Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. We don't have them here:tongue. Like pumpkin flavoured sweet anything, or sweet potatoe chips. And that creamer stuff you guys use for coffee

Well, I'm sure Australia has all kinds of delicious things that the rest of the world doesn't.

...not that I know of any... :D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Back from the musical and dinner. The show was very funny and my dinner and cheese cake yummy.

Now I'm heading back out to watch my brother's men's league hockey game play their second playoff game.

I'm not used to this.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The chunky chips which go with fish and mushy peas? Those are sweet potatoes? Aren't all potatoes just... potatoes? Look, I just eat the damn things. Categorizing what I'm eating is only gonna make me depressed, and everyone else appalled at my diet...

And yes, I have had a proper dinner today.

A regular potato and a sweet potato are different, only distantly related. They grow basically the same way -- both are tubers -- but the sweet potato has orange flesh, and is, well, sweet.

sweet_potato1.gif

Thanksgiving-2011_NY0104-twice-baked-sweet-potatoes_s4x3_lead.jpg

You can cook them the same as regular potatoes -- chips, crisps, baked, etc. -- but the flavor is different.

I personally don't like sweet potatoes; I don't like mixing sweet with savoury. But I do have a weakness for sweet potato pie, which is made with yams (which are different, but similar, to both potatoes and sweet potatoes).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Then I have not had those - or if I have, it has been so long as to have been driven from my memory.

Not that, y'know, I'm old or anything...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Um.

*thinks hard*

I don't think I have ever eaten pumpkin. I smelled one at Halloween last year, and that kinda put me off the idea of putting it in my mouth.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
You ain't missing nothing, BW. I don't like 'em. My big sister likes sweet potato chips (french fries, whatever), and fixes them all the time, grows them in our garden.

Sian is right: imagine taking a regular potato, cook it like a chip, only instead of salt, sprinkle it with sugar and a little nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice, and you'll have the flavor, more or less. There's a slight difference in texture, but you get the idea.

ETA: on the pumpkin front, I like pumpkin all right in pies, but it's nothing special. On the other hand, pumpkin soup? Yeah, I'd go there, again and again and again.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Back from the musical and dinner. The show was very funny and my dinner and cheese cake yummy.

Now I'm heading back out to watch my brother's men's league hockey game play their second playoff game.

I'm not used to this.
*hears 'musical'*
*pounces*

What did you see? What did you seeeeeeeeeeeeee!? *jumps up and down like excitable puppy* :D

ETA: And I'm with BW on not being into pumpkins. I often find that once you've been hit with something it tends to become less appealing as a potential food.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
You ain't missing nothing, BW. I don't like 'em. My big sister likes sweet potato chips (french fries, whatever), and fixes them all the time, grows them in our garden.

Sian is right: imagine taking a regular potato, cook it like a chip, only instead of salt, sprinkle it with sugar and a little nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice, and you'll have the flavor, more or less. There's a slight difference in texture, but you get the idea.

ETA: on the pumpkin front, I like pumpkin all right in pies, but it's nothing special. On the other hand, pumpkin soup? Yeah, I'd go there, again and again and again.

Lol

Well, I can't think of anything odder than sprinkling sugar on either sweet potatoe or pumpkin. Never mind nutmeg. But this debate has been had before.

In my mind both pumpkin and sweet potatoe are savoury vegetables. You have them chopped up and roasted and then you put them in with risotto, pasta, in with peas and carrots as a side veggie, that sort of thing.

Although I'm going to try sugar on my sweet potatoe next time. I can't imagine how it'll actually taste though...

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
*hears 'musical'*
*pounces*

What did you see? What did you seeeeeeeeeeeeee!? *jumps up and down like excitable puppy* :D

ETA: And I'm with BW on not being into pumpkins. I often find that once you've been hit with something it tends to become less appealing as a potential food.

Wait...

You were hit by a pumpkin? :eek:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Lol

Well, I can't think of anything odder than sprinkling sugar on either sweet potatoe or pumpkin. Never mind nutmeg. But this debate has been had before.

In my mind both pumpkin and sweet potatoe are savoury vegetables. You have them chopped up and roasted and then you put them in with risotto, pasta, in with peas and carrots as a side veggie, that sort of thing.

Although I'm going to try sugar on my sweet potatoe next time. I can't imagine how it'll actually taste though...

That's the problem, in my mind. I expect them to be savoury, and when they're sweet instead, it's jarring to me. I don't like sweet and savoury together. That's one of the reasons I am not big into barbecue; I don't like sweet sauces on meat. I like the eastern carolina vinegar sauce, and the south carolina mustard based sauces, but not the Kansas City or Mississippi styles, waaaaay too sweet.

And maybe it's the hillbilly in me, but I'll try any food once. Like with the dog fat thing you all were discussing earlier. I'm not particularly put off by that. It's not like dogs are poisonous, after all. I wouldn't like being lied to about what I'm being fed, but eating dog in itself isn't uniquely horrific.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Halloween isn't a good time for me, basically.

Oh, God, RA, that is really really horrible, and I'm soooo sorry!

Nowadays there is such a campaign here in the States to stop bullies and bullying. It makes me a little sore: where the hell were all these do-gooders when I was the one who was getting bullied?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay away from pumpkin chunkin fields. Just sayin.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my goodness, my daughter has gone ginger! Like full on red hair!

It looks good. Shocked me right down to the floor, but still, I like it.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't even bullies. I was with my friends, I was just too stupid to realise beforehand that pumpkins can really hurt.

Never had pumpkin thrown at me. Had watermelon rind thrown at me by one of my sisters, but not the same thing at all.

On the other hand, I had bullies throw eggs at me; that wasn't fun. And feed corn thrown from a moving car? Ouch!

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Never had pumpkin thrown at me. Had watermelon rind thrown at me by one of my sisters, but not the same thing at all.

On the other hand, I had bullies throw eggs at me; that wasn't fun. And feed corn thrown from a moving car? Ouch!
I tended to be over-dramatic about it at the time but I honestly don't remember being outwardly bullied all that much. Quietly ostracised, yes. But that was half their fault, half me just being an anti-social loner back then.

I think the fact that I had a massive crush I still didn't even fully understand on one of the jerks at the time just made most of the stuff that could genuinely be called bullying seem that much worse.

But that was always like me. Making everything worse for myself somehow seems to be a speciality of mine. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I tended to be over-dramatic about it at the time but I honestly don't remember being outwardly bullied all that much. Quietly ostracised, yes. But that was half their fault, half me just being an anti-social loner back then.

I think the fact that I had a massive crush I still didn't even fully understand on one of the jerks at the time just made most of the stuff that could genuinely be called bullying seem that much worse.

But that was always like me. Making everything worse for myself somehow seems to be a speciality of mine. :D

I was very very badly bullied, from the time I was six years old until was about fifteen or sixteen. Physical, emotional, name calling, things thrown at me. They had lots of reasons to target me: I was ugly, I was too tall, I wore homemade clothes, I was a teacher's brat, I was too smart, I talked differently than they did. I was just too different.

It was bad. Really bad. I had dirt and gum and dog shit rubbed in my hair. I had my glasses broken on my face (and I don't mean the frames; I mean this guy hit me so hard the glass -- and it was glass, not polymer, and a quarter of an inch thick -- actually shattered in the frames). I've been spit on and called names that I don't even want to think about. They tried to pull elaborate practical "jokes" on me; luckily, I didn't usually fall for them.

By the time I hit high school, I was so angry all the time.... I can't explain how angry I was. But that's mostly what stopped the bullying: I made it very clear that I wasn't afraid to destroy anybody who crossed me. I stabbed one boy with a bit of broken wood when he tried to get physical with me (this is the same boy who broke my glasses, only three years later). I hit a boy and broke his nose. I developed a hellaciously sharp tongue, and would go for the jugular with my words; I could destroy your reputation in a day's time, and I wasn't a bit afraid to do it. And I never got in trouble for it because I had a good reputation and I was a teacher's brat.

I only had to deal with the dean of girls twice. Once when I stood up in class and told my science teacher to go to hell (that was a long story). The other time, I got in a fight with another girl; my mom was actually the one who sent me to the office, and even then, the dean of girls took my side, because I was a Clarkson.

I sometimes look back at the girl I was the day before I started my first day at school and how different I am now. I sometimes wonder what sort of person I would have turned out to be, if all the bullying -- and my own reactions to the bullying -- hadn't warped my personality so much.

Remember me saying a while back that loving my neighbor was all the Christian duty I could handle, that it was too much work to do more? That's why. I live in the same community where I grew up, and I interact with those same people who used to bully me. And I have to figure out a way to love them. Not so easy.

Ostracized is good. Be glad all they did was ostracize you. It could have been soooo much worse.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I was very very badly bullied, from the time I was six years old until was about fifteen or sixteen. Physical, emotional, name calling, things thrown at me. They had lots of reasons to target me: I was ugly, I was too tall, I wore homemade clothes, I was a teacher's brat, I was too smart, I talked differently than they did. I was just too different.

It was bad. Really bad. I had dirt and gum and dog shit rubbed in my hair. I had my glasses broken on my face (and I don't mean the frames; I mean this guy hit me so hard the glass -- and it was glass, not polymer, and a quarter of an inch thick -- actually shattered in the frames). I've been spit on and called names that I don't even want to think about. They tried to pull elaborate practical "jokes" on me; luckily, I didn't usually fall for them.

By the time I hit high school, I was so angry all the time.... I can't explain how angry I was. But that's mostly what stopped the bullying: I made it very clear that I wasn't afraid to destroy anybody who crossed me. I stabbed one boy with a bit of broken wood when he tried to get physical with me (this is the same boy who broke my glasses, only three years later). I hit a boy and broke his nose. I developed a hellaciously sharp tongue, and would go for the jugular with my words; I could destroy your reputation in a day's time, and I wasn't a bit afraid to do it. And I never got in trouble for it because I had a good reputation and I was a teacher's brat.

I only had to deal with the dean of girls twice. Once when I stood up in class and told my science teacher to go to hell (that was a long story). The other time, I got in a fight with another girl; my mom was actually the one who sent me to the office, and even then, the dean of girls took my side, because I was a Clarkson.

I sometimes look back at the girl I was the day before I started my first day at school and how different I am now. I sometimes wonder what sort of person I would have turned out to be, if all the bullying -- and my own reactions to the bullying -- hadn't warped my personality so much.

Remember me saying a while back that loving my neighbor was all the Christian duty I could handle, that it was too much work to do more? That's why. I live in the same community where I grew up, and I interact with those same people who used to bully me. And I have to figure out a way to love them. Not so easy.
Right now, I feel like honestly giving you all the hugs. :Hug2:

Ostracized is good. Be glad all they did was ostracize you. It could have been soooo much worse.
This I agree with. Luckily for me I didn't talk to many people too often so I was able to pretty effectively hide most of the stuff about myself that would have gotten me the most crap.

It's also the reason I didn't come out as gay the moment I knew I was. They would have kicked the living crap out of me endlessly for that. For that and for so many other things about me. With the gift of hindsight I'm able to realise I was a bloody weird kid.

So I guess being a loner has advantages in certain situations. Still, I'm always stuck with the thought that if I didn't get my self-esteem roundly demolished for 5 whole years, I'd probably be a better person than I am today. *sigh* The things that could have been...

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I feel like honestly giving you all the hugs. :Hug2:

Thank you sweetie. I know I just did a shit-ton of whinging, and I am bitter about a lot of it. But for the most part, I've made my peace with myself, if not with them. 99% of the time, I'm a happy person.

This I agree with. Luckily for me I didn't talk to many people too often so I was able to pretty effectively hide most of the stuff about myself that would have gotten me the most crap.

It's also the reason I didn't come out as gay the moment I knew I was. They would have kicked the living crap out of me endlessly for that. For that and for so many other things about me. With the gift of hindsight I'm able to realise I was a bloody weird kid.

So I guess being a loner has advantages in certain situations. Still, I'm always stuck with the thought that if I didn't get my self-esteem roundly demolished for 5 whole years, I'd probably be a better person than I am today. *sigh* The things that could have been...

I understand; I was there, too. But you survived it, and you're still you and people love you (and not just here in the cantina); that's enough to start sewing up the tatters on your self-esteem. And you're a writer now! You know how many people wish they could do what we do?

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I understand; I was there, too. But you survived it, and you're still you and people love you (and not just here in the cantina); that's enough to start sewing up the tatters on your self-esteem.
The time to start on my self-esteem would have been college, really. But that passed me by because I was too introverted and messed up at the time to bother trying to be social... including rejecting what I honestly think was the first pass at me made by a cute guy, because I was too low on myself to ever think anyone could like me in any way.

Some days I still regret that potential missed opportunity...

And you're a writer now! You know how many people wish they could do what we do?
Hell, I wish I could do what I claim to do. Since some days calling myself a writer makes me feel like a guy who found a toy badge in a box of cereal and started calling himself "Police Chief."

Also, so few people ever call me sweetie... I like being called sweetie. So thank you. :D

ETA: But I just looked at my clock and discovered it to be 2:40 in the morning. I need sleep or I'll be a grumpy jerk tomorrow. So, g'night everybody. :)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The time to start on my self-esteem would have been college, really. But that passed me by because I was too introverted and messed up at the time to bother trying to be social... including rejecting what I honestly think was the first pass at me made by a cute guy, because I was too low on myself to ever think anyone could like me in any way.

Some days I still regret that potential missed opportunity...

It's never too late to work on your self-esteem. Now is as good a time as any.

Hell, I wish I could do what I claim to do. Since some days calling myself a writer makes me feel like a guy who found a toy badge in a box of cereal and started calling himself "Police Chief."

Says who? Is there a rule somewhere? Are you only a writer if you're a bestseller, like Stephen King or J.K. Rowling? Are you only a writer if you're published, Gina? Or are you a writer when you write?

You're a writer because you're writing. Whether you're just learning the ropes, or you've sold a million copies, you're still putting words on paper and learning and honing your art, just like the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.