Reaction score
beatings will continue until order is restored

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The arbiters have a thankless job on the whole. They are asked to maintain decorum on a heated subforum without any real power to insure that decorum happens save for the personal respect that posters have for them. It is a testament to the arbiters we do have that things have remained relatively cool for as long as they have. If an arbiter used his/her hat to dictate how threads go (i.e.--arbitrating anyone who disagrees with their POV) then the argument that there's an anti-conservative bias might hold more weight. As I've not seen any evidence of that happening, I just can't buy into it.

Deleted member 42

I don't have any problems with anyone or anything at AW. And I don't find any anti-conservative bias coming from the owner or other modly types.

You guys are gonna get this playground permanently closed. Cut it out or go someplace else.

I'm actually looking at this--roughly a year after the initial set up of the room, and mostly, while I do see rational responses in this thread, mostly I see this room causing endless problems.

I do see a bias on Mac's part--against half-thought out, poorly expressed, and unsubstantiated assertions. And it's a bias I share.

At this point, I think Mac should close this room; it's more trouble--and vicious PMs and emails and just plain whining--than the rest of AW put together.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'd hate to see the P&CE room closed - I've learned so much in there (and realized how much more I don't know when it comes to politics), and occasionally argued with others in the process. I'm neither conservative nor liberal - but a mix of the two. Certain threads I stay out of because either I'll lose my cool or because it's the same old-same old (and that I'll usually follow just to see the loop repeat - like any threads having to do with smoking - those are always fun to watch. :))

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually looking at this--roughly a year after the initial set up of the room, and mostly, while I do see rational responses in this thread, mostly I see this room causing endless problems.

I do see a bias on Mac's part--against half-thought out, poorly expressed, and unsubstantiated assertions. And it's a bias I share.

At this point, I think Mac should close this room; it's more trouble--and vicious PMs and emails and just plain whining--than the rest of AW put together.

This is disheartening. Personally, I think the vitriol surrounding the P&CE board has lessened a lot over the past few months, save for a few notable blowups. But--those blowups can happen in any room on the forum. And I think that the majority of the people in P&CE have, for the most part, learned to regulate their posts a lot better. I see a lot more self-moderation (although that could just be me. I've never deleted so many posts in my life before) and far fewer flameouts. I think the arbiters--all of them--are doing a good job. P&CE serves a valuable purpose to the members of AW. It would be a shame to see it disappear.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score

:( I'll be good, I swear!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm not closing the room just because Joe thinks I'm an asshole who plays favorites.

So stop worrying, guys.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just so long as you don't go any higher.

I've often thought about kicking you in the head, but I relented as soon as I remembered you were a liberal who probably just doesn't know any better.

*snicker*

Seriously, though--as often as Rugcat and I have disagreed on issues, we manage to speak to each other with at least a modicum of restraint (all those baseless accusations of conservatism aside) and respect. If he throws on his arbiter hat, I respect that. That's what we're talking about here in a nutshell--respecting your fellow posters. It's the mantra of the whole damn board. Sometimes it's hard to remember that in the middle of a political debate. But when you're acting like an asshole, you need to be called on it by someone. I've called people on it; I've been called on it myself. 9 times out of 10, it's the truth. The arbiters' job is to call people on it and to (hopefully) keep cool enough themselves not to devolve into asshattedness. Occasionally, an arbiter will backslide. That's to be expected; they are human and just as opinionated as the rest of us.

And they get called on it. Just like all the rest of us. That's not a liberal or conservative thing.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

What did I ever do to you?

Deleted member 42

I've often thought about kicking you in the head, but I relented as soon as I remembered you were a liberal who probably just doesn't know any better.

I don't even think in terms of "liberal," "Conservative," or "Republican" or "Democrat."

Partly because they're meaningless labels without a consensus-based definition, but mostly, because I don't know any of you lot who "fit" the label perfectly.

Not a one of you. You all freely depart from party lines--so I tend to think about people in terms of how they post on issues, but even more so, on how well they express what they think, and support it.

So while I do see this room as a PITA (there were days when Mac or Dawno or I had to be logged pretty much all the time--there were times when Dawno and I worked out shifts to keep an eye on this room).

I also see the complaints about the same thread being "too liberal biased" and "too conservative biased."

I also see the value--for one thing, I see people hear pointing at events and issues long before they make it to main stream media.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I read most of the posts, but refrain from commenting or adding my two cents most of the time. The reason is what one has already stated on here that it is like a bunch of old men sitting around the country store trying to split hairs one hair at a time. The same old topics...the same old yakking and side taking. It does get real boring.

I also lurk here the majority of the time, and only chime in occasionally. It has been a little more common for me to comment lately because I've gotten more comfortable around AW. There have been a few times though that I've had to take an extended vacation from a thread because of the specifics of that particular thread, but I've learned to live with it.

I've learned a lot from P&CE in the time I've been active in it, though. The last thing I would call it when there's reasonable, logical, fact-based discussion is boring. In addition, I think it helps some of us think even harder about what it is we're writing--which hopefully helps with writing outside of P&CE...

It does get boring though when we've have threads that have been argued, cross-examined, fought over, and argued again until they become a tautology.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Just because I believe in self-examination, I took a walk through my recent politics post history. And because I believe in transparency, I'll point out that any one of us can click on anyone's profile, then click "find all posts by" under the forum info heading.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I'll point out that any one of us can click on anyone's profile, then click "find all posts by" under the forum info heading.

if you do that for me you'll only find that i'm pure as the driven snow.

eta: i blurve the lurking in the p&ce sections!