Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From my present WIP:

Sullore never thought he'd resent watching the moon rise. He could see its ascent clearly through the opening in the cave wall. Its fullness washed over the distant hills, making the taunting freedom all the more dream-like.

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
First three sentences, NP. No cheating! :wag:

Haha, oh dear, my apologies. Sentences redacted for proper length! *slaps self on wrist* :tongue

From my present WIP:

Sullore never thought he'd resent watching the moon rise. He could see its ascent clearly through the opening in the cave wall. Its fullness washed over the distant hills, making the taunting freedom all the more dream-like.

This is cool, and I like how it's written, but I immediately think "This dude must be a vampire." Is that correct?

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, no. He's a serial killer facing execution. (And, yes, he is a protagonist.)

Ah nice, I like that much better than a vampire. I guess I jumped to it because of the cave instead of a prison cell. And my brain read "sun" rather than "moon." Sorry. Now I feel dumb. Stupid brain.

Last edited:

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
From my present WIP:

I like this. Good visual without being overdone.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, I posted to SYW and I realized a complete rewrite was in order. Here's my new opening:

The girl undressing in front of Adel was twenty-one, beautiful, talented and would be dead in five minutes. He watched her now in the same fashion he had all week; his eyes grazed over her delicate movements, not in lust, but in study. The general public called it stalking, but in his profession, it was considered reconnaissance.

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
My current WIP:

It had been 2,920 days since Boy 1124562 had been animated. The scrolling sign posted outside of his cube counted each day of his life along with the others in his pod, showing statistics of weight and height almost identical to one another. Only 35 of those days had been spent here at the Career Aptitude Testing Compound.

link_389

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP first line:

The mother held a child in one hand, and a knife in the other.

Her body ached as she ran, her legs already sore from the unborn child living within her. Her stomach was large enough to warrant walking only, but she had to protect herself, and her children, unborn and otherwise.

ZaWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Like most births, Abigail’s entry into the world was an uncomfortable and prolonged affair. What separated hers from those whose narration does not include such details, was the duration of delivery; a labour whose beginnings preceded conception by a span of months.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
It had been 2,920 days since Boy 1124562 had been animated. The scrolling sign posted outside of his cube counted each day of his life along with the others in his pod, showing statistics of weight and height almost identical to one another. Only 35 of those days had been spent here at the Career Aptitude Testing Compound.

This is very interesting and certainly grabs my attention. It's a little hard to follow for a couple reasons.

There are sooo many numbers in these first few sentences and it's too distracting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's grammatically correct if you type out the numbers (ie: two thousand nine hundred and twenty instead of 2,920). I think you can get away with Boy 1124562 because it's his title, but I'm not a pro. I'm gonna let someone else with more knowledge give their input on that one.

Anyway, back to the numbers. I find these numbers really distracting. I can't really tell you why they're so distracting, but they pull me away from the important stuff.

The other reason it's confusing is because I have NO idea what's going on. Just remember, when you say things like "The scrolling sign posted outside his cube...along with others in the pod...the Career Aptitude Testing Compound" this is all new information to the reader. I'm so confused with the cubes and the pods that I'm spending my time trying to sort out this new world instead of pay attention to the important stuff.

I understand that you only get three sentences, and I would hope that in the next few paragraphs things get explained in more detail. You've confused me to an interesting degree, because I would rather like to keep reading. So I guess that means your hook worked. :) Overall this is very interesting and unique.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score

Her body ached as she ran, her legs already sore from the unborn child living within her. Her stomach was large enough to warrant walking only, but she had to protect herself, and her children, unborn and otherwise.
Goodness! Action, action, action! I love it!

I thought the first sentence was a little strange. A mother can't technically hold a child in her hand unless it's Thumbelina. She can hold a child in her arm. Or perhaps you mean she was holding the child's hand? Either way, the sentence reads strangely to me. I also think it might help smooth things out if you say, "the mother held her child...". When you say the mother held a child, it doesn't necessarily have to be her own.

You also used the word child/children three times. Maybe it's time to find a different word or rephrase a few sentences. Maybe this? "...her legs already sore from the pregnancy."

I love action openers. Good job. :D

Last edited:

nshadow

Registered
Reaction score
First Three Sentences

I stumbled down the heavily stained carpeted stairs to rejoin the party, the hip-hop music attacking my ears mercilessly as I waded through the multitude of fraternity brothers and sisters. I scanned the crowded room for someone I recognized but all I found were drunken polo shirts and jeans standing around makeshift tables playing beer pong. What I was doing there, where were my balls, who took them and when?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Like most births, Abigail’s entry into the world was an uncomfortable and prolonged affair. What separated hers from those whose narration does not include such details, was the duration of delivery; a labour whose beginnings preceded conception by a span of months.

I'll be frank with you. This doesn't make me want to keep reading. I think it's the way you phrased your sentences. There's a lot of filler for my taste and it seems to drag on before we finally get to the point of Abigail's unusual delivery. The unusual birth is watered down by the comparisons to normal birth. You don't need to establish that all births are uncomfortable and prolonged. We already know that. I would start with the differences, not the similarities of Abigail's birth.

Aside from that, I can tell you're a talented writer and you've got a nice, unique voice. If you spruced up the content, I would continue reading because I like your style. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We seem to have a theme running on this page, don't we? ;)

The girl undressing in front of Adel was twenty-one, beautiful, talented and would be dead in five minutes. He watched her now in the same fashion he had all week; his eyes grazed over her delicate movements, not in lust, but in study. The general public called it stalking, but in his profession, it was considered reconnaissance.

Not bad, though I wonder if it would have more punch if you put in the use of binoculars or something, to add some extra weight to that last line (which I like, FWIW). As it starts, I'm thinking they're lovers and in the same room. The third sentence comes as too much of a surprise to me.

This doesn't quite work for me because I'm immediately trying to convert the 2,920 days into how many years/months and distracted from what else you have to say. And then I'm wondering if 8ish (am I right?) is old enough to be doing any kind of career aptitude testing.

Sorry, but I got confused by your first sentence and it didn't get any better. Maybe it's because I'm literal, but--how big is her hand that she can hold a child in it? Or is the child Thumblina?

I can see you're trying to dramatize the danger they're in, but you might want to rethink how you're doing it.

OK, that last sentence would keep me reading.

I stumbled down the heavily stained carpeted stairs to rejoin the party, the hip-hop music attacking my ears mercilessly as I waded through the multitude of fraternity brothers and sisters. I scanned the crowded room for someone I recognized but all I found were drunken polo shirts and jeans standing around makeshift tables playing beer pong. What I was doing there, where were my balls, who took them and when?

You have a nice voice in this little bit, though I found the last sentence a bit awkward. Even with that, I'd probably still read a bit more.

[FONT=&quot]Chi was straining, pushing with everything she had. It felt like she was about to be ripped in two. Beside her, three nurse-maids washed the sweat from her forehead, held her hand and waited for the big arrival[/FONT]

Sorry, I have to ask--have you ever had a baby? It really reads like a default that someone who's never experienced it writes. I've had two kids (no drugs) and that's so totally not how it felt. What you have alienates me as a reader, sorry.

(If you really want to know what it feels like to have a baby, it feels like trying to poop a watermelon. Seriously.)

And how big is her forehead that it takes three people to wipe the sweat from it?

IronDragon

Normal isn’t a virtue
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been wrestling with a nasty case of writer’s block so I decided to pull out an old work to play with in hopes of getting back in the groove. --

So, where do you want to start? The time Elroy pulled a knife at the mission or when they found what was left of Little Ricky’s girl in a dumpster? Either is good, or I can just start at the beginning.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, where do you want to start? The time Elroy pulled a knife at the mission or when they found what was left of Little Ricky’s girl in a dumpster? Either is good, or I can just start at the beginning.

I'd keep reading. Keep writing.

He lived with nothing, not even a name. The strange men promised the boy food and shelter, but they lied -- as they always did -- and tossed him into the fighting pits with another boy his age. They told them to fight and whether they lived or died depended on how bloody their hands got.

He vowed never to trust anyone again.

I've read this over several times, but the only reaction I've got is--"So?"

I think that you're attempting to set up a situation where the boy is a victim to get me to root for him. It's not working because you're not giving me anything about the boy's strengths. He's in this horrible situation, betrayed, and what does he do? Decides he's not going to trust anyone again. No hint on how he's going to handle the situation, how he feels about maybe having to kill or be killed, nothing that defines him as an individual (regardless of whether or not he has name).

Others may feel differently, but I don't see that as a strength, so I'm not interested in reading further. Sorry.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Thanks for the crit Deleyan. No I haven't had a baby. Unable to. My sis said it felt like her parts were being ripped apart. She didn't have meds either. If you have a better analogy I'm open to it.

I have a question: would it be wrong or bad to start the story with the anatg's POV? Just a few sentences.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question: would it be wrong or bad to start the story with the anatg's POV? Just a few sentences.

I've seen the first scene/chapter with the antag done in many books. It just has to be clear in the subtext that this isn't your protag so the reader doesn't get confused.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
from my just started novel, tentatively titled China Tour:

Roger and Sandra Brownwell stood on the deck of the Star Ferry, backs mostly to each other, their children playing nearby and oblivious to what was going on. Roger faced the stern, towards Kowloon, looking at the debris in the water churned up by the typhoon that had hit the day before their arrival. Sandra faced forward, toward Hong Kong, looking only at the island, and scowling frequently.

William K Elliott

The voices tell me what to write.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's mine:

[FONT=&quot]Chi was straining, pushing with everything she had. It felt like she was about to be ripped in two. Beside her, three nurse-maids washed the sweat from her forehead, held her hand and waited for the big arrival[/FONT]

I'd leave the part about the people near her for the next paragraph. Make the opening about Chi, and Chi only.

Thanks for the crit Deleyan. No I haven't had a baby. Unable to. My sis said it felt like her parts were being ripped apart. She didn't have meds either. If you have a better analogy I'm open to it.

My thoughts... worth every penny you paid for them! LOL

[FONT=&quot]
Chi strained, pushed with every bit of strength she could muster. She could push no more, there was no more left in her. But the sharp pains of labor drove her on, determined to bring this child into the world or die in the attempt. Chi bore down again, she would not die.
[/FONT]
elindsen said:

No, not necessarily wrong. Many crime novels lead with the antagonist, but it's usually the first chapter, and not just a few lines.

Bill

William K Elliott

Registered
Reaction score
Finally done I do believe!

It was supposed to have been a peace offering. But after the forty-minute trip to Townsend listening to something Elizabeth Barons called “the Blues,” Roy was beginning to think it was really a ploy to kill him. Obviously, the method was torture.

Bill

William K Elliott

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been wrestling with a nasty case of writer’s block so I decided to pull out an old work to play with in hopes of getting back in the groove. --

I like it...

My .02:

So, where do you want to start? The time Elroy pulled a knife at the mission? The mutilated remains of Little Ricky’s girl they found in a dumpster? When they found Elroy naked in the barn with Diane's 14 year old niece? There are a few dozen good stories I could tell--but it's probably best if I just start at the beginning.

Obviously, I made up the part about the niece, but I think there should be three potential stories the protagonist could tell. Most things work better in threes. Also, making each "story" a sentence in its own right makes them more important. It gives them more force, and that grabs the reader's attention better.

Good stuff!

Bill

Reaction score
Website
www.thefaithpoliticsbaseballblog.com
Here's the opening paragraph from my Military science fiction novel I recently started actually writing. The title of the novel is The Waiting Inferno.

"Who doesn't want peace? Many would say everyone wants peace, but this gathering of Golda Government officials would belie that fact. Peace at what price though is how they would counter. They were there for one purpose: to see that justice is served and to stop the peace deal with the Humans. It was not a government sanctioned gathering, and the First Minister of the Golda knew nothing about it, as they had intended."

A. M. Howard

Registered
Reaction score
The day I found Tugor I learned three things: Grass can talk, the sun can frown and there is life on other planets. Let me explain. My name is Kathleena Ann McLaughlin, and I am one half of the Akearman Star legend. But the day I found Tugor, I was just an average seventeen year old that happened to take a nap in Science class.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.