• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta readers for my Cozy Urban Fantasy (open for swap)

Valkyrie Tina

Registered
Reaction score
Finally, my Nano project from 2022 is finished and polished, and I am looking for Beta readers.

Title: Urban University - A Song of Trolls and Tenure
Genre: Cozy Urban Fantasy (Think "legends and lattes")
370 Pages, English

Brief Summary: At the Institute of Applied Folklore, studying magic is not like in the books. There is much more experimenting and bureaucracy - (so much bureaucracy), and the teaching staff is more like an evil stepmother. Amy would do anything to reach her goal and get tenure, and with much glee, she sets out for her year at the IAF. But challenge after challenge gets in her way, and when she finds a corpse in her office and the Queen of Fairy starts gunning for her, Amy realizes that this job of a lifetime could cost her her life. And all she's got in her corner is a flighty fairy with turquoise hair and a misanthropic book.

Known Issues: Clarity (I tend to under-describe my settings because, Hey, I do know them), language (I actively speak English every day, but it is not my native language so I still make stupid mistakes.)
What are you looking for? Some fresh eyes for the entire story, flow, structure etc., and also weaknesses in the language (not like full correction, but any advice would be greatly appreciated)
Method of Communication: As you wish, Discord, telegram, Mail, Facebook Content Warnings: body horror in one chapter (I can mark and/ or delete those sentences), hinted homophobia and sexism, language, 1 messy death, blood

Excerpt/Link:
"A fair red-haired lass in the morning sun. What tide has brought her to our shores?"
Amy jumped. The voice had come from right behind her. There were stairs at the building next to her, and on the uppermost step lounged the turquoise-haired fairy. She looked down at her with eyes you usually only saw on a cat. The fairies loved to play games. But she was a researcher, she was supposed to remain unfazed.
"Good morning to you," Amy said politely. "I am looking for the entrance to the Institute of Applied Folklore. Do you know where I have to go?"
The fairy jumped from the stairs and landed next to her. She didn't have wings but nevertheless, she seemed to fly.
"It depends. What tidings brings you to the institute?"
Amy shook her head. "Is that important?"
The other woman laughed, a sound like the wind in the leaves over them. "I beg your forgiveness. I just danced and I forget some centuries when I do that. To answer your question: Yes, it is important. Everyone has a different road, and if you are a singer, you take a different road than if you are a student."
"What entrance do you normally take?"
The other spread her fingers like a flamenco dancer. "I am Pulsatilla. I take whatever entrance I fancy."
That sounded weird to Amy. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Pulsatilla. My name is Amy Elfreich, pronouns she, her. I am a researcher. I will start to work at the Institute of Applied Folklore today." It sounded weird to her ears, pompous. But also, good.
Pulsatilla gasped and put her hands in front of her mouth. On a human, it would have looked theatrical. "The new PostDoc! We are all so curious about you." University was a gossip machine. Of course, everybody would know about a new member of staff.
"I am also very curious about... I mean, about everything," Amy stammered and felt the blood rising to her face. For the thousandth time, she wished to be taller. And more attractive. And less Amy.

JoeySL

Registered
Reaction score
I would very much love to beta this, but I am not a native speaker, either. Nevertheless, I could be your second reader for story, flow and structure. My own WIPs are UF as well, the setting is Venice. If you were interested in that we could swap. Maybe we could exchange sample chapters first to see if there's a fit. :)

Valkyrie Tina

Registered
Reaction score
I would very much love to beta this, but I am not a native speaker, either. Nevertheless, I could be your second reader for story, flow and structure. My own WIPs are UF as well, the setting is Venice. If you were interested in that we could swap. Maybe we could exchange sample chapters first to see if there's a fit. :)
That sounds wonderful. Venice? Are you from there? Let's swap chapters! How does this work? Should I PM my maildress to you?