Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning friends!

Just got back from a long visit with the chiropractor. I'm pretty much messed up from head to toe. And I think he cracked every bone in my spine, twice. Oh, and now I'll be keeping a food journal to try and see if these complex migraines have a food trigger.

I have herbal muscle relaxers and I'm wishing insurance cover acupuncture because the doc said that would help a lot. But for now I get to be curled up like a pretzel and jumped on.

But I shall not complain because in the end I'll be a real, unbroken, girl! :D

So how are y'all?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
No. :( I have been flicking through the edition I found, and there doesn't seen to be any kind of frame of reference included for the poetry - I really do like the forewords and essays which sometimes appear in these collections.

Well, boo. We have some wonderful poets and no one knows about them. :cry:

If you can, look for Fernando Pessoa and Florbela Espanca (who I love).

Oh gods. I'm gonna have to refrain from hitting YouTube for some of their songs... *bites fingers*

Doooooo eeeeeeet.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Well, boo. We have some wonderful poets and no one knows about them. :cry:

If you can, look for Fernando Pessoa and Florbela Espanca (who I love).

*adds to list*

I've still not managed to track down some of the French poets who I have been told are greats, and those *should* be easier to find. *sigh* Stoopid bookshops and their focus on ultra-modernity. Eighty gajillion copies of Fifty Shades...

*sigh* YouTube hell awaits me... I'll lose the entire night to that site.

I appear to be lacking motivation and on a bit of a downer. Also, I am sans cookies.

I wonder if the second is related to the third or the first?

Cookies. Definitely cookies. Get yourself some. :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take a wild guess.

*snort* She'll be lurking, y'know...

And because I told her I would read it, I kinda have to. It's... the rules. Or something.

Then your girlfriend needs better taste in poetry. (And you need to redefine the "rules" of the relationship. Save yourself before it's too late and you're buried in treacly clap-trap!! :tongue)

In all seriousness, though, the Brownings are the kind of crap that teen high school girls moon over. "How Do I Love Thee" is perhaps the best evidence of this, and it's far from the worst offender in the Browning oeuvre.

Nor is it the era; it's just *them.*

There are better poets from the era - I cite again Miss Dickinson, who is much more than people give her credit for - and better poets on the subject of love and romance.

I adore good poetry, and own a number of books and collections. My own preferences run to more modern poets, but even among the older things there are better things to read.

So if you're looking for something good to read, let me know. Then you can foist it on Abby, and make *her* read it.

:D

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty much messed up from head to toe.

I could have told you this without the fees.

Glad you're starting to get answers though, and definitely look for food triggers. I don't have many - just one, that I know of - and they suck. Instant migraine, no matter how fast I reach for the meds.

:e2hammer:

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning friends!

Just got back from a long visit with the chiropractor. I'm pretty much messed up from head to toe. And I think he cracked every bone in my spine, twice. Oh, and now I'll be keeping a food journal to try and see if these complex migraines have a food trigger.

Sounds like a complicated issue, hope it gets solved quickly - and painlessly. :Hug2:

I've still not managed to track down some of the French poets who I have been told are greats, and those *should* be easier to find. *sigh*

Rimbaud... :heart:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:, Kricket. I hope that your skeletal issues get resolved soon and painlessly.

Oooh, poetry. :heart::heart::heart:

Sara, are those poets available in English translation, do you know? And, if so, do the translations do them justice?

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I believe Pessoa is, but I don't know how good the translations are. I don't know if Espanca is, but her sonnets are amazing. She has one about what it means to be a poet that has one of my favorite lines ever: To condense the world in a single scream.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The only romance language poet I've ever heard of is Jose Anuncion Silva, and he's Latin American. And the only reason I know about him is because my mother's sister wrote a couple books about him.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe Pessoa is, but I don't know how good the translations are. I don't know if Espanca is, but her sonnets are amazing. She has one about what it means to be a poet that has one of my favorite lines ever: To condense the world in a single scream.

So, clearly if they are not, then you need to do it.

How else will we get to read it?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I could have told you this without the fees.

Glad you're starting to get answers though, and definitely look for food triggers. I don't have many - just one, that I know of - and they suck. Instant migraine, no matter how fast I reach for the meds.

:e2hammer:

Sounds like a complicated issue, hope it gets solved quickly - and painlessly. :Hug2:

:Hug2:, Kricket. I hope that your skeletal issues get resolved soon and painlessly.

Thanks guys. :)

And I already knew I was messed up, in more ways then one, but at least this is treatable. ;)

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
That's the second time this week I've had an AWer suggest I work on translating portuguese material. I have no idea how to go about that. :idea:

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

That is a great line.

It's been a long time since I've written any poetry.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Good morning friends!

I have herbal muscle relaxers and I'm wishing insurance cover acupuncture because the doc said that would help a lot. But for now I get to be curled up like a pretzel and jumped on.

But I shall not complain because in the end I'll be a real, unbroken, girl! :D

So how are y'all?

:Hug2:

I hope you feel better soon!

(And you've reminded me I need to schedule a massage.)

I'm doing fine. :D

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
That is a great line.

It's been a long time since I've written any poetry.

I've read enough amazing poetry that I do not now attempt to write it. Except that Michael Ondaatje, who writes prose like poetry and poetry like prose, sometimes makes me think I could.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
My "condition" is treatable.

With a good bottle of properly aged single-malt.

What about a can of one year old scotch? I had a long discussion about this product with my local liquormonger. Neither of us was happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.