Status
Not open for further replies.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
OMGLOVEYOU!!!!

:D

Back atcha. :) I also love my indie bookshop. They're great!

Also, wow, your boss is ... yeah. Sorry, honey.

Need to work, but in the Internet keeps distracting me.

Also, snappy, if you didn't see, you won a prize in the contest my pub did on FB last week. :D Go see!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Blond and Cindy, welcome back!
glomp.gif

Also, snappy, if you didn't see, you won a prize in the contest my pub did on FB last week. :D Go see!

WOOOOOT!!!! I am excited. Guess who is asking for your book. THIS gal! YAY! *fingers crossed they say yes* I am willing to wait. :D

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My God, Blond. Your boss is a clueless fuckwit. :crazy:

Firedrake: Insults for hire. :D

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh how annoying blond. How can she expect you to do anything without telling you?? What an idiot

^ This

There should be an anti-idiot pill. Either to stop them from being idiots or the rest of us from being able to see/hear them or something.

Saturday was "stupid bitch driving" day. Drove less than 3 miles and two tried to hit me in the car. Should be anti-stupidbitch pills too.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Welcome back Blond and hugs on the Dayjob kicking you in the teeth. Got to love how some people excel at fuckwittery (which should totally be a word, by the way).

Lily, yay for kitten shots and keeping the little guy inside for the time being.

Agree on the biting though. But I think it really depends on the kitten. Mine never did anything but nibble in a playful way. Sorry for your bad experience, Haupe.

Hmm yeah, I'm forgetting things here. Getting sleepy, but I still need to go to my afternoon class. Bah, stupidly long days. At least today is my dayjob Friday, so tomorrow there might be sleep. :)

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Blond and Cindy, welcome back!
glomp.gif

WOOOOOT!!!! I am excited. Guess who is asking for your book. THIS gal! YAY! *fingers crossed they say yes* I am willing to wait. :D

Thanks, Doll! I'm told ARCs are coming in just a matter of weeks. OMG!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
So my co-worker is telling me about her trip with her daughter to see her ex-MIL one last time (cancer; only a few days left). The family drama is appalling: new husband who's trying to get all her money; won't let anyone see the MIL alone; kicking my co-worker and daughter out of "his" house--in the rain. It goes on. I'm sorry for and her daughter, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking: SUBPLOT!!!

:evil

:e2paperba

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
So my co-worker is telling me about her trip with her daughter to see her ex-MIL one last time (cancer; only a few days left). The family drama is appalling: new husband who's trying to get all her money; won't let anyone see the MIL alone; kicking my co-worker and daughter out of "his" house--in the rain. It goes on. I'm sorry for and her daughter, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking: SUBPLOT!!!

:evil

:e2paperba

:D

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Doll! I'm told ARCs are coming in just a matter of weeks. OMG!

Guess who is getting an ARC! WOOOOOOT!!!! SO EXCITED!!! I can't wait. I can't wait. :D And I am so picking up more N00k books from your press. They look absolutely awesome!

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Guess who is getting an ARC! WOOOOOOT!!!! SO EXCITED!!! I can't wait. I can't wait. :D And I am so picking up more N00k books from your press. They look absolutely awesome!

Aw, yay! :D

And yay! I've read them all, and we have some really talented writers. Lowcountry Boil is my personal favorite. Mystery Scene magazine just gave Portrait a GREAT review today, too. :)

Lily, that's awesome. :)

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i'm so disappointed that no one
has pointed out what a loon i look like. ha!

lily pie, yikes!
but hoorah for bookish inspiration.

lwalker, congrats!

blondie, congrats on your whirlwind tour!
i couldn't keep up with you! i'm bummed
i couldn't see you at P0well's.

sir3ns was a blast but intense and
i'm exhausted. i had a lovely time talking
to charmingbillie, who is wonderful, of course,
being a puglet, even if a more evasive one. 8)

by yesterday, going to our panel signing,
i was pretty much running on adrenalin.
but there was a great turn out and we sold
lots of books which was wonderful as even
the events coordinator was super pleased. hoorah!

and as a super surprise, tu b00ks was able
to send early copies of antho to the signing and
it was the first time i had seen a physical copy.
that was very exciting!

other than that, it is great to be home.

i think my roundtable went well--but i couldn't
truly tell. it was 4pm and i wanted a nap and
felt i babbled a bit. =O

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy, no one mentioned it because you don't look like a loon. It's a great photo. :D Glad you had a good time, and wish I was a fly on the wall at that panel.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Maryn's lurking. Hi, people!]

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Nap time]

I blame the dogs for my staying up late reading. What? You think I'm going to blame myself?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
*skitters in*

S.O.S.

Collective Purgy mind: what do you do with your cell phone when you travel abroad? I need to stay in touch with a few people, so I'd rather keep my phone. But some are saying to rent a phone. Others claim I should get some kind of international plan. But, those might incur roaming charges. :gaah Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

*skitters out*

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were advised that it was not worth the cost to get an international plan (which you can't do just for a week or a month, the bastids) and that without one, our phones would not work, period. These are/were old-style phones, not smart phones.

We brought one phone, and the charger, so we could use them once back in the US but still a long way from home.

If you have reason to think your phone will work, but roaming charges will apply, then consider how much you need to say and keep it very, very brief. You can always find a place with wifi and stay in touch in more detail via email.

Maryn, who doesn't often travel outside the US

WritingDemons

Reclusive doesn't begin to cover it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jackykendricks.blogspot.com
I am knitting. The first pocket is a little wonky, but hey, it's a nooblet's sweater, so that's all right. The second one is going much more smoothly, and isn't skeewhompus... yet.

And then, I shall start on the scarf proper. I'll probably need to buy more yarn before I can start on the hood. But I'm excited. :)

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Welcome back, X-Cin and Blond. Sounds like world domination is apace for you both.

Collective Purgy mind: what do you do with your cell phone when you travel abroad? I need to stay in touch with a few people, so I'd rather keep my phone. But some are saying to rent a phone. Others claim I should get some kind of international plan. But, those might incur roaming charges. :gaah Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I have no idea what it's like in reverse, because Canadian cell rates are exorbitant compared to American, but if they are comparable, you will pay through the nose. Worse, there's no way to know you'll pay through the nose until you're home. They make things so impossible to understand and protect oneself against.

I bought an international plan last year. (I'm with Rogers.) It covered data and a certain number of minutes. I was told I could view 1000 web pages without impunity. I turned off roaming, turned the phone off outright except for brief periods to check my email, check for messages, text. I was gone a week. The following month's bill was something like $500.

I learned my lesson. I'm traveling next week, and I'm going to take my phone but leave it off. (It will be for emergencies only.) I'll communicate through email via the laptop and WiFi, and my family will have my number, but otherwise no cell phone. It sucks, but what are you gonna do?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, you can buy a SIM card for your phone in the country you're going to. It depends on who your phone was bought through. The phone I brought with me from the US was from V3riz0n. The one US cell phone provider that I could not get a UK SIM card for.

Love the photo!!! Want to know what the axe is all about!

Status
Not open for further replies.