Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Purgatorians.

Did you know window putty has to dry seven to ten days before it can be painted? It's among the surprises Mr. Maryn has had while painting our house this summer. Apparently the upper story's windows on the west side, which get a lot of sun, have almost no putty left and are staying in place through sheer will power.

That's nothing compared to the surprises I read about at a local construction site where there will be a Costco store in due time. In excavating, they found a tunnel system which had joined multiple buildings of the old psychiatric center they'd torn down, which was a shame. (Think Shutter Island.) And under those tunnels, another tunnel system!

Maryn, who'd have loved to explore them

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Maryn, Corey finally convinced me to watch Shutter Island a few weeks ago. I still can't decide if I liked it. Mostly, it was stressful. LOL. But I do love the idea of an old asylum. And tunnels.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You visit me, Caleb, and I'll show you the entrance to my city's long-closed subway tunnels. (We don't have a subway. I think it closed in the 50s.) Plus I'll feed you and let you sleep in my guest room. Hell, that offer's good for all of you!

Maryn, still mad with herself for turning down a tour there

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Secret tunnels beneath cities always reminds me of the original Beauty & the Beast series. Still one of my all time favorite love stories.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When Borders was tanking, I bought that for The Kid, who I hoped would like it. She's never mentioned one way or the other, making me think I should have kept it for myself.

Maryn, greedy

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I heard that the collectors set of all three seasons together was coming out soon. Maybe you should treat yourself.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Dang it, now I gotta go home and marathon it. I loved that series so much. That's always been one of my goals as a writer, to write about a love that makes me feel the way that show did.

Needless to say, haven't managed it yet.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I should indeed treat myself.

Mr. Maryn and I have this essential disagreement about buying DVDs these days. I'm still of the opinion that DVDs last many, many years and they're still worth acquiring, even if new technology comes along. He's sure that streaming services--which are often bumpy, stop-and-load affairs for us--are all we should have or need.

So now when I buy myself a DVD, I just slip it into the collection without remark.

Maryn, sly

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You visit me, Caleb, and I'll show you the entrance to my city's long-closed subway tunnels. (We don't have a subway. I think it closed in the 50s.) Plus I'll feed you and let you sleep in my guest room. Hell, that offer's good for all of you!

Maryn, still mad with herself for turning down a tour there

ON IT!

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Done with my first week of school and I am so tired everywhere. So stressed out from trying to figure out my classes. I rescheduled everything completely at least three times. Now I'm done, but I hate one of my classes which depresses me. Good to get it over with I guess. I also discovered my department has a room that is nice and private with windows and futons for naps, and is behind a door that requires a passcode to get in, so I can study and work in there without worrying about many distractions. So that was nice.

I also am getting used to using MARTA. The first few times I was bewildered but I am starting to feel more comfortable with it.

The biggest source of exhaustion is honestly not even the walking but having to deal with people constantly. That is TIRING.

I was offered a GRA for this semester but I am really unsure about whether to take it. The professor makes me a little uncomfortable, and I'm not sure whether it's my problem with people in general - I can't read the situation very well.

On the bright side I was able to meet someone everyone says should probably be my advisor and we got along really well, and she agreed to be my advisor. I hope I don't muck it up.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Done with my first week of school and I am so tired everywhere.

THIS. Only with teaching.

Glad you're surviving and found a cool advisor! That bodes well!

Survived my first week back teaching. Yes, all of my classes are still huge and yes, I still feel like I'm running behind on doing ALL the things, but it's getting better.

I know a LOT of my students by name and even could build in time during picture day to get to know a lot of them more personally and today two very timid seniors who I didn't know because they're not in my classes stopped by my room to shyly ask if I would be their "SupWhoLock" Club advisor. Yes, they did mash up Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. Of course I said yes. Geekiness abounds.

I also was visited by one of my students from last year who is now in culinary arts school and seems to be doing awesomely. It's so validating when they check back in and are happy. :)

Plans for tonight include pizza and booze, and bowling with friends. :)

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
dys you are an awesome teacher! This proves it, as if we needed proof.

I try. It's hard to get through to students and I always wonder if I did, but things are looking up this year. I now just need to scare some people who really shouldn't be in journalism out of journalism, because... I think my staffers said it best when they introduced themselves to my newbies: "If you aren't ready to give this your all, we don't want you." I did not correct them. They stick a ton of work into this publication and they deserve to draw the line.

Last edited:

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
I also am getting used to using MARTA. The first few times I was bewildered but I am starting to feel more comfortable with it.

I drive past/through ATL a few times a year, on I-20.

I'm glad your first week is complete and you found a quiet place. That can make or break a day for me.

today two very timid seniors who I didn't know because they're not in my classes stopped by my room to shyly ask if I would be their "SupWhoLock" Club advisor. Yes, they did mash up Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. Of course I said yes. Geekiness abounds.
\

That is awesome, as are you.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
*wave* Morning, folk!

Couldn't sleep anymore, so I'm up at 7:30 on a Saturday.

We lost power for 2 hours last night. It came back on just in time for us to turn the lights off and go to bed. (Well, and for me to get in one round of dress up, planning my pirate outfit for Ren Fest today.)

Nervous about going. That fainting incident from last year is still lurking at the back of everyone's minds. It's foolish to associate it with the festival, but we all still think it. I've made a mental note to ask bff-the-doctor if hypothyroidism could have caused that too, because I would have been, even back at that point.

Also nervous, cause this'll be the first long- term corset wearing since before I got sick. Technically, corsets & reflux shouldn't mix, but I'm feeling so much better, so I'm going to risk it. Pictures to follow, hopefully.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just be prepared and able to loosen the corset if you need to, okay? Better that the costume not be at its best than you be flat on the ground in a rockin' getup.

In my limited experience, fainting issues are often linked to heat and dehydration adding to any underlying causes. (The low blood pressure which apparently accompanied the first day of my period was a common factor in most of my few faints.) Keep your fluid levels up even if you don't feel thirsty and finding a restroom is a PIA.

Assuming you feel okay with these precautions, have a great time and make sure you get some pictures to share with us!

Caleb, are these those silicone oven mitts? I have a pair with silicone over the fingers and thumbs, and they're melted into a smooth surface, the textured grip completely gone. If I could find traditional mitts which are as thick as the ones I bought decades ago, I'd buy them.

Dys, I think you're doing great under such a heavy workload, and I'm impressed that you're taking on a little more in the name of geekery. I wish there were more teachers like you. I read so many stories about teachers who are clearly burned out, just putting in the hours but not giving a damn, that it saddens me, both for the teacher and his or her students.

elinor, a quiet place to rest and recharge is awesome. Introverts do seem to have to expend their energy dealing with even the nicest of people (extroverts gain energy from the same thing, which is totally not fair), so having this place can save your sanity and academic career.

We've cancelled our trip to find and tend the grandparents' graves. The day we'd be there, heavy thunderstorms are predicted. I would do it in rain, but I'm not willing to risk being struck by lightning.

Maryn, funny like that

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One edit pass complete, all uses of "which" confirmed as being correct. (Of which a great many were not.) Never had editors who gave a rat's ass before, but these here ones surely do.

Maryn, inexplicably turned hillbilly

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Oh, a Ren Fest sounds like so much fun. I haven't been to one since I was a young teen. I wonder if there are ever any near me.

I took my boys to buy new shoes. That is always an ordeal. And I just put on new Jamberry wraps. My nails have little robots on them now. They make me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.