• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

One of those 'Can I do this?' questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what does shameless channelling mean?

Like a medium channels the spirits of the dead to convey a message from the otherside. A writer can be accused of the same, using a character as a channel for their own message.

csdemel

Registered
Reaction score
Like a medium channels the spirits of the dead to convey a message from the otherside. A writer can be accused of the same, using a character as a channel for their own message.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You can, but probably shouldn't. Like GothicAngel said, he was famous around that time, known and loved. It would probably derail the story and serve no real purpose (or be a 'fun' detour.) and just be a digression.

If you feel you absolutely must have it, maybe mention Saville, have him in the vicinity, but have someone call him away to set or something so the opportunity passes by?

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I read a lot of books - a couple a week - and I've come across many references to real people, living and deceased. I find them in mysteries, thrillers, crime stories, literary fiction, etc.

As for 'dating' a story. As soon as we put words to print, our story is dated. Even if it's set rightnowintheverypresent, it's not going to be published for several months - to over a year. Thus, the story is dated or behind the times by at least a year.

I never have seen what's wrong with a story set in a certain time period, whether it be 1980. 1999 or 2012. Every time period, even in an individual year, has its 'latest technology' and 'hottest new song' and 'current event' that everyone is talking about, using, wants to use, etc., etc.

It's almost impossible not to write something which is not 'dated.'

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
You are talking about a time traveler right? To me, I would think time traveling trumps the whole, date your work thing. Since going to different times and showing the reader different periods is kind of part of the point.

I don't see why not. Johnny Rotten spoke about killing Jimmy Savile in 1978. And other people were aware of what he was doing. But I'd be prepared for him to punch you back. He was a fit, healthy man.

Do you remember how Rotten said it? I would imagine something like: He's a bloody wanker don't ya think? I say we just kill the bloke and be bloody done with it. That's a wonderful little bit of get whats comin to ya now isn't it? :D

Kakko

Registered
Reaction score
The trouble with pop culture references is that they age your work. They're also often geographically limited. I'd bet most folks in the US have no idea who Jimmy Savile was.

In that case can they harm your work's overall potential?

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
On rumination of the matter I conclude that i don't want to add to this guy's notoriety so won't have any such scene.

Have to say though. I really don't share the concerns of some about a piece being dated or geographically specific. I write in the now and hope to be read in the soon. It would be awesome if something I wrote was in print long enough to be condideted dated.

I remember back when spiderman was released with the twin towers erased from the skyline. There was uproar on forums but the reasoning was sound
The wtc in every shot would have placed the movie distinctly in the pre 911 world. That kind of dating you just can't mitigate. But the little stuff. I don't sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.