Something from your childhood that you miss

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
Not paying bills, lol. I'm joking....but not really.

I miss just being carefree. Playing with my siblings and cousins in the park, spending time with my grandmother, watching those Saturday morning cartoons. :)

Even at thirty four I still watch some of those cartoons and MMPR to this day. Thank goodness for Netflix.

krinaphobia

Registered
Reaction score
We had a stream in our backyard that went through the entire neighborhood. Kids were allowed anywhere in the stream, no matter whose property we were technically on. You can imagine the number of imaginary worlds we build around that stream.

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
Riding bikes everywhere within a 10 mile radius
Playing army, tag, and football
GI Joes & other assorted action figures (I didn't play with dolls like all the other girls)
Making Hot Wheels dirt tracks/obstacle courses
Climbing trees and making forts

Those were the days, ya know

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To keep water from collecting in our basements, the houses on our street had sloped backyards that had a pitched drainage slope to the next street over. In the winter that used to freeze and we had our own private skating rink, stretching for four houses.

Sad thing I just found from my childhood. We used to go to the same place down the Cape with our Dad every year. Since it was a summer community we were only allowed in my Dad's favorite bar during the day during the summer. But in the winter we were allowed in at night. This was also back in the day when you could take your kids into a bar and no one raised an eyebrow.

For a while they had wine bottle stuck to the ceiling with melted wax, but one too many fell off and nearly beaned someone so they tied them up there. Everyone knew about the bottles though and would grab their drink and turn away when one fell. When any summer visitor asked for the beer or wine list, the bartender would take a bat and hit the wooden sign over the bar, listing the beer. No wine, unless you were a regular the bartender liked. Food was only served to regulars. It was a hoot in that place.

We would eat, play video games and pinball. I always wondered what happened to that bar so I Googled it. It's become a respectable family restaurant. Oh, the huge manatee. Sometimes you just shouldn't look.

jenndoss

Registered
Reaction score
When I would visit my dad, my stepmom made my half sister and I virgin pina coladas. It was a treat my mother never would have made so it was particularly special and oh so yummy.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Pony club days. I still ride, but I really really miss those hang out at the barn grooming ponies with a bunch of other nerdy, muddy kids.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not knowing stuff. Like finding something in a shop, like a spectrum game, being excited by the packaging, the blurb and screen shots on the case. Waiting for it to load, the basic graphics that toyed your imagination as you started to play, and all of it is new because there was no review online, no adverts, no forum discussion, no game play vids on you tube. Just you and the game.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember Sea Monkeys.

Every year we would go to NH and every year I would buy a box a Sea Monkeys. I always wanted to see them make the little castle that was on the front of the box. They never hatched :(

I may or may not still consider buy those stupid brine shrimp to see if I can get them to hatch.

What? I never got the Snoopy Sno Cone machine I wanted as a kid so I bought myself and my niece one when they were reissued a few years ago. It's never too late to live out your childhood dream.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fishing in Montana from May to September, hunting from September to the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Even before I could hunt, I chased along with my uncles. It was how I got my nickname.

becphish

Registered
Reaction score
So many things, but right now?
The aw-aw sound of the the all-metal playground swings that they used to have in all of the parks in Brooklyn, before the NYC Parks Department updated all of the equipment.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My grand daughter Mazzy and the neighbor kids, Edwin, Angel, Christopher had their first on- their- own campfire/hot dog roast tonight. Angel goes back to his mother's house and Mazzy goes home to start school so it is officially the end of their summer. They have had campfires with Smores before, in our fire pit and in the neighbors, with parental supervision. This time I let them have the hot dogs, buns, chips, ginger ale, graham crackers, marshmallows etc. to make their own cook out. They did the fire--I sawed the wood but they did the rest.

It was a big deal for them and they did well, picked up the paper plates and only charred a little patch of lawn. I remember our first camp fires as a kid around a ring of stones in a neighbor's yard. We brought our own hot dogs, marshmallows and coat hangers--not the all beef franks and fancy telescoping, stainless steel forks that I supplied. Not sure millennial kids would know how to twist a coat hanger into a cooking utensil.

Mrs. Richards, our hostess back in the sixties, supplied the ginger ale, unwound the garden hose, took the band aids and Unguentine out of the medicine cabinet, and then stepped back and let us do it ourselves. Funny how the ingredients have never changed, down to the same yellow mustard. I had forgotten how great it was to do the whole thing ourselves! --s6

Last edited:

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
My thick, wavy blond hair. No longer as blond or as wavy or ... well, no longer quite thick is some spots. Or even there at all, really.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I had a mate that was fixated on supernatural beasts and legends of ghostly encounters, and in his coal shed we'd sit on over turned milk crates and exchange stories by candle light, eating space raiders and drinking dandelion and burdock.

He had a vivid imagination and would tell wild stories from his world. Like how his black and white portable TV would switch itself on at night and display horrific images, even if it wasn't plugged in. Or that one of our class mates who had succumbed to leukemia, could be seen playing alone in the park on blustery days.

When we needed to top up our vitamin d, we'd play at the spooky derelict farm and dare ourselves to go up the path to the still occupied farm house, that we assumed quite naturally, was the evil abode of witches. Other times we'd hang out at the narly old Oak and swing from its branches. At dusk he would often describe the corpses swaying in the breeze from its thick lower limbs.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss my old placemat. I colored on it, snipped the edges, it was never as nice and spiffy looking as my sister's. Mine was infinitely better.

I also miss decal stores. Going through the books of decals to pick which one and on what tee shirt. Good times.

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I really miss is the dense heat of an east coast summer that lingered on into evenings with the lightning bugs and the sound of insects calling, and AM radio music from the cars as they passed down the street. It had such a wild promise in it. Where I live now, summer nights are cool and there are no insects calling -- it's kind of tepid.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, I really only miss not being OCD. That, and having more space to breath on the 30 acres my family owned. I know I didn't exactly have a rough childhood- & I'm counting childhood as birth to 11, here- but most of what I enjoyed & thought was good or fun back then has been tainted by knowledge & wisdom, & most of the stuff that isn't, I barely remember, even though I'm only 23.

But, I do remember & miss certain friends I used to be closer to. More than anything though, I just regret that I was a stupid, naive asshole & wish fervently that I had a chance to do most of my childhood over & wonder who I would be if I'd known then what I know now...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
This time of year I miss the holidays I used to have where I grew up. Small immediate family, but an immense extended family and a very close knit neighborhood, so holidays were one big unruly party after another. Lots of fun.

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
I really miss being carefree. Literally, my only worry was getting the newest Bratz doll.