stressful.

Thank you all for the wonderful support. Edited book #8 today and it's with betas.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm never going to stop trying to improve, because it's impossible not to.

This. So many times, this.

No matter how good or how experienced you may become, we always strive to improve. I think that's what makes it exciting. With every book you have to write, you face new challenges, new characters and new dilemmas.

It's what keeps things fresh and enjoyable, even after it becomes a livelihood or our job. (or so I hope)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Preach it, Ms. Lark!

You know, I just turned 51.

Now, you'd think I'd be the wizened, elderly statesperson for the board. Truthfully? It's quite obvious I'm the most juvenile one here. That's why I'm writing YA. I guess.

But, I'm greener than anyone here. I'm learning from you gals. Every time I'm here, I gather something valuable. Keep up the good work and keep the faith goin'!

Now, if you want to talk about aching bones or "being regular," I'm your go-to guy!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley!

Hang in there!

Here's the deal. I started writing at, what? The age of 49! I'm a'gonna' get published in January.

You're a recent college grad. Damn, girl, you've got time. You're gonna' do it. You know it, I know it, the board knows it.

You've the drive. What all us writers need. So. Until you get pubbed (just around the corner, I think), hone those skills! Strive to learn and improve. I know I need to. I'm constantly envious of other writers. And I'm never going to stop trying to improve, because it's impossible not to.

Thank you. Seriously.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
No problem, Smiley. I've a good feeling about you. You'll do well.

Submit to Muse-It-Up when you're ready. They're fairly awesome and take chances on new writers.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Wait a minute. Kansas, you started writing two years ago? You wrote a book, polished it and got it published in TWO YEARS?

Holy cow! That is pretty awesome.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Justbishop! How ya' doin', gal? Go for MUI! From what you've said about your work, I'm thinking they'll go for it. I know I want to read it. Sounds cool.

p.s., I don't want the board to think I'm a "softie." I've an image to maintain. I'm a muy macho wise-ass. If you women disagree with that assessment, then I'm going to send my wife out to kick your behinds. I'm just sayin' (cowering).

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
It's the truth, J.K. I'm not braggin' (cause it sure as hell ain't polished), but let this be a precautionary tale to everyone.

If an idiot 50-year-old Kansan can do it, everyone can.

Go, gals, go!

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
There's a darling older woman at Total-e-Bound. She's over 70 and has written 105 novels. She's an inspiration, that's for sure :)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Wait a minute. Kansas, you started writing two years ago? You wrote a book, polished it and got it published in TWO YEARS?

Holy cow! That is pretty awesome.

This is year 4 - since I originally subbed this book/series in a third person form. He's got me beat, but I'm surprise by 4. :)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
I got lucky, you guys, that's all. And, um, I was accepted on my very first submission. I still think they made a mistake (but I won't tell if you don't).

The good news is I finished six manuscripts over the past two years. The bad news is I've learned a lot since then and now have to rewrite every last one of 'em!

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Stuck In Kansas,

Thank you. You're an inspiration to me. I'm not too far from your age, still trying to finish my first draft. Actually, it's the third novel I've tried to finish. I've come close to quitting so many times, especially this year. With all the the real life crap and essentially no time or energy by the end of the day, I wonder why not just give it up? It would be so much easier, lol! But I can't.

It's nice to know that someone else around my age went for it and is getting published. Even though I don't post a lot, I love reading this thread and reading about everyone's progress. You guys inspire me to keep going!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, Kansas, you wrote and sold a book within 2 years? WOW. That is incredible. I am just...in awe. Congrats. That's hard stuff.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
SIK, you're pretty awesome!

So no news on IaPT, but...

Yesterday I sent out a couple of TM queries. My first response? A full request! :hooray:

Going to add a detail I thought of yesterday, send it off, then go for a run. But when I get back, it's going to be a query day.

Status
Not open for further replies.