The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I've always been fascinated by Bruce Banner's character, and it was, I thought, really well-handled here for all that he got continuously upstaged by his hilarious alter ego. That line about always being angry was just perfect.

They did really well at developing and showing Banner. Thoroughly pleased with that. Now I'm hoping for a Silver Surfer revamp.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I used to do archery!

Let's just say that it's very obvious why Amazons were known to sometimes cut off a boob shooting an arrow...

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Purgies.

(((Cheeky)))

(((Dys)))

I really want to try to see the Avengers. I'm going into Vegas this weekend, so maybe I can see it then.

Going to try to get writing done today. Last day of the semester. Yay.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Dragon, 2nd OL's accupuncture suggestion. It really helped my tendonitis. I know it's not the same thing, but nerves is its speciality. And don't apologize for whining. It's very understandable.
perhaps should never make a toast
again?

cindy, there's a reason i don't drink 8)
Worst. Toast. Evah. :ROFL:Rick mentioned he wouldn't be back until January, so Cindy said we should toast to the six month mark or something and then proceeded to talk about broken dreams, bubbles bursting, stabbed with swords or something. We decided not to toast to that. :D

We not only closed down the restaurant, but we were definitely the loudest group. I'm wondering if they all cleared out because they couldn't hear themselves over our laughter. I would have included a photo but Ph0tobucket is having uploading problems this morning.

Well, much as I loved it, I have to admit I kind of sympathized with Richard Dreyfuss's character there. I have many Bobs in my family. They aren't always good company. :D
I guess that makes a difference. I've never known anyone like Bob, so I loved his character and how he won over the family. I didn't really want to see Richard Dreyfuss's character driven mad, but he was so stuffy, egotistical and arrogant that I loved watching him made to look ridiculous. It's a dumb movie, but it really is one of my favourites.

((Ink))

(((Cheeky)))

((Dys)) I know how you feel, but it is inevitable when you live somewhere other than where you were born and grew up. It will pass. And get better as time goes by. Truly.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
So, stupid mememe moment, but somehow coming back from Europe always drags this whole nasty identity crisis with it where I'm happy to be home, only it's not really home and things seem terribly complicated and overwhelming. Being an adult sucks. :(

If it's any consolation, I still feel that way about the LA/SF divide...and I've lived in LA permanently since 2001!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I can just see you guys crashing glasses together, bellowing "TO BROKEN DREAMS!" TO CRUSHED HOPES!" :ROFL:

{{{{Dys}}}}

They did really well at developing and showing Banner. Thoroughly pleased with that. Now I'm hoping for a Silver Surfer revamp.

It makes me happy when writers and directors really seem to get the strong social-misfit aspect of the superhero phenomenon: it adds such character depth. I loved the first 2 X-Men movies for that reason.

YES. Can't wait to see it!

See, this is one of the very few drawbacks to marrying a Russian. In movies like this I end up sitting next to a 6'4" goateed, shaved-headed man wearing a thunderous scowl and grumbling every few minutes in a bass that makes everyone else in the aisle lean away, "It doesn't look like that anywhere. Where the hell did they get these actors? That doesn't even sound like Russian. Is that a Scottish accent? What are you people laughing at? It's not funny."

And, sinking down into the seat in a sulk that will last at least a few hours: "I f#*king hate Hollywood."

Really: that Russian cosmonaut in Armageddon? I'm still heading about that a decade later. :tongue

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same way about my island. I'm relieved to come home, but then of course this isn't my home, Canada's my home and Montreal's my home but this is where I am and where I live and where my life is, but my real life is up in Montreal going on without me.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i wanted to toast AGAINST that
for the rest of 2012!

haha!

cindy, who just got her royalty statements 8)

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fascinated with the home attachment/conflict thing. I know it's fairly common but I've never felt it (yet another emotional handicap/hindrance I have). I go back to Oklahoma and don't feel any attachment to it. I go on vacation and come back and while I'm glad to have my things that make me comfortable I'm not emotionally bound to it. Yeah all the work I've done in my yard makes me comfortable and happy but I could just as easily pack up my books, the computer, and the dogs and leave everything else behind to go somewhere else. Sometimes I wish I could develop stronger emotional bonds to things.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Caleb, I'm the same way. The only time I truly felt attached to a place was in Japan. It's been over four years and I STILL miss it. But, the place I grew up, *shrugs*, I could leave tomorrow and not look back.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I get very emotionally attached to places.

But I also get attached to people, and three days before I turned fifteen my parents told me I was leaving everyone I knew to live on a desert island in the middle of the ocean.

So.

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Hey all!

Cin, your 'toast' cracked me up today. I could just hear it in my head. Cheeky, so sorry for the hives. That happens to me all the time and it always scares the $#$# out of me. Benadryl and cool washclothes usually do the trick. Dys, sorry that you are down but I'm glad you are back!

I cannot wait to see @vengers. Sadly, it will probably be a rental.

Also, in other news, the $#$# dog took the #$#$# drainpipe off the house again. I'm about ready to electrify it, which would solve the problems of chipmunks taunting him from within AND teach him a lesson.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get very emotionally attached to places.

But I also get attached to people, and three days before I turned fifteen my parents told me I was leaving everyone I knew to live on a desert island in the middle of the ocean.

So.

Part of me envies this. I'm highly emotional but admittedly its selfish emotions. It revolves around how I feel things are directed at me and what I like and don't like. But where people are concerned I can only develop emotional attachments to a certain point then it stops. But it's balanced in other ways.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I had the home/not home? dilemma when I went to college. It wasn't so much the place (my parents move every few years anyway) as the fact that I realized I was an adult and would never get to "go home" in quite the same way again. Then I had more of the cultural shock/identity crisis that Dys is talking about when I went to China and when I came back. Now that I've got my own family I don't feel that stuff so much - I'm not going to leave them, they don't leave me, so it doesn't really matter where we are.

On the other hand I STILL dream regularly about finding myself in China and realizing they've sent me back for a second year. Had one last night, in fact. Sometimes it's all OMG aaaaaaaaaaaagh let me go home! And other times it's all very familiar and exciting. Whatever, brain.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
ETA: This post probably needs to come with a stupidly incoherent Dys rant warning. Someone needs to make a smiley for this. ;)

Caleb, I actually know what you mean. To a certain extent I actually feel the same way. I'm much more attached to people than I am to any specifc place (which kind of sounds like a duh). For the most part I really like living someplace other than where I was born. I think for my general weirdness and the fact that I just never really fit in with people back "home" in Germany, it was the best thing I could have done. Even though I never should have done it in combination of moving in with my ex, which created a really stupid dependency relationship and I ended up literally all alone when things went crazy and fell to pieces.

Anyway, as much as I love going back to Germany, I'm pretty sure I couldn't live there again. Definitely not with my parents. I mean, my mother tries to forgive me for having emigrated, but really her philosophy pretty much boils down to the fact that this is a choice I've made and now I need to live with that. Which is okay, I guess. I like my independence. Just every once in a while it would be nice to have someone to back me up and to make decisions with, which I guess doesn't play well with the whole independence thing.

So yeah, coming back home was good. People missed me and thank the Gods, I found my cat again. I know it's not perfect. People tell me so. Often. (Which probably only reemphasizes the nagging doubt that maybe I spectacularly fucked things up by emigrating and what the hell was I even thinking>? Was I thinking?) But I also know I'm not going to stick around here forever, I just don't see it. I'd like to have some sort of plan of what comes next and I'd like to be able to make that kind of plan with someone who tells me if I'm doing something completely crazy, but I guess that's just how it's going to be. I guess it's a good thing that I have good friends who I can rope into coming to annoying things like graduations and to do some serious handholding, because I obviously require lots of that. :tongue

Anyway, this is stupid. Maybe people should put me on ignore for a bit as this is clearly a result of a stupidly immature Peter Pan complex ;) I'd better go do something productive. Like, I owe Tas a crit and I should get writing. Also, need more tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.