The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

a question

For those of us technically astute (and Lord knows that ain't me), since "Carl" lists his email address on his PW diatribes, wouldn't it be a fairly easy venture to find out if he really is who we suspect he is? Or are there too many roadblocks? Just a thought...

John

James D Macdonald

Re: a question

Yeah, John, he really is who we think he is.

BTW, since "Carl" says he'd like to debate me in person in front of an audience, all I can say is "bring it on, dude." How about it, Jenna? I'd come into New York to face off against Meiners on TV. The only thing is, to make it fair, I'd have to drink a fifth of whisky and have someone hit me upside the head with a 2x4 before we went on the air....

lindylou45

Re: the problem

I’m still waiting to hear from C.E. Petit, but it’s a no show so far.

Don't hold your breath. I contacted him in October and he never responded. I suppose that's just an attorney for you, but I felt it was rather rude. I've also contacted over twenty-five other lawyers, (all of whom at least responded to my query), and was told that there just isn't enough money in the case to be handled as a class action. However, if I want to spend between $3,500.00 - $5,000.00 for a retainer and possibly as much as $20,000.00, they would be more than happy to represent me. I don't have that kind of money so I'm pretty much screwed.

I will continue to do what I can to bring the PA situation to light. I wish I lived in New York, I'd love to talk to the reporter for Jenna.

Linda D. Roberts

DeePower

Found an author in New York who will go on camera!

There will probably be more in the next few days but at least we found one for now.

Dee

DaveKuzminski

James, it would still be shooting fish in a barrel. I think we'd have to hit you at least twice to make it anywhere near fair.

RaechelHendersonMoon

Re: the problem

I've always received a response from C.E. Petit, except in a couple of cases where e-mails went astray. Usually the problem is on my end, but I don't think it's impossible that your e-mail didn't reach him.

Diana Hignutt

NY interview

You guys do have point, and now that my fever has lessened a little, I see it. If a better candidate steps forward...cool beans...if not, here I am. After all, I have no ownership of Behler, I am just an employee. Frankly, I don't see us competing with PA, except that I wouldn't mind their authors buying our books too. I was one of PA's more successful authors, achieving some level of national success despite the virtual impossiblity of doing so under their system. I did get lots of media coverage, and my PA book was nominated for a national book award (Spectrum Award) but because of PA's practices book stores would scarcely touch it. I fell into the PA trap same as anybody else (except I had a bad agent recommend them to me). I share the same tale of broken promises, lies, misrepresentation, and downright sabotaging of my efforts, as many other PA authors. However, as I did actually recommend PA to several people (before I got that first royalty check--and it was way bigger than most PA authors' checks) I bear the heavy responsibility to do everything within my power to make up for that horrible mistake (lowers head in shame). I'm not 100% sure that just because I work for another publisher (who PA's paranoia believes to be out to get them) that makes me a bad canditate for a PA-centered interview. Still, I suppose others (if they step forward) without the appearence of a conflict of intersts may be better suited.

Diana

James D Macdonald

Re: Just one more: Publish Anything, The Saga of a PA Autho

Woo hoo!

There's a "rebuttal" up at Uselessknowledge.com to "PublishAmerica Is Really PrintAmerica."

PublishAmerica books can too get reviewed, the author says. By.....

...wait for it....

...the Midwest<A HREF="http://www.midwestbookreview.com/revinfo.htm> Book Review</A>!

So take that naysayers!

James D Macdonald

DUnno why

My last attempt to post this was scrod, and I can't edit 'em either.

Anyway, to finish the post:

...the Midwest Book Review!

So take that naysayers!

The claim that was supposedly being rebutted was this:
<BLOCKQUOTE> PublishAmerica is a vanity POD and legitimate book reviewers won’t review their books. Publisher’s Weekly has certainly never done so. Contact a major newspaper and ask if they’ll review a PublishAmerica title. Even most minor/local papers won’t. </blockquote>

DaveKuzminski

Re: DUnno why

So, Argile Stox posted a rebuttal containing at least one article belonging to another person, presumably without permission, on a site that claims exclusivive rights to anything posted within its pages. That should make it interesting to sort out if anyone involved decides to get legal.

James D Macdonald

Re: DUnno why

Well, reviews get posted and reposted all the time -- they're written with that end in mind. And the site's claims of exclusiveness won't hold on the review writer, since he or she didn't post it there.

I don't see a major problem from the legal side. What amused me was claiming that a review in the Midwest Book Review (amateur reviews for amateur books) rebuts the claim that PA books don't get major reviews.

I know that two PA books got reviewed by Library Journal. "Carl" claims that three were reviewed by PW but was unable or unwilling to name them. Let's say (just for the sake of argument) that on this occassion he wasn't lying. (Yeah, yeah, I know....)

PA has 7,435 books on Amazon this morning. That's a 0.07% review rate.

Now "Carl" sneered that Behler (a publisher who apparently gave him a wedgie when he was in grade school and he hasn't forgotten) only have three books reviewed by PW. Behler has 33 books listed this morning. That's a 9% review rate. Nice sneer, "Carl."

Ed Williams 3

Argile Stox sent me some kind of promo....

...email for his book the other day, I assume he thinks I review books in my weekly column, which I don't. Obviously what is going on is bothering PA, I saw a new HB post where he rehashes the same old same old about what a wonderful publisher PA is. Isn't it funny that their defenses of PA never change? PA itself uses the same trite comebacks all the time, as well as HB, Joyce, and the other tried and true PAvidians. At least you would think they could come up with some new "counterpoint" info.

Oh, before I go, I see I have been demoted from the Big Eight on the PA boards. I just want all of y'all to know that my stint, even though brief, was great, and I will still support the cause, whether at #5 or #4564.

:p

AnneMarble

Re: Seems there is a bit of a rallying of the PA troups

From Argile's e-mail:
I urge everyone to call the telephone numbers above, and try to find out who the Consumer Reporter is. I have left my comments and telephone number on the "Comment-Line", and hope that someone from the WNBC will call me back.

Do they really think this will help portray PA in a positive light?

If I were a consumer reporter doing a story like this, and my station suddenly got flooded with angry calls from staunch PA supporters, I'd probably think, "Wow, Dee Power was right." :D

But who knows? That's just me, and IANACR (I am not a consumer reporter).

DaveKuzminski

I wonder how long it will be until someone at PA realizes that the reporters, being reporters, will ask questions of those who call and order everyone not to call?

Dhewco

Consumer Reports is what will stop a reader from buying a PA author? wow, didn't know they had that power.

As you may not know, I am not a PA author. I'm sure there are some very readable books from them. An online friend has her book published by them and has had some success with her niche and very focused non-fiction book.

I think their sales are hurt by the facts that have been mentioned here:

24.95 for a 300 page softback book.

Editing that seems to be substandard...keep in mind, I've only read a few samples off the PA sites.

Sales tactics devoted to selling to authors.

I'm sure I'm missing some. But those are the main ones that could hurt even the author with a stellar marketing background.

Just my two cents,

David

GigiSahi

New Year, new beginnings

I am a PA author living in NY. I do not wish to be interviewed nor do I wish to speak out against PA any further. Do not misunderstand me. I am by no means a happy PA author. True enough, when I first signed with PA, in March of this year, I, like all newly signed PA authors, was singing their praises. Slowly, I began to learn of their substandard publishing practices and began to see PA for what it is. That realization, however, was too little too late.

My three (3) requests to PA to terminate my contract have been denied. I've written to the MD AG's office, only to later learn that it was the wrong agency to send a complaint of this nature. I've complained to the BBB and have yet to receive a reply. I've signed the petition. I've contacted an attorney - who did not take my case. And I've warned all unpublished authors I've communicated with, roughly thirty (30), both in person and online, against doing business with PA.

After all is said and done, my PA novel is presently in the cover design phase and will be "available" late January/early February 2005. When my PA novel becomes available I will do as much to promote it as PA will, which we all know is absolutely nothing. Needless to say, I am not pleased about this and feel that all my efforts have been in vain. I believe when writers sit down to pen a work that they put their best literary foot forward. I know I did. To later have that work stolen by an unscrupulous scam publisher is rather disheartening. I've brooded about it. I've written letters. I've ranted and I've raved. I fought the good fight. Rather than celebrating a victory, in the end, I am forced to accept a loss. I've come to accept that loss. My work here is done.

So, I've now moved on. I've changed my pen name, I've written a couple other novels and I've been querying my a$$ off. In fact, my queries are beginning to pay off. I've heard back from a legitimate publisher. Ironically, this publisher was actually my first pick for the novel that PA has. Unfortunately, PA beat them to the punch. But, it seems that I've managed to pique the curiosity of an associate editor over at the legit publishing house. She's requested that I send them a detailed synopsis. That synopsis is going in the mail first thing Monday morning.

A New Year is approaching. I don't believe in carrying old year's problems into the New Year. I'm just superstitious that way. New Year, new beginnings. PublishAmerica who?

Best of luck to all of you who are still fighting the good fight. I sincerely hope that it pans out in your favor.

Happy Holidays and a most prosperous New Year to you all!

Muah,
the artist formerly known as Gigi Sahi

triceretops

Re: New Year, new beginnings

Gigi

You're quite the Braveheart. There is solace in a confession such as yours, but it only proves that you are a true writer, and have prevailed. The fact that you produced a book script is proof of that enough. Your die-hard conviction to promote and distinguish your work, against all odds, is a tribute to this entire forum. Your attitude is exemplary, having shown us, I'm sure, the true heart of the vast majority
of PA authors.

Triceratops

absolutewrite

Gigi, thank you for that post, and best to you in moving onward and upward!

An e-mail I just sent to someone who asked me to remove a post from here:

I'd like to make a few comments to you because it seems a few PAers have entirely the wrong impression of Absolute Write and our members. I would welcome you to post this to your group, the private board, or wherever else you like.

First: None of us are trying to hurt PA authors or book sales. We're trying to do the exact opposite: help you get fair treatment from PA and force PA to clean up its act so it will become possible for authors to have real bookstore sales.

I don't know you/your background with PA, but I will assume a few things--

I assume you know by now that most bookstores will not stock PA books. I assume you know that that's not what PA says, and that when an author questions this on the boards, the posts get removed. I think it's terribly unfair and misleading that authors are led to believe their books will be available on store shelves, only to find later that all "available" means is that someone can walk in and specifically go to the counter and place an order for the book (MAYBE).

There is also a rumor going around PA that books don't wind up on bookstore shelves unless they're published by a big house and receive a big promotional campaign. I can prove to you that this isn't so. I've had several books published by small presses, no major promo campaigns, and my books are on shelves across the country. The lines that PA feeds its authors to make it seem like there's this huge gap between "regular writers" and celebrity authors is just untrue.

You also know, I'm sure, how difficult it is to get reviews of PA books. There are many reasons for this, among them that PA does not substantively edit their books. I have read several PA books and I'm sure you also know that many have gotten through the "spelling and grammar check" with many errors remaining. So not only are the books not edited for substance, but even the spelling and grammar checks are not thorough. Few reviewers will bother with books that are unedited. Further, few reviewers will bother reviewing books that won't be available to the general public on store shelves.

The cover prices for PA books are unrealistic. If you had a choice between going to the store and picking up a novel by an author you already know and love for $9, or picking up a novel by an unknown author for $25, which would you choose? The pricing is not attractive to consumers, therefore not attractive to bookstores, libraries, etc. PA says the pricing is "what the market will bear." That's only true if the market is defined as "authors' friends and family." Friends and family will pay inflated prices out of love and loyalty; the general public will not.

The "no returns" policy that PA pretends is a great thing for authors is, of course, a terrible thing for authors. It's yet another reason for bookstores to ignore PA books. No matter what PA tells you, the industry standard is that books are sold on consignment to stores; any that remain unsold are either returned in whole, or covers are stripped and returned, and the store gets full credit for their unsold stock. PA makes it impossible for stores to take a risk-- and they even expect payment in advance, when it's standard for stores to have a few months to pay for the books it orders.

I could go on and on, but my point is this:

The authors who are fighting right now are not doing so to harm your book sales. We're fighting to get PA to be honest about what it offers so others won't be misled into believing that they're signing with a "traditional publisher" (no one in the legitimate book industry sees PA as a traditional publisher) who will help them get real distribution and marketing.

When you go to a bookstore, do you pay any attention to the name of the publisher on a book? Please think about this honestly before you worry about individuals who would be dissuaded from buying PA books because of a TV report... do you really think any of them would pick up a book, then turn to the copyright page and see it's published by PA, then say, "Well, I was going to buy this book, but now I see it's published by PA, and I saw a consumer report saying that publisher treats its authors unfairly, so I won't buy it now!"

Honestly, it won't happen, especially because PA books are almost never on bookstore shelves anyway.

My heart gets broken every time I see a PA author come into this with such high hopes and optimism that they're dealing with a publisher who will come through on their word. I can't stand it when authors get discouraged from writing because they find out the whole PA system is set up to DISCOURAGE the general public from ever seeing its books. There are some real gems in there, and I'm heartbroken to know that they will never make more than a few hundred sales (if the author pushes like crazy), when they deserve to make tens of thousands of sales.

I hope some of this will make sense to you and that you will see that we're not trying to be your enemies. I welcome you to come over to Absolute Write and talk about this with us.

Regards,
Jenna Glatzer

absolutewrite

Dear Trapped, yes, that is another common problem. I don't know how PA decides where it'll send review copies, but I do know that most PA authors simply pay the money to buy their own books and mail out their own review copies because PA rarely agrees to send out copies.

That's yet another reason they're not a "traditional publisher." I send my publishers requests to send out review copies about twice a week, and they have NEVER-- not once-- turned me down. Publishers typically send out at least a hundred review copies without the author ever having to beg. It's one of the most cost-effective ways to get publicity.

Whachawant

Hey Jenna,

Did you click on that link? Read the answer that some guy gave her.....

quote " ...I would contact them and just tell them that PA is very specific about who they send review copies to. Simply because sending copies costs them money and publications have to meet certain criteria. If you want the reviews done, simply offer them a copy of your own and ask that it be returned so you can send it to other reviewers, for the same reason: The books cost you money and you have only set one aside as a review copy."......WOW

O.K. .. now my question.. "Would it not be cost effective and more convenient to just send it as a PDF file??"

Ed Williams 3

Well, this should surprise no one...

...but the PA thread about Dee and the "Big Eight" is now but a memory on the PA boards.

absolutewrite

Re: Found an author in New York who will go on camera!

Whacha: yes, if the reviewer will agree to it, it's definitely in the authors' interest to send PDFs. However, most reviewers for major newspapers and magazines will not accept electronic review copies. You can get reviews in e-zines that way sometimes, though.

Ed: Phooey. But you'll always be one of the Big 8 in my heart. ;)

I'm getting frustrated that there's still a belief circulating PA that we're "conspiring" against them. Can someone explain the gap in communication to me? I'm not understanding. I feel like it's really obvious that we're on the authors' side and just trying to help them get better treatment and honesty from their publisher. How does that get turned into a bad thing?

Dhewco

Do these guys even read the posts they're responding to?

The first post mentions, "publications that request..." But the last (third) post says, "review copies are only sent to the media, not RETAILERS..."

what publications are retailers sending reviews in?

David

btw, I'm responding to the PA link at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.