The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
Crunchy,
Unfortunately, most of them fight with PA and end up giving up. We can see from how long you all have been in this fight that is the devil getting someone who is in a position to do something,TO DO SOMETHING! It's crazy, but from what I can see, they continue getting wrong checks and try to get it fixed, but it never is. How to prove something with this, "we don't get paid right away for all books" deal? There has to be a way to prove this isn't true. But I haven't found how to do that yet

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Lisa Y said:

Sigh. There must be a way for you to get out of your contract.
[/QUO
TE]

Lisa, I’m going to do everything I can to get out of it.

I tell you people, I don’t know how I do it but sometimes I end up in the twilight zone on this board. :confused: I just left two messages about the reputation box and thanking all of you who have left messages and not responding because I didn’t know they were there. Also about starting a yearly campout for all of us when I move up to the hill country. If anyone finds those messages the details are there.

Chris, that makes my stomach turn about your friend. Pa is evil!

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
I don't know how I do it

:Headbang: Well, I shut down, ended up where my messages were and then shut down again and ended up back here.
Brought the messages with me...

WHOOOOHOOOOO

I wanted to say thanks to all of you that have left a message on my reputation box. I didn’t even know that the message “thing” existed so forgive me for not responding. I really feel welcomed here and I am glad that I have found AW and all these neat people. When I get up in the hill country I want to have a big weekend or weeklong event for all the writers of AW. I would love to make it a yearly event. I love camping out, barbeques, good music and sitting around the campfire. I have a son that has a band and I have a lot of musician friends so we could have music, writing contest and all kinds of fun. Set up booths, whatever you all want to do. How does that sound? Give me your take on it and what time of the year you all get vacations. Remember this is Texas; it might be best to make it a fall fest. It’s really nice here in the fall. You can still swim....
:idea:
I just had another idea. We could sell our books, art or whatever else you have. We will be near Austin so a lot of stuff goes on….

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
Chris, may I have your permission please?

I will keep this poor fellow in prayer. I hear stories like this all the time during the course of doing cult research, and one's heart never ceases to be broken every time a new story comes to the forefront. Would you mind if I passed it along to those writing organizations and circles to which I belong. Your permission would be greatly appreciated.

bikrpreacher said:
My favorite PA author and good friend emailed me today. I had been getting updates from his newsletter, and we email each other off and on, hoping for good days, better days.
This last letter was/is over the edge though. This man has spent roughly $54,000 in promoting his book, which all proceeds were to go to charity.
This is a noble man, a good man. In his estimate, because of speaking engagements, friends, writing groups he participates in, he thought he would have sold a great number of books. In fact, this man thought it would have been in the thousands because of all the people he is in contact with who said they bought the book. He sold, according to PublishAmerica, 104 books.
My friend says he is a failure. He missed his goal. He says that he will communicate until the end of the month, where, unless a miracle occurs, he will be homeless.
I have known this man from the beginning of my association with PublishAmerica. I doubt if there is another author who has done as much as he in promoting, or spent as much money as he has. He has had numerous reviews and articles in papers, and was slated to go on a national television show soon. Of course, as mentioned above, he is out of money so I don't see him making that engagement. He said this is the end of the road. He should have been PA's number one seller. If anyone should have sold more books it would be this man.
He has been told in his life that he was a failure, and now believes it has been proven. Of course, this man is NOT a failure, PublishAmerica is the one who made him feel that way though. I can't prove that he didn't sell only 104 books, but as said, I have watched him and I don't see how he could have sold so few.
I am now even more determined to get something done about the business practices of this company. There are too many people who say they should have sold more books.
PA, HB, all of the boosters of PA, you all are just sick. You look at people like they aren't real, you have sucked the life out of the last writer. You have ruined the last life. As we hear more, and see more, we are just more determined to stay the line and get things done. HB, you are so full of crap. My God, how in the world do you sleep at night. I know you are happy with your little royalty check, but we are talking about someone here who was going to give all that to KIDS! As to this post of yours:

Have fun while you can little man.
You have no credibility as a writer outside of the little PA playground.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Ed Williams said:
For PA authors reading this, in the end, your company is fleecing you re royalty payments.
I have no doubt that this is so. I've seen documentation.

However, I think that at least some of the distress we're seeing now is the result of unrealistic expectations. Basing your sales expectations on B&N.com numbers or your position on the "bestseller list" of PA books on Amazon (folks, this feature DOES NOT WORK the way you think it does--not to mention, what's a "bestseller" for a publisher whose average author sells less than 100 books?) is a recipe for disappointment.

It would NOT surprise me--no, not at all, not a teensy bit--if an audit of PA revealed serious accounting problems. But I think that a lot of the folks who are sure they sold more books than what's reflected on their royalty statements are simply coming face to face with the reality of publishing with a company like PA.

- Victoria

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PS Chris and other authors who question PA's sales figures

One thing you might want to do is contact Ingram and find out how many copies of your book they moved last year. This is not the be-all and end-all, but it gives a pretty good industry indication, especially since most on-line book distributors order through Ingram. Simply call 615-213-6803 and give the ISBN number.

Please note not all books will move through Ingrams, however, if PA is seriously lowballing the numbers then you might end up discovering that Ingrams alleges to have moved more books than PA on the royalty statement. What's truly ironic, were this to happen, is that PA could not claim returns since PA books (with only a few exceptions) are non-returnable!

PS Chris, I think I know who you are talking about, and this really breaks my heart since I found him a very kind and gentle soul when scanning the PA board. In fact, I probably would have bought his book excpet that it was PA and quite pricey.

Last edited:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
bikrpreacher said:
He sold, according to PublishAmerica, 104 books.
My friend says he is a failure. He missed his goal. He says that he will communicate until the end of the month, where, unless a miracle occurs, he will be homeless.
This may be THE most distressing PA experience I've heard yet. PA ought to be roasted on a spit in the fiery furnace for this. This is just appalling. :(

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Chris, that is so SAD! :( That poor man. Yes, please see if you can get him to come here. Perhaps we can convince him that *he's* not the failure, his <ahem> "publisher" is.

ANd I didn't see a serious answer for what is that "Mental Imageing <sic>" method of writing that tells a story through scenes and not dialogue. Don't know about anyone else, but my scenes include dialogue.

Is this some new, wonderful writing technique, or what?

James, thanks for straightening out the earned-out/un-earned-out advance thing. :)

Susan G.

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
Gratian Gasparri - you have mail.

. To PublishAmerica authors who might be reading this, I have to say:
If you take what PA has done, all the roadblocks they have set in your way, everything you are finding to be true, if you take this anywhere, take it to the fight. Do NOT take it as personal failure. It's not your fault. It's like a bad review, I read in the forum here http://www.tavonreiman.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi as one person puts it, it's just one opinion. PublishAmerica is running a great scam, and it's put together very well. Don't take it in a way that you blame yourself for lack of sales, it's not your fault. PublishAmerica doesn't want you to sell thousands, or even really hundreds of books, they don't have the people or the time to put into your being a success. They want you to buy your books right after it's printed, and that's really all they want.
I read the PA boards and see that the people who tried to hardest, were the most encouraging, are the ones who are heartbroken...to you I say, it's not your book, it's publishamerica. If more would venture out of that message board they would see there are ways we can all fight this.
Don't let yourself get depressed over this.
PA has a target, it's the one's who would write of their struggles. I'm one who did that.
My mother is in her mid seventies, and I'll never hear her voice again. My younger brother will never speak to me again, yes, I knew this would happen and I made the decision to write it anyway, but thought I'd have a chance for a bigger audience.
Not only that, I spent over $450 to buy 50 of my books, but knowing that PA never read it, have only given a few copies away. I am not validated as a writer. How can you be validated by someone who didn't even bother to read your book? You can't.
My children, 18, 20, 23...they love my book, and I wouldn't expect anything less of them. When I did let one person review it, I told her to just review the story, not anything else because it was in print by then, so there was nothing I could do about any mistakes.
I have since asked for a review from someone who will give me an honest answer, it might be hard to take, but I'll take it, because I need to know. Now, I sent a manuscript to a publisher...I should already know whether I'm good enough to be published. I shouldn't be embarrassed that I have something in print, that should have been something to be proud of.
It took PublishAmerica forever to accept my first book, I was honestly afraid that they were going to turn me down. The fact that it took so long made me think that they were serious, and read the thing. The fact that they advertise that their "Specialty" is what they say it is, gave me the impression that there is a market for the book that I wrote.
As a public speaker, I can sell to my group of people...but I am afraid to try, simply because no one read my book. What kind of publisher doesn't read before they accept? The kind of publisher that has no interest at all in rather your book will sell, the kind of publisher that only wants you and some friends to buy.
There are a lot of us who have lost families because of what we have written...don't get depressed, get even. And if you do start to get depressed as I sometimes do, the people here will pick you up. Join us!

Chris

Last edited:

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
H. B. Marcus

document.gif
RE: royalty check disapointment

<snippety doo dah>...Trying to devalue the works of the rest of us is rather ignorant and I don't appreciate someone trying to hurt my publisher and my credibility as a writer. I
Gee, now I know where PA gets their repetitive statements from. I remember ol' HB screaming this at me, almost word for word. Well, okay, he's much more sweet in this version. He must have a nice little stash of canned letters like The Gruesome Threesome have. Who says HB isn't in bed with PA? Eww...I just grossed myself out.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Does PA cheat its authors?

Well, let's see:

According to PA's rebuttal to the story written by the reporter for the Associated Press - I've sold "thousands" of books. The statements they sent to me list a little over 1300.

So - either they are liars or they owe me for hundreds of books. Which is it? I hate to tell current PA authors this, but in the end, it doesn't matter. If they would post a lie about how many books I sold, they will lie about royalties. A liar is a liar is a liar is a liar. Period.

One note: I can't track sales down through Ingram because most of my sales were through Baker & Taylor and went to libraries. I just happened to hit the right person at Library Journal and received a positive review. I've talked to others who have been reviewed at LJ and their sales were much higher than mine. Odd, huh? Could there be more? Absolutely. I haven't been able to get B & T to release info to me so I haven't been able to check this out.

Now, when PA canceled my contract because they saw no sales in my future (yeah, right) I purposely ordered several books from Amazon. I ordered paperback books AND hardcover books. This was early in 2004. PA has not paid me. There is no 30, 60 or 90 day problem here, folks. It's been 10 months. They obviously have no intention of paying me.

So - do they cheat authors? The answer is a clear and resounding "yes."

There isn't any debate. I have the receipts to prove it.

Nancy

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
Let me just throw this out there. I have called Ingrams at least once a month since my book came out. It has never, ever said anything but 0 for me. My hahaha royalty statement says:
Retail discount Sale Price Quanity Royalty % Royalty Amount
-18% $13.95 6 8% 6.70
-40% $10.17 3 8% 2.44
Total amount of royalties payable: 9.14

Am I wrong to assume that they 3 would have been from Ingram? Anyone? Can we trust Ingram is really what I'm asking as far as PA books?

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
bikrpreacher said:
Let me just throw this out there. I have called Ingrams at least once a month since my book came out. It has never, ever said anything but 0 for me. My hahaha royalty statement says:
Retail discount Sale Price Quanity Royalty % Royalty Amount
-18% $13.95 6 8% 6.70
-40% $10.17 3 8% 2.44
Total amount of royalties payable: 9.14

Am I wrong to assume that they 3 would have been from Ingram? Anyone? Can we trust Ingram is really what I'm asking as far as PA books?
Yes, you can trust Ingram to be reporting the proper figures. Could these sales have come from Baker & Taylor?

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have to do more checking to understand all the places that sell, report all that. I'm pretty sure these were amazon or BN sales, but will find out. If it was one of those, would it be ingrams or Baker and Taylor?

midlander

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrya.us
I am the One Chris Spoke of Earlier

I am using a different usename than the one I use on PA.

There is a slight misunderstanding as to what I spent promoting my book...to be exact I will post the E mail that was spoken of:

End of the Road, Final Newsletter:
I am a failure!Yes, the above statement is true and this week thefull force of this realization hit me squarely in theface.You ask how I can come to this conclusion since I am apublished author with a second book suppose to bereleased this summer, had a fairly successfulprofessional career over the years?Let me re share with you the past two an a halfyears...I believe you will come to the samerealization I have.I began writing my first book in August of 2003. Itwas accepted by a publisher in September 2003 andreleased to the public in June 2004.I have in this during this, besides having my firstbook released, had published 22 articles inAdoption.Com's weekly E magazine which is subscribedto by over 125,000 weekly, Fostering Families Todaymagazine published an article which reached apotential 40,000 people. I also wrote my second bookwhich my publisher accepted in October 2004 and willrelease this summer.I have had various groups request permission toreprint some of these articles in their newsletter,which I agreed to.I belong to 15 Internet groups which I have been veryactive in. They have a combined membership of over12,000. I have begun threads or posted to threads wellover 1500 times offering advise, my experiences, etc.I have received and responded to over 3000 E mailsfrom people requesting advise as well as stating howstrongly they are behind my efforts. Some even wrotehow they have purchased my book only to be pr oven notto be true when the royalty statement was sent.I have written every state Foster Parent Association,National Education Association as well as numerousother state and over 300 non government agenciesdealing with child welfare and all but five made thechoice to ignore me. Of the five...only one carriedthrough and invited me to speak before theirorganization.I have participated in two worldwide radio/Internetinterviews. One was repeated a second time even. I will also note that 5 non child welfare groups in mysurrounding area have invited me to speak pro bono..Iaccepted each of those opportunities.I have maintained a web site which takes lots ofeffort and which has attracted over 41,000 visitors todate.Many attempts were made to reach Oprah by myself andothers. No contact was ever responded to including nosimple acknowledgment of a free book sent. Larry Elderwas contacted, Jane Pauley as well as others will noresponse. The only program to give a response was theMontel Williams Show. After numerous communicationswith them a show was scheduled, then moved back twotimes, however due to what you read as you continuereading this...I will not be able to appear. Last June, after much encouragement by many, muchthought and most importantly prayer...I made thedecision I would attempt to fulfill a lifelong dreamthat I had placed on the back burner for years. Thegoal was:To promote full time the need for reform of our childwelfare system through my book and public speaking. Ifelt having lived in the system for 18 years I hadearned the expertise to speak on the subject. Thisdecision meant giving up $4000 a month pay for thepast 8.5 months ($34,000). Using my checking andsavings account to maintain paying my financialobligations and to promote my efforts ($20,000)....Ihave worked passionately to achieve my goal. Thistotals $54,000 lost wages and expenditures. Despite all the above efforts and some not mentioned,not a single one of my goals have been achieved! I ama failure!To date the results have been:1. I had hoped my book would sell in good numbers so Icould donate nice royalties to charity.Not counting the books I personally purchased to haveavailable when I did public speaking...104 books havebeen sold since May 2004. That is correct...104 books!If just part of those who wrote me or are members ofthe groups I belong to, or some of those exposed tothe book through my many articles or even just a fewvisitors to my web site had purchased just ONE BOOKthe total I believe would have been well over 10,000books by now. This would allow me to make majordonations to the charity helping children that I haddesignated as the recipient of all royalties. To datethose royalties have been have been almost nill.Even only a small portion of my personal mailing listhas purchased the book.Thus despite all the good people said about the bookand my needing to share it this has proven to be atotal failure for me! I did not author the book tobecome rich and famous...it was to help other! If thishow things are going to go, I can only imagine thefailure of the second book when it becomes available.As a side note, if I had sold over 10,000 books Iwould have become the top seller ever for my publisherand would have been able to have my book printed as ahard cover book, received national promotional helpfrom my publisher and it would have also beenavailable in brick and motor stores rather than juston line or through my publisher.This is failure #1!2. I had hoped to develop a program of paid speakingopportunities to share my personal story along withthe need for child welfare reform. To date I have made an agreement but for one smallpaidspeaking opportunity which is scheduled for nextmonth. It is with a group not connected to childwelfare reform. I have spoken to groups associatedwith child welfare but they have been non paid andcovered expenses only. I am thankful for those fewopportunities. However, as stated earlier, theoverwhelming number of groups I contacted ignored mecompletely. The few who responded kept me hanging formonths at a time before making the decision to goelsewhere for a speaker. I had hoped through speakingopportunities that I would earn just enough to covermy financial obligations which would allow me todevote full time to trying to help kids caught up inour child welfare system so they would not have to gothrough what I did as a child. All I have accomplished to date is to run through myown finances to where I am now on the verge ofbankruptcy, homelessness and as obvious failure.This is failure #2!Finally, because of the above two failures I havebecome a failure to myself. At the end of this monthmy bank account will reach ZERO! I will be unable tomeet any of my financial obligations...this includeseven providing a roof over my own head. I do not knowif my web site will be able to be maintained, if Iwill be able to receive and respond to E mails to me,to participate in the groups I have been so active inor to make any further efforts in reaching any of thegoals I had hoped to achieve. Also the second bookwill be in jeopardy as I need Internet access to beable to do the final editing/cover art design workwith the publisher prior to release.Thus I can only conclude the decision the foster caresystem made about me 44 years ago has become areality. They determined me a failure and now I havebecome one.I have never given up on anything in my life. I havealways found a way to continue no matter the odds.This is however one time I have to realize I can go nofurther...I must give up my dreams, aspirations andhopes to be able to help the children I so desperatelyand passionately have been working for and admit Ihave failed...I am a failure. The end of the road hasbeen hit!I have found and met some extended family these pasttwo years as you are amongst those receiving thisletter, however, I have never asked anyone for helpin my life, I have always made it on my own...thus Icannot and will not go to them for assistance. Onecousin lovingly gave me a place to live for six weekswhen I moved to Michigan to be closer to family. Sheallowed me to save expenses for six weeks while Ifound my own place. If it had not been for thiskindness I could not have lasted as long as I have.I will ask someone to hold the things I have that arenear and dear to me, the rest I will just have to giveup and do what over 60% of foster care kids do...onlyI am having to do it at age 55...that is take to thestreets and become homeless at the end of the month.I will respond to E mails and participate in groupsuntil this date comes. After then, I don't know when Iwill be able to come back.I have one slim outstanding opportunity for a new job.If this one opportunity fails I am done. Even if itcomes through, I will not have the financial means topay for at least next month's obligations thus wouldstill have to take to the streets for at least a monthor two to be able to get on my feet again.It has become obvious during this whole effort thatmany people at least indicate verbally how much theycare about children, how appreciative they were that Iwas in the fight, etc.....however when it came tostanding behind me whether through book purchases orpaid speaking engagements, that was asking too muchfor most.I thank those who purchased the 104 books so a littlebit could be donated to charity. I thank the few whogave me an opportunity to speak publicly of my storyand the need for reform, whether in one case you paidme and the others just offered an opportunity.I still very deep within my soul believe my goals wereright, the message was right...I just have probablybeen the wrong messenger. I have gotten the message, Ican only allow myself to be beaten times for so longand stop beating my head against a wall beforerealizing the battle has been lost. There comes a timefor one to realize and accept the fact they havefailed.Thus as the final outcome, I must declare I realizetoday I have failed, the battle is over for me, I havearrived at the end of the road!I have been praying for a miracle as I try to holdonto my faith, and will continue to do so until thebitter end...but it has become more difficult witheach passing day as the darkness of night rapidlydescends upon me.I do not write this for the purpose of receivingsympathy or to whine and whimper. It is just astatement of fact that I and those who know me nowhave to accept.Peace be to all of you!Larry~ In 2003, Lawrence P. Adams wrote the poignant book of life through the eyes of a throw away child entitled: "Lost Son? A Bastard Child's Journey of Hope, Search, Discovery and Healing." It was released in 2004. He authored in 2004 yet another inspirational and moving book, "A Voice from the Voiceless and Forgotten." He hopes it will bring about the beginning of change within the child welfare system. The book will be released during the summer of 2005. Mr. Adams has also had numerous articles published of the need for child welfare reform. Author's web site: http://www.larrya.us

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
bikrpreacher said:
Thanks, I'll have to do more checking to understand all the places that sell, report all that. I'm pretty sure these were amazon or BN sales, but will find out. If it was one of those, would it be ingrams or Baker and Taylor?
There is no way for you to know where the sales came from since PA doesn't give out that information. The two main book warehouses are Ingram and Baker & Taylor. If Ingram says they haven't had any on hand, perhaps Baker & Taylor did. Though, the whole thing is confusing to me since the whole POD thing blew up and they weren't going to carry POD books. Who knows?

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.yah
bikrpreacher said:
Gratian Gasparri - you have mail.

Thanks Christine. The sad part, regardless of whether I have guessed the right individual or not, is that he probably did not sell too many books. I think I know who it is, and if right I found him a very kind and gentle soul who really busted his butt to promote this book -- not for personal prestige, but to help others who faces similar circustances as children.

Nevertheless, the painful truth is that when I ran the numbers through Ingram's automated phone line (again, assuming I guessed the right individual), Ingram's numbers were consistent with those of PA. Thus one of the sad realities about the situation is not that PA's numbers are innacurate, but that they are probably accurate. In short, this is a book that ought to have gone places or at least performed respectably in its niche market. (Keeping in mind the ever-present caveat that I'm assuming I have guessed the right individual).

This is also why those of us published with traditional publishers (even if one is at the bottom of the pecking order like I am) keep speaking out against PA. We're not trying to be snobbish or exclusive or keep you out of the club. Rather, the opposite is true, we want you to join us and we don't want you being taken advantage of by literary scams. Thus this is not about snubbing PA authors, but about telling them they deserve better.

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
Midlander,

I know you from the PA boards and have always been impressed with the mission of your book. As Chris has said, you were always the positive person that never had a bad thing to say about anyone or anything!

What I want you to know is that you are NOT alone! PA has left a swath of devastation in every author's path and you must NOT feel that it has a darn thing with anything you have done.

It makes my heart hurt to think this has happenend to you because of the important work your book was doing. Don't give up the mission...the means that you deliver it might change, but the importance of the message can't be squelched.

Welcome to AW

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Midlander.

You are not a failure. PA deliberately makes it difficult for people to buy your book. THEY failed YOU.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
midlander said:
I am using a different usename than the one I use on PA.

There is a slight misunderstanding as to what I spent promoting my book...to be exact I will post the E mail that was spoken of:

End of the Road, Final Newsletter:
I am a failure! Yes, the above statement is true and this week the full force of this realization hit me squarely in the face. You ask how I can come to this conclusion since I am a published author with a second book suppose to be released this summer, had a fairly successful professional career over the years? Let me re share with you the past two an a half years...I believe you will come to the same realization I have.

I began writing my first book in August of 2003. It was accepted by a publisher in September 2003 and released to the public in June 2004.I have in this during this, besides having my first book released, had published 22 articles in Adoption.com's weekly E magazine which is subscribed to by over 125,000 weekly, Fostering Families Today magazine published an article which reached a potential 40,000 people. I also wrote my second book which my publisher accepted in October 2004 and will release this summer. I have had various groups request permission to reprint some of these articles in their newsletter, which I agreed to. I belong to 15 Internet groups which I have been very active in. They have a combined membership of over12,000. I have begun threads or posted to threads well over 1500 times offering advise, my experiences, etc. I have received and responded to over 3000 E mails from people requesting advise as well as stating how strongly they are behind my efforts. Some even wrote how they have purchased my book only to be proven not to be true when the royalty statement was sent.

I have written every state Foster Parent Association, National Education Association as well as numerous other state and over 300 non government agencies dealing with child welfare and all but five made the choice to ignore me. Of the five...only one carried through and invited me to speak before their organization. I have participated in two worldwide radio/Internet interviews. One was repeated a second time even. I will also note that 5 non child welfare groups in my surrounding area have invited me to speak pro bono. .I accepted each of those opportunities. I have maintained a web site which takes lots of effort and which has attracted over 41,000 visitors to date. Many attempts were made to reach Oprah by myself and others. No contact was ever responded to including no simple acknowledgment of a free book sent. Larry Elder was contacted, Jane Pauley as well as others will no response.

The only program to give a response was the Montel Williams Show. After numerous communications with them a show was scheduled, then moved back two times, however due to what you read as you continue reading this...I will not be able to appear. Last June, after much encouragement by many, much thought and most importantly prayer...I made the decision I would attempt to fulfill a lifelong dream that I had placed on the back burner for years. The goal was: To promote full time the need for reform of our child welfare system through my book and public speaking. I felt having lived in the system for 18 years I had earned the expertise to speak on the subject. This decision meant giving up $4000 a month pay for the past 8.5 months ($34,000). Using my checking and savings account to maintain paying my financial obligations and to promote my efforts ($20,000)....I have worked passionately to achieve my goal. This totals $54,000 lost wages and expenditures. Despite all the above efforts and some not mentioned, not a single one of my goals have been achieved! I am a failure!

To date the results have been:1. I had hoped my book would sell in good numbers so I could donate nice royalties to charity. Not counting the books I personally purchased to have available when I did public speaking...104 books have been sold since May 2004. That is correct...104 books! If just part of those who wrote me or are members of the groups I belong to, or some of those exposed to the book through my many articles or even just a few visitors to my web site had purchased just ONE BOOK the total I believe would have been well over 10,000 books by now. This would allow me to make major donations to the charity helping children that I had designated as the recipient of all royalties. To date those royalties have been have been almost nill. Even only a small portion of my personal mailing list has purchased the book. Thus despite all the good people said about the book and my needing to share it this has proven to be a total failure for me! I did not author the book to become rich and famous...it was to help other! If this how things are going to go, I can only imagine the failure of the second book when it becomes available. As a side note, if I had sold over 10,000 books I would have become the top seller ever for my publisher and would have been able to have my book printed as a hard cover book, received national promotional help from my publisher and it would have also been available in brick and motor stores rather than just on line or through my publisher. This is failure #1!

2. I had hoped to develop a program of paid speaking opportunities to share my personal story along with the need for child welfare reform. To date I have made an agreement but for one small paid speaking opportunity which is scheduled for next month. It is with a group not connected to child welfare reform. I have spoken to groups associated with child welfare but they have been non paid and covered expenses only. I am thankful for those few opportunities. However, as stated earlier, the overwhelming number of groups I contacted ignored me completely. The few who responded kept me hanging for months at a time before making the decision to go elsewhere for a speaker. I had hoped through speaking opportunities that I would earn just enough to cover my financial obligations which would allow me to devote full time to trying to help kids caught up in our child welfare system so they would not have to go through what I did as a child. All I have accomplished to date is to run through my own finances to where I am now on the verge of bankruptcy, homelessness and as obvious failure. This is failure #2!

Finally, because of the above two failures I have become a failure to myself. At the end of this month my bank account will reach ZERO! I will be unable to meet any of my financial obligations...this includes even providing a roof over my own head. I do not know if my web site will be able to be maintained, if I will be able to receive and respond to E mails to me, to participate in the groups I have been so active in or to make any further efforts in reaching any of the goals I had hoped to achieve. Also the second book will be in jeopardy as I need Internet access to be able to do the final editing/cover art design work with the publisher prior to release. Thus I can only conclude the decision the foster care system made about me 44 years ago has become a reality. They determined me a failure and now I have become one. I have never given up on anything in my life. I have always found a way to continue no matter the odds. This is however one time I have to realize I can go no further...I must give up my dreams, aspirations and hopes to be able to help the children I so desperately and passionately have been working for and admit I have failed...I am a failure. The end of the road has been hit!

I have found and met some extended family these past two years as you are amongst those receiving this letter, however, I have never asked anyone for help in my life, I have always made it on my own...thus I cannot and will not go to them for assistance. One cousin lovingly gave me a place to live for six weeks when I moved to Michigan to be closer to family. She allowed me to save expenses for six weeks while I found my own place. If it had not been for this kindness I could not have lasted as long as I have. I will ask someone to hold the things I have that are near and dear to me, the rest I will just have to give up and do what over 60% of foster care kids do...only I am having to do it at age 55...that is take to the streets and become homeless at the end of the month. I will respond to E mails and participate in groups until this date comes. After then, I don't know when I will be able to come back. I have one slim outstanding opportunity for a new job. If this one opportunity fails I am done. Even if it comes through, I will not have the financial means to pay for at least next month's obligations thus would still have to take to the streets for at least a month or two to be able to get on my feet again. It has become obvious during this whole effort that many people at least indicate verbally how much they care about children, how appreciative they were that I was in the fight, etc.....however when it came to standing behind me whether through book purchases or paid speaking engagements, that was asking too much for most.

I thank those who purchased the 104 books so a little bit could be donated to charity. I thank the few who gave me an opportunity to speak publicly of my story and the need for reform, whether in one case you paid me and the others just offered an opportunity. I still very deep within my soul believe my goals were right, the message was right...I just have probably been the wrong messenger. I have gotten the message, I can only allow myself to be beaten times for so long and stop beating my head against a wall before realizing the battle has been lost. There comes a time for one to realize and accept the fact they have failed. Thus as the final outcome, I must declare I realize today I have failed, the battle is over for me, I have arrived at the end of the road! I have been praying for a miracle as I try to hold onto my faith, and will continue to do so until the bitter end...but it has become more difficult with each passing day as the darkness of night rapidly descends upon me.

I do not write this for the purpose of receiving sympathy or to whine and whimper. It is just a statement of fact that I and those who know me now have to accept. Peace be to all of you!

Larry~ In 2003, Lawrence P. Adams wrote the poignant book of life through the eyes of a throw away child entitled: "Lost Son? A Bastard Child's Journey of Hope, Search, Discovery and Healing." It was released in 2004. He authored in 2004 yet another inspirational and moving book, "A Voice from the Voiceless and Forgotten." He hopes it will bring about the beginning of change within the child welfare system. The book will be released during the summer of 2005. Mr. Adams has also had numerous articles published of the need for child welfare reform. Author's web site: http://www.larrya.us

i hope you don't mind that i added some paragraph breaks for you. i wanted to read this, but i kept losing my place.

Status
Not open for further replies.