Relationship with parents

bethrodgersauthor

Registered
Reaction score
My main character gets along well with her parents. However, they don't always understand her and her needs, and this frustrates her, but she doesn't say much about it. This is especially true of her father, who kind of wants to stay in the dark about the fact that his daughter is now in high school and growing up. When she does get frustrated, it's mostly in her journal when she writes down her thoughts. My other characters get along with their parents pretty well too. One mother is a helicopter mom, so she's always around, even in the lives of the other kids. I had a good relationship with my parents growing up, so I don't see any issue with the fact that kids can get along with their parents.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I have a group of surrogate parent-scientists handling bio-engineered children. Each one is assigned to each kid when they're brought into the facility (re: kidnapping and experimentaation) but most have spent a decade with their charge. Each pairing has a different dynamic, but the one I focus on most is with my MC and her guardian, who she does call Father.

She's constantly pushing herself to meet the expectations set by him and to excel in her training, but she's always falling short. And despite the whole "You're not my flesh and blood, we kidnapped you" thing, they do have a somewhat conventional Father/Daughter relationship... at times.

Parataxis

Obsessive Plotting Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
Your Set-up, OP, seems fairly believable to me--especially given the isolation you mentioned. I have a similar set up in my book in that my main character is close with her family partially due to isolation from her peers (because she has super powers), but it is important to note that having a good relationship with your family does not mean that you get along all the time. One thing I think you might be missing is some sort of external safety valve: since she lives with her family it could be difficult to only ever have them to interact with. So, for instance, my character has a few adult friends in her coworkers at her job who operate as people who the MC can talk to/vent to/get advice from outside her family,(though in plotting I refer to them as "work Mom" and "work Dad"--so maybe just outside her biological family). Your character might have a coworker, a penpal, a friend, or even a pet which fulfills this place in her life.

For a writer this sort of person can be crucial because there are sometimes things that we wouldn't say/think about around your family that must nevertheless be communicated to the plot.